CIS Men's Soccer Nationals

aussoccerfan

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Hey Loyola, is the soccer squad subsidized by the same businessman who runs the Rouge et Or football program.

You're speaking of Jacques Tanguay also owner of the Quebec Rempart(Junior Hockey). He only sponsored the football team but other Laval sports team will benifit from the football money if they work at the home football game.....

According to the CIS Championship site, Trinity Western and U. of T. have advanced to the semi-finals and Laval and formerly undefeated Saint Marys will have to wait until next year.

TWU are reported to have dominated and were good value for their 1 - 0 defeat of Laval.

Toronto played well defensively limiting SMU to 3 shots on goal and similarly advanced with a 1 - 0 win.

Saturday

Semifinals:

Toronto 3 Trinity Western 3 - AET 3-3 - PK 5-4

UBC 1 UPEI 0

Consolations:

St. Mary's 3 Laval 0

Montreal 0 Carleton 0 - AET 2-0

As the score suggests, Toronto vs. TWU was a wild one: 1-1 at halftime, Toronto took the lead early in the second half, TWU tied it at 75' and took the lead at 85', Toronto tied in at 90' on a goal by goalkeeper Luciano Lombardi, who later stopped a PK in the shootout. Go Toronto!

Sunday

5th place - St. Mary's vs. Montreal

3rd place - Trinity Western vs. UPEI

1st place - Toronto vs. UBC

Toronto have one men's championship (1988) and UBC have 9 (more than any other university by far, most recently 1994).

Guest Jeffery S.

Here is the T-Bird report, sounds like a fine, well-thought game. Should I be surprised by the level in PEI, are we missing something in our scouting by not having a decent structure in the Maritimes?

http://www.gothunderbirds.ca/sports_team_story.asp?id=17&storyid=972

Once again, Serge Dj. with the big performance in goal. I think he should definitely be above Wagenaar when it comes to the national team pecking order. In fact, as stands I would put him above Begovic too, right there in the 6th spot (Lars, Sutton, Fernandes, Franks, Kenny, Serge...)

Guest Jeffery S.

From article on gothunderbirds.ca:

UBC claims men’s soccer gold

Sunday, November 13, 2005

CHARLOTTETOWN – Niko Marcina (Surrey) stepped up to the penalty spot in the 84th minute and buried a strike that would lift the UBC Thunderbirds to their first CIS men’s soccer title since 1994 with a 2-1 victory over the University of Toronto Varsity Blues on Sunday at UPEI.

The T-Birds’ fourth-year midfielder was called on for the crucial kick after Toronto’s Kim Saka was called for a hand ball in the box. The Blues’ rookie defender looked to be a hero earlier in the second half, steering home an indirect free kick from in tight to tie the match at 1-1 in minute 57. Michael Elliot’s (Vancouver) sublime header off a Ben DeCosse (North Vancouver) corner to the far post had opened the scoring in the 35th.

“These guys were so resilient,” an elated Mike Mosher said of his side. “They were just so focused the entire week. It was just that feeling that this was going to happen; that quiet confidence right through the week. [Toronto] got the one chance off the free kick and made good on it but other than that I didn’t think they had any real opportunities. We played three strong games against good teams and I give full credit to Toronto today. They were missing some key guys and I thought they played some really good soccer through this tournament.”

The T-Birds had the run of play early, winning corners and coming close when Jon Poli (North Vancouver) hit the crossbar 20 minutes in. Elliot finally broke through the Blues’ defence but then UBC struggled to find the insurance marker despite several opportunities. Substitute forward Darren Prentice (Surrey) didn’t get enough on his shot after Marcina sent him in on a partial break 20 minutes into the second half, and Luke Sandilands (Vancouver) turned and rolled one wide from inside the 18-yard box minutes later.

UBC’s ball control and pressure eventually paid off, however, and Marcina made no mistake. “I was nervous as hell, to be honest,” said the T-Birds’ savvy set-up man, “but I was just thinking about finishing it off and holding up that gold medal. We just tried not to let up when they tied it. We tried not to panic and just kept going at them, and it paid off.”

Four Thunderbirds were named to the CIS Tournament XI team, including Marcina. Defender Christoph Barrow (Halifax), midfielder Jon Poli (North Vancouver) and goalkeeper Serge Djekanovic (Vancouver) – Saturday’s semi-final hero – were also honoured. Poli took home tournament MVP honours in his senior year.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Here is the T-Bird report, sounds like a fine, well-thought game. Should I be surprised by the level in PEI, are we missing something in our scouting by not having a decent structure in the Maritimes?

http://www.gothunderbirds.ca/sports_team_story.asp?id=17&storyid=972

Once again, Serge Dj. with the big performance in goal. I think he should definitely be above Wagenaar when it comes to the national team pecking order. In fact, as stands I would put him above Begovic too, right there in the 6th spot (Lars, Sutton, Fernandes, Franks, Kenny, Serge...)

What about Andrew Olivieri? or Gerry Argento, First team All-Canadians and only 19 years old? Both training and playing with the Impact during the summer.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

What about Andrew Olivieri? or Gerry Argento, First team All-Canadians and only 19 years old? Both training and playing with the Impact during the summer.

Srdjan has played u-20 for Canada, he has played pro in Serbia, on a top division team, he has played further in a lower tier team, he was the Whitecaps third keeper but was slated for 2nd until an injury knocked him off the pecking order (and he will be back with them next year too), and he has been at UBC for 2 and half months and is already national champion with them, Canadian all-star to boot. A goal against in three games. His play is way over university level, but the guy has decided to go for an education for now, all power to him.

I am sure we will see him playing games for the Caps this upcoming season.

I know it is hard to establish a true order of merit and level, but he is definitely above a Wagenaar or a Karim, and this is why I put him in there at no. 6.

Yes but Olivieri plays for the Impact and was named in 2004 best U-23 GK in Concacaf during the Olympic qualifying tournament and has been invited to all MNT B camp, you gotta give him some respect.

The UBC keeper must be very good, but I'm not impress by the fact that he won the Nationals at his first year when the guy is 22....in the NCAA you're a senior at 22. So let's say that UBC is kinda of lucky to have such an experience keeper as a freshman (he'll be 26 when he'll reach his fifth year).

BTW, I'm not sure he's eligible to play if he signed a pro contract, according to CIAU rules. I'll check that.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

Yes but Olivieri plays for the Impact and was named in 2004 best U-23 GK in Concacaf during the Olympic qualifying tournament and has been invited to all MNT B camp, you gotta give him some respect.

The UBC keeper must be very good, but I'm not impress by the fact that he won the Nationals at his first year when the guy is 22....in the NCAA you're a senior at 22. So let's say that UBC is kinda of lucky to have such an experience keeper as a freshman (he'll be 26 when he'll reach his fifth year).

BTW, I'm not sure he's eligible to play if he signed a pro contract, according to CIAU rules. I'll check that.

Yeah, you are the eligibility genius now. You don't think everyone knows he was in Serbia and at Whitecaps, including his rivals, and that UBC did not check out his eligibility before signing him? Now you are just being a jerk off. Quick, call U of T, for sure they can still win the national championship in the back offices.

Geez, we better check out what Impact paid those college kids, for sure they are not NCAA eligible. Get real buddy, playing pro level and having a pro contract signed or getting paid as a pro is rather different, as all the college kids doing time in A-League clubs would testify.

Why don't you check out what Wagenaar got paid to go to the Canada camp in Spain, for sure that made him NCAA ineligible, quick, tell the guys who put him on the all-division team!

Archived