Friend scores in Norway Cup victory

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Sundgot ties it in the last minute of reg time, on a hard hit free kick. 2-2 as they are into stoppage time. Friend is still on, not subbed out fortunately for a defender. He should have another go at it in the extra periods.

Guest Jeffery S.

Berg Hestad puts Molde up for the third time today, m. 94, 2-3. Let's see if Molde can hang on this time. They are in the pause before the 2nd extra period of 15 minutes.

Guest Jeffery S.

Molde put it away as Friend passes to Husøy who scores for the 2-4 in m. 108. Molde win the Norway Cup, qualifying for Europe for next season (fall 2006), though now they have two matches to stay in top flight on their plate.

Still, the first trophy for a Canadian abroad since Klukowski picked up League and Cup with Bruges after transferring there late last season.

Pics and links on the front page of www.vg.no

Molde win Norway soccer cup, face relegation fight

OSLO, Nov 6 (Reuters) - Molde won the Norwegian cup final on Sunday with a 4-2 victory over Lillestrom, boosting the west Norway side before a playoff next week to avoid relegation from the top division.

Players from Canada, Senegal, Tunisia and Norway scored in the final, a sign of the increased international presense in Norwegian soccer. Until recently, Norwegian soccer teams were almost exclusively home grown.

Lillestrom fell behind twice but forced the game to extra time when Arild Sundgot equalised from a penalty awarded for hand ball in the 90th minute.

ADVERTISEMENT

Molde, in control for most of the match in the national stadium in Oslo, scored twice in extra time, lifting the cup for the second time in the club's history after a win in 1994.

Molde finished 12th in Norway's 14-strong top division last week and have to win a playoff against second division Moss to retain their place next season in the league.

Molde's Canadian striker Rob Friend put the team ahead with a goal in the 25th minute before Khalid Mouelhi of Tunisia equalised for Lillestrom in the 46th minute. Senegal's Madiou Konate put them back in front in the 65th minute before the penalty.

Molde's Daniel Berg Hestad knocked in a rebound in the fourth minute of extra time and John Andreas Husoey scored to make it 4-2 in the 108th minute.

Molde's main financial backer is Norwegian industrialist Kjell Inge Roekke, who once owned former English Premier League team Wimbledon.

Refuse to sell hero

Saturday night at the supporters party at Rockefeller, Molde hero Rob Friend (25) decided to stay with the club.

By Erlend Nesje, 07.11.2005 kl. 07:52

Friend gave Molde the lead after 25 minuters, in the cup final against Lillestrøm. Throughout the rest of the match, the brutally strong Canadian was constantly a problem for the LSK defence.

Eufa Cup next year

Molde has struggled at the bottom of the table the entire season; but Friend has still delivered the goods and shown himself to be one of Eliteseriens best strikers. Because of this he's also made a name for himself with other clubs. According to Aftenposten's information, Friend has been named as a possible replacement for Steffen Iversen of Vålerenga.

- I've heard rumours, but noone's contacted me. Regardless, I can't just leave Molde after what I've experienced this weekend. What I experienced on the stage at Rockefeller late Saturday night was indescribeable. The fan reception was unbelievable and I decided to stay. Next year I want to play in the Uefa Cup for Molde and no one else, said a satisfied Friend to Aftenposten after the 4-2 victory over Lillestrøm in the cup final.

Late Saturday evening, the Molde players were recognized one after another on the Rokefeller stage. But Friend didn't want to leave the stage. When the rest of the players had left, he stayed behind and took pictures of the 2000 supporters.

Last day on the job

Molde director Espen Silseth confirmed that agents have contacted him about the striker.

- Scandinavian clubs - without saying the names - are interested. But I have just one answer: Rob Friend is NOT for sale. We've given him a new contract offer instead, that's better than the one he has now. We want to extend his contract to the end of the 2008 season, said Silseth after yesterday's victory - which is also his last day as Molde-director...

Archived