Formula 1

canadiankick97

Anyone else follow it?

Yesterday, all the teams that use Michelin tires (a total of 14 drivers) pulled out of the US Grand Prix because they were unsafe for the final corner of the track. Ferrari, racing against only 2 other teams came 1st and 2nd without much trouble. This was pretty bad for Formula 1 especially since interest for Forumla 1 in the US isn't exactly the highest. Fans left throwing water and beer bottles onto the track.

So Schumacher picks up 10 points.

Yeah. Caught that. Incredible. Absolutely incredible. Every single person who flew out for the race, bought tickets, and payed for hotels should be compensated. F1 can take the money out of the seasons TV cash from the teams who withdrew. Then the teams can work it out between themselves and Michelin as to who pays what.

The execs over at Bridgestone who really haven't had much to grin about the last couple of years must be pissing themselves.

What a debacle. Shamefull.

Nonsense. It would have been shamefull had the FIA intervened.

In making the choices they did, and by withstanding the pressure of those who wish to be compensated for their own mistakes, as well as that of the largest market in the world, the FIA (along with F1) retained the dignity of the series and the legitimacy of the World Driver's Championship.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Nonsense. It would have been shamefull had the FIA intervened.

In making the choices they did, and by withstanding the pressure of those who wish to be compensated for their own mistakes, as well as that of the largest market in the world, the FIA (along with F1) retained the dignity of the series and the legitimacy of the World Driver's Championship.

JayWay, I think there had to be a middle position on this.

But first of all, I agree with your suggestion that Michelin and the teams that use them should not have been given any breaks. They had their tires from previous years to look at and analyze, they could have run 60 laps one weekend in the pre-season at the track to do a check (which they never did), someone on one of the teams could have been concerned about anticipating the problem. It is like going to a desert marathon, seeing everyone else with suntan lotion and hats, and saying the race should not be run because you forgot yours.

But where maybe Ferrarri and FIA blew it was not making a gesture to the fans. It seems there was an offer from the Michelin cars to give all the points to the first 6 Bridgestone cars, with them fighting for 7th and 8th place points only, on the condition that a chicane be put in to eliminate the length of the banked curve. It was this curve that it seems really destroyed the poorly prepared Michelin tire, especially the back left one. Minardi and Jordan seemed to agree, Ferrari said no. While it cannot be said Ferrari was to blame for the initial problem, they did not help the F1's image in the US, since even a "friendly" race where they would not have been in risk would have been acceptable for many fans.

Of course, where Ferrari may have had their backs up is precisely over the tire question. As they are the only really strong team with Bridgestone, they have been at a disadvantage in many races this year, and the brand has been seriously criticized for their tires this season. The rest have just laughed, as well as complaining about Ferrari doing extra training sessions that some teams feel are unfair. Now it is the other way around, Bridgestone did their job, the Michelin teams are whining and making up lame excuses, and Ferrari perhaps feel they have gotten a sweet revenge.

But at what cost for the image of F1 in a market that is so tough for it to break into?

Jeffrey, sorry for the long post, but I’d like to address each of your points individually.

quote:JayWay, I think there had to be a middle position on this.

You're right. Maybe there's a better way to put it...

Business (and PR) wise, what happened this weekend was a complete and utter failure. Sporting wise, it was a success.

quote:But first of all, I agree with your suggestion that Michelin and the teams that use them should not have been given any breaks. They had their tires from previous years to look at and analyze, they could have run 60 laps one weekend in the pre-season at the track to do a check (which they never did), someone on one of the teams could have been concerned about anticipating the problem. It is like going to a desert marathon, seeing everyone else with suntan lotion and hats, and saying the race should not be run because you forgot yours.

Yes, absolutely. Which is why I say that F1 and the FIA retained the dignity of the sport and the championship this weekend. To have struck a compromise with the Michelin runners would be to excuse them for their own mistakes and throw a shroud over the eventual result of the championship.

What we saw this weekend was nothing more than the natural and effective enforcement of the rules set down by the FIA - rules, that in accordance with the Concorde agreement, all teams agreed to.

That is the truth of the situation, no matter how many newspapers or angry fans want to throw around the term "farce" or "disgrace".

People have tried to claim that the result of Sunday's race was a disgrace, pointing out that if Schumacher were to eventually win the title, and do so by a point-margin equal to the points gained at Indianapolis, that it would mean his title was illegitimate.

