Why the USA will probably get WC 2014 ....

beachesl

With England due to get 2018, apart from Australia's possible bid, the only non-European countries capbable of hosting on short notice would be Mexico (already having hosted two, is unlikely to host a third so soon), Australia too soon for them), the US (no infrastructure problem there), Japan and Korea (too soon for a return to either of those,or Asia in general).

Brazils' ecomnomy, along with the rest of South America is quickly going south.

--------------------------------------------------

Fans must pay the price of watching Brazil

By Brian Homewood

BRASILIA, Sept 8 (Reuters) - The idea of placing the toilets next to the kitchen to suppress the smell was often used by the Portuguese when they built their mansions during the colonial era in Brazil.

A similar tactic appeared to be in operation at the Mane Garrincha stadium before Brazil's World Cup qualifier at home to Chile last Sunday as food vendors cooked and sold their products in front of the entrances to the conveniences.

Watching Brazil play at home involves paying sky-high ticket prices, then enduring dismal organisation and conditions -- unless you happen to be one of the hundreds of politicians or friends of sponsors invited for free.

The government of the federal district of Brasilia claimed to have spent 600,000 Real ($258,000) on upgrading the Mane Garrincha stadium for the match, which Brazil won 5-0 to book their place at the 2006 World Cup.

Yet most of the 41,000-capacity arena was in a deplorable state, apart from the blue seats in the main stand which were occupied by the guests of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF).

Fans, who paid between 70 ($30) and 300 Real ($129) for tickets in a country where the minimum wage is 300 Real a month, were subjected to hours of queueing in the sun to get in.

One man said he would sue the CBF after waiting for three hours.

"It's the consumer's right, once he's paid, to get in and watch the match without hassle," he told the sports daily Lance.

RED DUST

Another supporter said he was repeatedly misdirected by stewards -- even though he was on crutches.

Others said that once inside, they found the sections for which they had bought tickets were already full and witnesses reported seeing stewards allow ticketless fans to jump the queue and get in.

Fans were confronted with stinking toilets while the red dust which is common in Brasilia during the dry season covered the concrete blocks where most paying spectators sat.

Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay play their home games in front of intimidating crowds but the atmosphere when Brazil play bears more resemblance to a tennis match because the high costs exclude hardcore fans.

While poor Brazilians are reduced to watching the training session on the eve of the match, the rich get into the match itself for free.

Brazilian media reported that hundreds of politicians were given complimentary tickets by the CBF while sponsors watched from specially built VIP stands behind the goals and were served free food and drink.

Brazil is hot favourite to host the 2014 World Cup after FIFA allocated the tournament to South America and the continent's 10 national federations then voted to back the country as their only candidate.

Yet, with nine years to go, most Brazilian stadiums are in a similarly shambolic condition to the Mane Garrincha and no firm plans have been revealed for any improvements.

Pele said last year that only Curitiba's Arena da Baixada was up to FIFA standards.

SUPPORTERS' STATUTE

Two years ago, there were hopes of an improvement when the government passed the so-called supporters' statute.

This obliged clubs to publish attendances, put tickets on sale at least 72 hours before kick-off and provide safe and well-organised stadiums with clean toilets.

Although conditions have improved for many domestic matches, chaos breaks out for big international games.

Sao Paulo supporters said they had to queue for up to nine hours to buy tickets for the second leg of the Libertadores final against Atletico Paranaense in July.

Even after that, many were unable to get into the Morumbi stadium on match day because of chaos at the turnstiles.

The CBF would not comment on Sunday's problems, apart from issuing a statement denying reports that its president Ricardo Teixeira was himself a victim of the chaos outside the stadium.

"It's not true...that Ricardo Teixeira was refused entry and had to park his car further away than he expected," it said.

"The only difficulty the president encountered was caused by the admiration he received from many people, who wanted to congratulate him on the success of the Brazilian team."

I think China would have to be considered the front runner. Maybe even India. Too many people to just ignore them. It would be 12 years since 2002 Japan/Korea. Followed by the US and Brazil (Argentina?).

If I'm not mistaken, the 2014 host will be selected in 2007. Hmmmm...2007, why does that sound so familiar. 2007...2007...

