New Pdl Teams

jaydog2006

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I read that the Odgen team might be playing in the Northwest division. Granted they need a few more teams, but a trip to Utah is rather long from the Northwest.

Northern Virginia finally moves down from USL2/D3 Pro. They have been struggling for years. Oddly enough, there is a book available by someone who followed the team for a year - I think it is available on amazon.

It looks like the rumoured Kelowna PDL club did not happen this year.

Word has it that the Ogden club will join the Brigham Young University club (also out of Utah) in the Northwest Division. Teams will at least be able to do a two game road trip when they go.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

It looks like the rumoured Kelowna PDL club did not happen this year.

Word has it that the Ogden club will join the Brigham Young University club (also out of Utah) in the Northwest Division. Teams will at least be able to do a two game road trip when they go.

Jason

I saw a provisional Fury home fixture list a couple of weeks ago & it didn't include either Ogden or BYU - no problem , I guess they can be added in. It didn't appear to include Reading or Ocean City - were my eyes deceiving me or have they dropped out?

Northern Virginia finally moves down from USL2/D3 Pro. They have been struggling for years. Oddly enough, there is a book available by someone who followed the team for a year - I think it is available on amazon.

That's been on my list of books to read for quite a while now. The guy who wrote it played for them for a bit.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

That's been on my list of books to read for quite a while now. The guy who wrote it played for them for a bit.

Thoroughly enjoyed the book whose title is UNLUCKY: A SEASON OF STRUGGLE IN MINOR LEAGUE PROFESSIONAL SOCCER. The author(Dave Ungrady) trained with them for the entire season with the hope of playing with them at least part of one game. I won't spoil it by telling you if he did or not but I will say that we get a really excellent behind the scenes look at what lower-league pros have to face. The players did not get paid that year but they were all expected to train 4 or 5 days a week and go on road trips and leave their paying jobs when needed. Six different keepers played for the team including DC United keepers Tom Presthus(1 game) and Mark Simpson (a half dozen or so). Simpson's case is the most interesting as he was coming off knee surgery and was not getting any playing time with DC United so he agreed to play a few games with the Royals to work himself back into shape. The horrible conditions in the high school stadiums they played in is also something of an eye-opener as is the lack of organization when it came to road trips. In many cases the team rented several minivans to travel instead of a bus because it was simply cheaper(but much less comfortable). Other fun moments occur when the team has to play three games in three days or when the players(who are travelling in separate vans) don't have a clue what hotel they are staying in.

Do yourself a favour and read this if you love North American soccer. You will never see the players(who sacrifice a great deal just to be able to play) in the same way again.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Thoroughly enjoyed the book whose title is UNLUCKY: A SEASON OF STRUGGLE IN MINOR LEAGUE PROFESSIONAL SOCCER. The author(Dave Ungrady) trained with them for the entire season with the hope of playing with them at least part of one game. I won't spoil it by telling you if he did or not but I will say that we get a really excellent behind the scenes look at what lower-league pros have to face. The players did not get paid that year but they were all expected to train 4 or 5 days a week and go on road trips and leave their paying jobs when needed. Six different keepers played for the team including DC United keepers Tom Presthus(1 game) and Mark Simpson (a half dozen or so). Simpson's case is the most interesting as he was coming off knee surgery and was not getting any playing time with DC United so he agreed to play a few games with the Royals to work himself back into shape. The horrible conditions in the high school stadiums they played in is also something of an eye-opener as is the lack of organization when it came to road trips. In many cases the team rented several minivans to travel instead of a bus because it was simply cheaper(but much less comfortable). Other fun moments occur when the team has to play three games in three days or when the players(who are travelling in separate vans) don't have a clue what hotel they are staying in.

Do yourself a favour and read this if you love North American soccer. You will never see the players(who sacrifice a great deal just to be able to play) in the same way again.

PDL W-league is about a well organized as the CPSl. Some good teams (Ottawa comes to mind) but the majority do travel in minivans, play in crap Fields.

I know that even the Boston Renegades travel to Ottawa in vans. And they've been at the top for years.

But then again, as Richard would say "buyer beware" and these kids don't have to play.

Hahh... that is a good one Kelly.

The CPSL is poorly organized. Games were cancelled the day before they were supposed to play with no notice. Look at the mess that occured with the playoffs this year in the CPSL??? Look at how the Wizards left the playoff tournament two years ago the day before the games were supposed to be played??? The CPSL is a mess of a league and I can give you many more examples.