I can't argue this. I'm fairly sure not even Michael Schumacher would claim that he was full credit for the win. But what I am very sure of is that no matter how besmirched this win may be, and no matter how much it may de-legtimize the Championship should Schumacher win it, it would not even come close to matching the farce that would be either Alonso or Raikonnen taking the title on the back of points gained at Indianapolis.

The fact is this. Michael Schumacher, as well as Ferrari, did nothing wrong. They did exactly what they were supposed to. They came to race, they followed the rules, and even when it came down to the last minute discussions revolving around how to tackle the tyre crisis, they kept out of it (Jean Todt did not even attend the emergency meeting). None of what occured this weekend is their fault. Hence, they can't be faulted for following the rules and taking the points that came to them.

The same could not have been said for any of the Michelin runners, who would have been excused of their own mistakes and would have benefited from rulings that would be unfair towards the likes of Ferrari.

I don't understand why anyone would expect the FIA to strike a compromise. Peter Windsor was correct in pointing out that this is the same organization that, in the past, has disqualified race winners for having barge boards a quarter of an inch above the maximum specified size. Michelin knew what they were dealing with, it’s their fault for failing to provide an effective tyre.

Hence, in my opinion, while this race may have been a joke, it was not a farce. It was 100% legitimate. For the FIA to have betrayed its own rules, and then to have unfairly aided the Michelin runners by allowing Barcelona spec tyres, or putting in a chicane, that would have been a farce.

quote:

But where maybe Ferrarri and FIA blew it was not making a gesture to the fans. It seems there was an offer from the Michelin cars to give all the points to the first 6 Bridgestone cars, with them fighting for 7th and 8th place points only, on the condition that a chicane be put in to eliminate the length of the banked curve. It was this curve that it seems really destroyed the poorly prepared Michelin tire, especially the back left one. Minardi and Jordan seemed to agree, Ferrari said no. While it cannot be said Ferrari was to blame for the initial problem, they did not help the F1's image in the US, since even a "friendly" race where they would not have been in risk would have been acceptable for many fans.

It's a difficult question. I think what we have here is something we see everyday, in many facets of society. It's the age old question of comodification vs. the integrity of a "product". We see it in art, we see it in music, we see it in the branding of public space.

In sport it is no different. Where do you draw the line between sport as pure competition and sport as a marketable product? We see it in Hockey where people are constantly debating about what rule changes should be instituted in order to make the game more attractive. On one hand, limiting the game to four on four would go against the traditional rules of the game. On the other hand, the NHL has an obligation to its paying fans - or more appropriately, its paying customers.

What we saw this weekend at Indy was no different.

I feel sorry for the fans, I really do. I can't blame anyone who was at that race for feeling outraged or for never watching F1 again. Unfortunately, this issue of commodity vs. sport really has no clear answer in my mind. You either value the idea of giving customers what they pay for, or you value the idea of the sport and its integrity. Both sides are legitimate, but unforunately, as we saw this weekend, a lot of the time only one side can win out.

I think people have to understand something. Unlike most sports (at least in the modern era), and especially unlike other racing series such as the Champ Car World Series or NASCAR, Formula 1 is most definitely NOT for the fans.

F1's roots are found in rich, elitist males looking for a way to race their flashy cars. Unlike many sporting associations, Grand Prix racing was never constructed as a marketing project. It never had the fans in mind.

Certainly, as society has changed, so has F1, and it has had to change with the times and adopt a more "product-oriented" mentality. But as we've seen this weekend, F1 is still influenced and shaped by its elitist roots. I believe those roots showed itself this weekend.

F1 has been accused of being elitist and over-exclusive. This is 100% correct. If F1 was truly about the fans, it would do what CART did and open up the paddock to the fans. It would make the drivers more accessible. It would provide more entertainment at its races. But it's not like that at all. Anyone who has been to a Grand Prix as well as a Champ Car race knows that the experience over the entire weekend is vastly different. The Champ Car race gives off the feeling of fan-friendliness. But where the Champ Cars have an open gate to welcome fans to watch the mechanics at work and to meet the drivers, F1 has three layers of security and a river (at least in Montreal) separating the fans from the paddock.