Supposedly Canada's chances of hosting the Women's World Cup went from zero to "reasonably optimistic" for a "whole bunch of good reasons", mainly the girls tournament in Edmonton. Hmmm...2007...2007...

quote:Originally posted by Elias

I think China would have to be considered the front runner. Maybe even India. Too many people to just ignore them. It would be 12 years since 2002 Japan/Korea. Followed by the US and Brazil (Argentina?).

I don't know. this is the first time I saw anyone mention India. Did you read this rumour anywhere? I find it difficult to believe that India would get a sniff of a chance at hosting the WC. Their economy is probably worse than Brasil's, the locals have no interest in soccer, and travelling footy supporters would be less willing to go there compared to Brasil. Plus its too soon for Asia to host another WC.

I just added India if China doesn't want it. I don't really think India has a shot. But they did beat Hamilton for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Granted, it's just a little different, but they went there cause of the huge population. So a world cup would surely boost interest in soccer.

I would have to think if the Chinese want it, it's theres. I don't think it's too soon. Europe gets it every 8 years basically. Like I said, too many people in that area to be ignored. The major corporations are dieing to get into China, and this would be amazing for them. As well as good for soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

I just added India if China doesn't want it. I don't really think India has a shot. But they did beat Hamilton for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Granted, it's just a little different, but they went there cause of the huge population. So a world cup would surely boost interest in soccer.

I don't think it was just the huge population. They are the biggest country in the Commonwealth and the games had never been hosted by any of the countries that are part of that group and located in the Indian sub-continent (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc.).

What is the FIFA continental rotation? Does Europe get every third one? I mean, Germany 2006, Africa in 2010, now England in 2018? Why not go to the South America in 2014, then Oceana (Australia) in 2018 then Central/North America in 2022 then go to Asia in 2026 and then go back to Europe in 2030....that seems fairer!

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

What is the FIFA continental rotation? Does Europe get every third one? I mean, Germany 2006, Africa in 2010, now England in 2018? Why not go to the South America in 2014, then Oceana (Australia) in 2018 then Central/North America in 2022 then go to Asia in 2026 and then go back to Europe in 2030....that seems fairer!

I don't think that's fairer. There's no way you could have it in Europe just as often as every other continent. Europe has to get every third or at most fourth tournament (up till now they've been getting every second). I don't think FIFA have specified the details of the rotation system (they probably don't know themselves), but presumably that is the general idea. So far the plan for 2006-2018 makes sense to me. Then North America and Asia (now including Australia - if they don't want to be in Oceania then they can't have their cake and eat it too! though I bet they will [xx(]) would get 2022 and 2026 before it's back in Europe for 2030. Of course, since there will be problems finding suitable countries in places like Africa and South America, this plan won't be followed exactly; for example, if no South American country is ready for 2014 then they could swap with North America or Asia.

I think the World Cup has gotten way too big for it's own good. I don't mean the number of countries involved, I mean the requirements that everything be "world class". There aren't many countries that can provide the resources that are now considered "necessary". Of course it's all because they want to make as much money as possible. [xx(]

Something to serve to highlight problems in Brazil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

FA lines up bid for 2014 World Cup

Friday September 16, 2005

The Guardian

The FA is in talks with the Treasury in an attempt to secure government backing for a bid to host the World Cup in England for the first time since Bobby Moore lifted the Jules Rimet trophy in 1966.

Brian Barwick, the FA's chief executive, is seeking assurances from Gordon Brown that the chancellor would throw his full weight behind the plan if, as expected, the chancellor succeeds Tony Blair as prime minister.

The Treasury confirmed that discussions were taking place with the FA and that the chancellor was broadly supportive of the FA's proposal. Mr Barwick believes 2018 is the likeliest date to win the right to host the event, but is contemplating a "dry run" in 2014, when it is likely to be held in South America.

The FA is keen to exploit the feelgood factor generated by London's successful bid for the 2012 Olympics and has stressed that Mr Blair's backing was crucial when the votes were counted in Singapore.

Mr Barwick has told the chancellor that the cost of hosting the World Cup would be small, since the country already boasts a range of modern grounds.

Archived