Information about Gold Cup Roster

Ian Kennett

I spoke to Frank Yallop in Florida yesterday - for an article in the next issue of World Football Pages. I do NOT know who he will finally select for the GC games, but

1) He said that Rhian Dodds had a very good camp and impressed.

2) Mike Franks did well at the camp too.

3) Stephen Ademolou and Rocco Placentino were not released form their clubs for the camp, so he has not yet been able to work with them directly.

My question is this: IS the GC preliminary roster locked in stone or can teams add and subtract players before the final roster is submitted? I will try to find out.

Cheers!

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

I spoke to Frank Yallop in Florida yesterday - for an article in the next issue of World Football Pages. I do NOT know who he will finally select for the GC games, but

1) He said that Rhian Dodds had a very good camp and impressed.

2) Mike Franks did well at the camp too.

3) Stephen Ademolou and Rocco Placentino were not released form their clubs for the camp, so he has not yet been able to work with them directly.

My question is this: IS the GC preliminary roster locked in stone or can teams add and subtract players before the final roster is submitted? I will try to find out.

Cheers!

Good work Ian.

The new Regs (passed on June 6 and on-site just yesterday) are confusing on this issue, but it says that the provisional list is non-binding, so they sould be able to add new guys up to the final list deadline of June 21, even if they were not on the provisional list.

see:

http://www.concacaf.com/graphics/stats-regs/pdf/goldcup_e.pdf

at page 10

excerpts:

5. Provisional List of Players

Participating National Associations must provide their List of Players on the official form provided, to the office of the CONCACAF General Secretariat, at least 45 days prior to the first match. This list is not binding and must contain the names of at least 25 players. The list will be used for event

promotion and data management.

6. Team Delegations and Final Roster

Each participating Association shall submit to the CONCACAF General

Secretariat its Final Delegation list of up to 30 persons, which may include up to 23 players, not later than 15 days prior to the first match of the Final Phase. Only these 23 players will (except in the case of force majeure recognized by the organizing committee for the CONCACAF Gold Cup) be permitted to compete in the Final Phase.

7. A listed player may only be substituted in the event of serious injury up until 24 hours before his team#146;s first match, after CONCACAF has received a detailed medical assessment in English and only after acceptance by the CONCACAF Sports Medical Committee that the injury is sufficiently serious to prevent the player from taking part in the Competition. The National Association shall then immediately nominate the substitute and inform CONCACAF accordingly."

emphasis added

The late changes to the regs, very much different from the regs in place at the last 2 GC's, appear to have cuased a lot of confusion in a lot of quarters.

It also appears that the provisional lists might just be window dressing only, and that we could see complete changes to various team's rosters in 11 days time.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

This list is not binding and must contain the names of at least 25 players. The list will be used for event

promotion and data management.

I was going to ask, if it's non-binding then what's the point? Well, there's the answer. Window dressing indeed — which seems to be what the Gold Cup is all about (same host every year, invited guests, etc). [xx(]

So there's no use in spending too much time thinking about the preliminary list. From a soccer point of view, it means little.

Archived