The thing is, in my opinion, this is part of F1's lure. It's just that aura of exclusiveness, mystery, sophistication and elitism that draws fans in. It's that image of F1 being the best cars, the best drivers, and all of which that are just out of your reach that brings people back.

Ask yourself this.. From 1998 to 2003 F1 has been dreadful. The races have been processional and passing has been scarce. Yet still nearly every race has been sold out. Whereas the fantastic Champ Car series has had to toil and beg to sell tickets in North America, and has had to make their races an "event" with bikini contests, open paddocks, volleyball, motocross displays, everything, F1 can offer a bare-bones experience, a closed paddock, the chance of a dull race, and vastly more expensive tickets. Yet F1 never fails to sell out. Why? Because it's that idea of the best of the best, the pinnacle, and the elitism that comes with that that F1 has managed to carry for so long.. The best drivers in the world racing the best cars. The almost anti-fan nature of F1, I believe, tends to reinforce this. Even if the race is dull, I think the idea is still enough to keep fans coming.

So while a series like NASCAR has always been about welcoming fans, a series like F1 has always taken the stance "you can watch, but you must stand over there." This is the mentality of F1’s founders, and I think it has carried over to its present day regime.

The problem is, in the States, where people are used to this fan-friendly consumer-centred attitude, this elitist attitude just doesn't fly. Here's one article that I think sums up this clash of attitudes:

http://msn.foxsports.com/motor/story/3704212

Did F1 go too far this weekend? A lot of people would say that, especially those who paid good money, and they’re most definitely justified. But F1 has always carried this attitude, even if it hasn’t been displayed in such an obvious manner as it was at Indy. It’s an attitude that you can take or leave. I can’t blame anyone for being turned off by it, and if that’s the stance the States take, the more power to them. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

We've seen a lot of flak aimed at Formula for what went on. But would it have been any different if, say, the FIA allowed a chicane? Followers of Formula 1 would have been just as outraged as many outsiders are now. The decision would have gone against the rules of the FIA and it would have compromised the legitimacy of the championship.

Hence, again, you can appease one set of fans, but you are bound to piss off a completely different set in the process.

Regarding Ferrari:

First of all, there is no confirmation that Ferrari directly vetoed the chicane. As mentioned before, Ferrari did not even show up at the final meeting to discuss the issue, and Williams, as well as Paul Stoddart have gone on record as saying Ferrari are not to blame.

However, even if they did I cannot blame them. This is a team that invests millions every year on producing the quickest car possible for the sole purpose of winning the title (of course, that title brings with it other perks - increased exposure, increased advertising, prize money, etc.). Remember, in Formula 1, teams will spends millions on researching different coats of decal paint in order to find the coat that brings with it the smallest weight. These teams leave no stone unturned. Hence, given all that is invested, why should Ferrari excuse the mistakes of others? I think Ferrari knows damn well that had the tables been turned, the Michelin runners would have had no mercy on Ferrari. They don't call it the Pirannah Club for nothing. But hey, that's reality.

Someone might claim that without the fans, Ferrari has no championship to race in. They might be right. But in response to that, I’d just direct them to what I said about the elitist roots of F1, and how that has paid off. Maybe it’s a situation like this that will finally force F1 to reevaluate its attitude.

The proposal made by the Michelin runners was not doable in my opinion. I could think of a number reasons not to do it, whether they'd be (or were!) enough to strike the proposal down, I don't know, but here is what I was thinking... The premis of running two races at once just presents too many obstacles, both practical and principled. Again, why should Ferrari, who followed all the rules, have to deal with the challenge and/or traffic of cars who have no place in the championship at that specific round? What happens if Ferrari stretches a comfortable lead, but then loses it on a count of a Michelin runner crashing out causing a full course yellow? What if that Michelin runner, in the process of crashing, takes out one of the Ferraris? As a friend of mine pointed out to me, the outrage you'd hear from the tifosi and from Ferrari would be insane. You also present the risk of Michelin runners racing for the direct purpose of holding Ferrari up.

Again, in my opinion, such a race would be more of a farce that the one we saw run on Sunday.

Another issue is the tyres. There was no confirmation that I’ve seen that the Barcelona spec tyres shipped to Indianapolis by Michelin were in any way safer than the tyres originally brought to the race, the ones that were deemed defective.