Crap fields? Have you seen any of the CPSL fields? [|)]

The CPSL could only dream to be as well organized as the PDL.

how many PDL teams showed up in Ottawa with 10-13 players?

And I do think in Ottawa the Wizards created more of a buzz and had bigger (if you count 500- bigger) crowds than the PDL team. AND more importantly the players did get paid.

How many??? Three.... Reason being because the PDL teams only had to cross the border once. Thus, they couldn't afford to tinker with their roster to make sure they had enough players to cross the border. Some players couldn't come into Canada because of Visa issues. That isn't a league problem. It is a team issue more then anything. Granted, the teams knew this going into the season, but obviously they weren't too worried.

The Wizards had a little more buzz - cheaper tickets does help, as does a winning team.

Frankly, I enjoyed the CPSL better in terms of entertainment, I'm not arguing that point. I just don't think the CPSL is more organized then the PDL. The CPSL would fight amongst themselves to figure out the best way to get out of a paper bag.

I'l add my two cents having never seen a CPSL or a PDL game. At the end of the day both do not offer anything but a place to play. In both as a player, you won't really make enough money to live.

Novice hockey outdraws both. I'm sure that the Ottawa Fury is one of the better organized team, just as the Wizards were. But both leagues from what I read have teams run like rec squads.

I don't consider the "idea" of either the PDL or CPSL developing players to hold much water. The PDL players get their real training at school and if you're 21 playing CPSL don't hold your breath for a pro contract.

but hey- both are better than a punch to the head.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

The cpsl has been called a beer league and that very well could be true.For the most part the cpsl is the last resort for players.The pdl is more of a ncaa summer league players in this league have futures.

with much sarcaism...

Yes they could make 15k a year playing USl 1 or maybe 40K a year playing MLS.

some future.

Here's a project for someone...How many National-team calibre players have played NCAA soccer? How many have had a stint in the CPSL?

My guess is that it might just be the latter.

On the organization issue - my only experience is with the CPSL, but I don't think the PDL could be worse.

The problem with the CPSL is that it's an old boys club - the owners are almost all soccer lifers that have known each other for ages. There is too much of a temptation for handshake deals and doing things on the fly.

The PDL has to deal with ~60 teams around the country, so they can lay down some hard laws because otherwise there would be chaos.

With a small number of teams in close proximity, the CPSL can wait until April to set a schedule. None of them have TV deals or a season ticket base, so there is no need to set it any earlier.

The PDL has a lot more logistics to worry about, so it's no surprise they get things done earlier.

Elvis Thomas was once called up to a National team game from the CPSL...Tom & Gus Kouzmanis both played CPSL, but that may have been after their National team days were behind them.

Eddy Berdusco also played in the CPSL in the late 90's...

I have my doubts about NCAA soccer being a viable path to professional soccer. It is definitely a nice way to get a free education, but is a 22 year old coming out of 4 years of college soccer really a legitimate pro prospect?

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Here's a project for someone...How many National-team calibre players have played NCAA soccer? How many have had a stint in the CPSL?

My guess is that it might just be the latter.

On the organization issue - my only experience is with the CPSL, but I don't think the PDL could be worse.

The problem with the CPSL is that it's an old boys club - the owners are almost all soccer lifers that have known each other for ages. There is too much of a temptation for handshake deals and doing things on the fly.

The PDL has to deal with ~60 teams around the country, so they can lay down some hard laws because otherwise there would be chaos.

With a small number of teams in close proximity, the CPSL can wait until April to set a schedule. None of them have TV deals or a season ticket base, so there is no need to set it any earlier.

The PDL has a lot more logistics to worry about, so it's no surprise they get things done earlier.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

I wonder by how much would a PDL team lose to the Glasgow Rangers by?

probably more than 4-1.

Actually the way Rangers are playing this year they would jump out to a 4-0 half time lead but score two own goals, give up a penalty and a last minute equalizer ;)

Guest Jeffery S.

Elvis Thomas was once called up to a National team game from the CPSL...Tom & Gus Kouzmanis both played CPSL, but that may have been after their National team days were behind them.

Eddy Berdusco also played in the CPSL in the late 90's...

I have my doubts about NCAA soccer being a viable path to professional soccer. It is definitely a nice way to get a free education, but is a 22 year old coming out of 4 years of college soccer really a legitimate pro prospect?

Ask Olivier Occean or Rob Friend, both of whom have done so.

Guest Jeffery S.

Good examples, thanks.

I think they are rare cases. Perhaps players who rely on physical strength and have needed those few extra years to develop it.

How many top US players played four years NCAA, I really don't know?

Archived