As for the track, I don't see how it played a role. The issue, according to all reports I've read, was the vertical force being put on the tyres in the banked, high speed turn 13. It had nothing to do with tyre-wear, which is where the element of track surface would come into it.

I see two possibilities. One, Michelin, desperate to end the dominant run of Ferrari were to ambitious in developing a soft tyre that could vault their teams to the front of the grid. In doing so, they neglected safety and lost sight of the consequences.

Another possibility that I heard yesterday is that Bridgestone, being owned by Firestone, had the benefit of prior data compiled by Firestone after their experience on the new surface at Indy (in which case, yes, the surface would have played a role). In fact, I do believe Firestone experienced the same problems Michelin did when they first tested on the new surface at Indy.

Re: Minardi and Jordan.

Just like Ferrari, both teams had something to gain. If Minardi were so principled, they would have boycotted the race regardless of the fact that Jordan, at the last moment, particpated (the two teams had come to an agreement that they would boycott - Jordan broke the agreement at the last second prompting Minardi to place their cars in the race).

Both teams are back-runners. Both teams have A LOT to gain from even a solitary point. The travel money paid out by the FIA to, I believe, all but the last place team is huge, especially for a low-budget team such as Jordan and Minardi.

At first I didn’t understand this, why Stoddart would be so upset, but then someone explained it (it was kind of obvious, heh.).Both teams knew that in a race with only six runners, one of them would have a much, much greater chance of scoring those all so valuable points. In any normal circumstance (with a full grid) the chances of scoring a point would only come with low attrition amongst the other runners and an insane amount of luck on the part of the minnow teams. Neither team wanted to risk the chance of seeing the other score a podium and thus increase the point gap between the two to an otherwise unattainable amount.

This much was proven when Paul Stoddart was interviewed and said as much - that the race between Minardi and Jordan is over.

I will find the interview and post it for you. Despite his concern for the fans and the "show", I think the interview shows a man who, above all, is concerned about points and his own team's well being.

(Edit: Here's the interview: http://web.bsu.edu/mrpeters/Stoddart_Interview.mp3. Besides being interesting, it’s bloody hilarious!)

And hey, just look at the Jordan team after Monteiro scored his podium. While being booed by 30,000 fans, and with everyone around them looking glum, they partied like it was just any normal race. They didn't care about what F1 suffered that day, they just cared about the points they scored.

quote:

But at what cost for the image of F1 in a market that is so tough for it to break into?

It very well could be the end of F1 in the States.

Guest Jeffery S.

Okay, really long, Jay, but since I have slowly got into this in the last years I mostly followed you. I was never a big motorsport fan, but being here got me into motorcycle GP and trial competitions, and then watching the World Rallye Cars, amazing experience.

So I have come to F1 late, a bit pulled along by all this Alonso-mania here in Spain (don't want to overly exagerrate this, I watched F1 as a kid but had no understanding, and maybe in the time of Mansell and Hill I began to get some idea of things).

I think we agree on the main points. I heard Alonso last night on "El Larguero", the no. 1 sport radio program in Spain, and he explained that the meeting was to add a chicane to save the race for the fans. But he fully admitted that they had screwed up, that Michelin especially had blown it, and they had to cede all points to Ferrari and the others. His comments were a bit soft, as he knows that lately he has been criticized for yapping too much, and press and fans in Spain are being a bit hard on him for apparently becoming a bit cocky and arrogant now that success is nearer.

I don't think that he was particularly concerned about losing points. Though the race for the championship is now a bit tighter. And he says that the tire are already set for Magny-Cours.

It also seems that Michelin had studied and prepared for Indianapolis, and that perhaps they simply erred in composing their tires, coming up with the wrong composition which could not withstand the pressure of the curve (see how Ralf's tire blew in the practice runs). Problem is that all the Michelin teams apparently opted to take Michelin on their word, no team had an alternative to use.

Seems that Bridgestone had similar problems earlier with erring on composition even after studying the track and conditions (that race where Michael blew four wheels, which was it?).

By the way, you are right on the Firestone-Bridgestone connection. All power to them if they got it right.

Just want to comment about your analysis of the elitism of F1. I talk to folks here who remember walking about amidst the paddocks, even greeting drivers, when the F1 was an urban circuit in Barcelona (I drive on the old route daily taking my son to school). That was the 60s. So it used to be quite accessible and not elitist, though there was a bit of that playboy quality in there, even back in the 50s. But that is something that has been associated with car racing since the auto was first founded, like with early aviation.

In any case, if you look at the fans from Alonso's home region of Asturias (you see those blue flags with a golden sword-cross, matches the Renault colours), they are not at all from this elitist profile, actually quite humble types. So I think that this should not be over-exagerrated, Ecclestone realizes he needs the F1 circus to open up, not be too distant, and he needs the rules to work to even out the competition and keep things exciting.

(Final comment: yesterday I had a meeting with two people from Lucky Strike Racing, from London, who have a session with young designers and the two BAR HONDA drivers -Button, Sato- in Barcelona July 20, with the idea of personalizing the cars. As I work in contemporary art, have a big loft space-gallery I share with artists, and used to write for a Lucky Strike sponsored web on cities and culture out of the UK, they came to visit me, looking for a place to hold their event. In the end they said mine was not chic enough (especially my grungy bathroom!), so all I really did was give them contacts for elegant art and design related galleries; but if they'd opted for my space I would have been host to two F1 drivers next month).

Well. Lets make it "3".

Hope I haven't been misunderstood here. Absolutely agree with F1's decision to proceed with the race, as is, as per usual. A big part about racing at this level without a dought (to my mind at least) involves capitalising on your opponents mistakes. Tuning, techincal, tactical, whatever.

In this instance Michelin underestimated the new track requirments. To fu'king bad. There's no need for a chicane, or seeding possitions and racing a friendly or any other hollow crap. Pull into the garage, hook up the lap top and before you can say "bob's your uncle" those Michelins are now safe and sound. Admitedly you're de-tuning the cars to do it but so what? Happens all the time in F1. Even mid-race to spare an engine or stretch fuel.

Maybe I'm seeing bogey men, but this whole display involves a bunch of Mitchelin runners being upset because they couldn't have their way once they found out they were running on inferior tires.

They held the US Grand Prix hostage and dared F1 to blink. Well, fu'k you then. If you don't want to play, then take your car and go home.

And if these teams aren't fined practically out of existance they should consider themselves lucky. That act on Sunday was a political decision, 100%. And using "driver safety" as a paper shield is vulgar.

I'll repeat myself. Everyone who purchased a ticket for that race and was then cheated out of their purchase, not by some Act of God (weather) or National Emergency (terrorists) but by the political agenda of certain teams is entitled to be compensated. And there should be plenty of fine money to cover it.

On one last note for this rant. Admitedly US money would be most welcome to any organization, but the long and short of it F1 has become the world's motorsport entirely without the US market. There is nothing that is ever going to come out of the US which will have the F1 circuit thinking "oh-oh". And when you consider the huge popularity of elitist F1 in the Far East with their bulging economies, the US market is, as it has been for quite some time, not much to worry about.

all I have to say is that, with the F1 struggling, this is the worst possible thing to happen. Just be happy (F1 fans) this didnt happen in europe, for example Monaco or Nuremburg. There would of been an riot of grand scale!!!

This compares to The stadium debacle in Toronto and soccer in Canada. oh well, whatever.

Guest Jeffery S.

Just want to say, re Montreal, that the press in Spain was very pleased with the city itself, the event, only drawbacks those silly last minute patches. The track at Montreal is quite unique, makes for an interesting race with different conditions than normal. So made us proud.

Jeffrey,

You're right, there was a time when F1 was more open. I really can't comment with any confidence on that time since I wasn't even alive. hehe. It's possible that it was just a matter of progression. Maybe it was just a matter of time before someone like Ecclestone stepped in and took it to the next step. Like you said, there was always that European/playboy image attached to Grand Prix racing. Maybe it was just a natural evolution and it was bound to become what it is today - an exclusive club.

On top of that, I don't think any openness in Grand Prix racing at the time was the product of deliberate decision making. It's not like CART or NASCAR who go out of their way to be fan friendly. Maybe that was just the sign of the times. It's like soccr. Back then, fans would place themselves in very dangerous situations - cramped terraces, poor security. Obviously, this wasn't a fan friendly attitude on the part of the organizers. People back then just didn't think about stuff like that. Now though of course you need an electronic card to get into some stadiums, and then your freedom is very restricted, you know? It's like, you hear fans these days talk about the "old days" when football was truly a sport of the average, working class joe. Well, it's not that teams were trying to market to the working class back then, it's just that's how it was back then. Same in F1. When you look at old footage, and the places some fans sat - a bit like the Rally circuit today - it's amazing people wern't killed. But that just wasn't on people's minds back then I guess...

The race in question is Barcelona I think. That's when Schumacher had the tyre failure.

P.S Maybe the fact that you're studio wasn't chic enough is a testement to what I was saying... F1 is all about elitism and sophisitication. Or at least that's the image they want to present. hehe.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Just want to say, re Montreal, that the press in Spain was very pleased with the city itself, the event, only drawbacks those silly last minute patches. The track at Montreal is quite unique, makes for an interesting race with different conditions than normal. So made us proud.

The Canadian Grand Prix has always been a favourite amongst the drivers. Jean Alesi (France) adored it. He called it his second home. Over time he developed a very close relationship with the fans, and at the races I attended at least, always made it a point to slow down and wave to every grandstand on his first out-lap of the weekend. He was as popular as Villeneuve. In '97 (I believe...) after he crashed out, Alesi even ran towards the stands and threw his helmet to the fans as a sign of his appreciation. The team however was not as amused, as along with the helmet, Alesi also threw all the pricey electronic communication devices that were stored in it! hehe.

quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

all I have to say is that, with the F1 struggling, this is the worst possible thing to happen. Just be happy (F1 fans) this didnt happen in europe, for example Monaco or Nuremburg. There would of been an riot of grand scale!!!

This compares to The stadium debacle in Toronto and soccer in Canada. oh well, whatever.

Nah. Monaco would be a dream. They're the least likely to put up a fuss. All rich types and movie stars. After the team order controversy in Austria involving Ferrari, a lot of people commented about how lucky it was for F1 that the next race took place in Monaco. This way they didn't have to deal with any rabid fans and the fuss could cool down by the time they returned to mainland Europe.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by JayWay

P.S Maybe the fact that you're studio wasn't chic enough is a testement to what I was saying... F1 is all about elitism and sophisitication. Or at least that's the image they want to present. hehe.

Get this, Lucky Strike Racing from London has confirmed they are doing a press conference in my studio at 10 am on the 20th of July. If you want to come you are welcome. They supply the orange juice, I have to get new dark drapes so they can ppt without the Mediterranean light flooding in through the loft windows.

The press presentation is to talk about having young designers from many different countries customize the cars, inspiring themselves in the drivers themselves. Part of Lucky Strike doing this rather curious combination of sponsoring racing and art at the same time.

Don't think I will have any of the drivers in my space, more a funky idea from a sponsor than anything to do with BAR's world.

I feel sorry for the fans in Europe and Asia who are happy to pay money to let F1 to treat them like they were a superfluous nuisance at GP meetings. My dignity is worth more than that so I will not pay to watch the Canadian Grand Prix, not even for Jaques... I used to watch F1 , around the time JV won the championship, but quickly moved to Motorcycle racing when I realised how vacuous F1 really was (Dont like nascar either). Seriously guys, if you want real racing and real human beings who dont insult your intelligence , watch MotoGP and World Superbikes, you won't regret it....

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

I feel sorry for the fans in Europe and Asia who are happy to pay money to let F1 to treat them like they were a superfluous nuisance at GP meetings. My dignity is worth more than that so I will not pay to watch the Canadian Grand Prix, not even for Jaques... I used to watch F1 , around the time JV won the championship, but quickly moved to Motorcycle racing when I realised how vacuous F1 really was (Dont like nascar either). Seriously guys, if you want real racing and real human beings who dont insult your intelligence , watch MotoGP and World Superbikes, you won't regret it....

First off, in Spain traditionally motorcycle racing has been way more popular than F1. The reason there are three world class tracks is for the bikes, not for F1. Even now a large % of those at the F1 race in Barcelona are foreigners, have a buddy in Victoria who told me a workmate went as part of his holidays. Not unusual.

But F1 is growing, and I think that for fans with a national driver at a competitive level, or a team they can associate with, it can be exciting enough. Some of the new anti-Ferrari/Schumi rules have even helped a bit to make this year a bit tighter. Leaving the fiasco of Indianopolis aside, the year has been quite interesting, there have been some exemplary driving displays, and no car seems to be behaving so perfectly surprises can't be expected.

Archived