June 6 Friendly - Whitecaps v Whitecaps Reserves R

The Caps defeated their reserve team 3-0 on Monday night. The reserves, who play in the PCSL, were not much of a challenge since they aren't a true reserve team (pro's like Said Ali who sit on the Caps bench all season are not allowed to play in the PCSL).

The Caps were missing Jordan, Lyall, Franks and Dasovic.

The Caps played well enough to win, which isn't saying much given the quality of the opposition. An all-star team from the PCSL, or even just an all-star team of Canadian players from PCSL teams, might have beat the Caps on Monday.

Three Caps stood out for very poor play.

Harmes made three bad passes, including a hard and high pass back to his keeper which was caused his keeper problems.

Morris who missed two easy scoring chances - he shot too high one time and wide the other.

Gjertsen who had a clear breakaway and was under no pressure and still lost the ball while dribbling. He couldn't convert the breakaway into a shot towards goal.

The Caps were in the midst of a 12 day stretch between games so they needed to play to keep sharp.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Funny you mention Gjertsen. Sports Page is going to have a piece on him and his positive start to the season.

Gjertson has had lots of playing time - that is the positive, but he only has one goal to show for it.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

The Caps defeated their reserve team 3-0 on Monday night. The reserves, who play in the PCSL, were not much of a challenge since they aren't a true reserve team (pro's like Said Ali who sit on the Caps bench all season are not allowed to play in the PCSL).

The Caps were missing Jordan, Lyall, Franks and Dasovic.

The Caps played well enough to win, which isn't saying much given the quality of the opposition. An all-star team from the PCSL, or even just an all-star team of Canadian players from PCSL teams, might have beat the Caps on Monday.

Three Caps stood out for very poor play.

Harmes made three bad passes, including a hard and high pass back to his keeper which was caused his keeper problems.

Morris who missed two easy scoring chances - he shot too high one time and wide the other.

Gjertsen who had a clear breakaway and was under no pressure and still lost the ball while dribbling. He couldn't convert the breakaway into a shot towards goal.

The Caps were in the midst of a 12 day stretch between games so they needed to play to keep sharp.

Hey Analyst! "Snake" thinks you're Alan Errington. I'm not sure who would be more insulted by that.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Who was in goal for the reserves, Kindel or Serge?

Kindel was in goal for the Reserves. Serge was there as a back-up for the senior team. Serge is not part of the reserve team rather he is playing for the UBC team which is in the same league as the Reserve team.

Guest Jeffery S.

Kindel was in goal for the Reserves. Serge was there as a back-up for the senior team. Serge is not part of the reserve team rather he is playing for the UBC team which is in the same league as the Reserve team.

By Serge I meant Srdjan Djekanovic, is that who you are referring to as well?

Steve Frazao signed an amateur contract with the Whitecaps. Amateur players can be moved up and down with ease, its the ones signed to a pro contract that are more difficult to move under current USL rulings as I understand it. Under the old A-League the Vancouver 86ers played a reserve team in the PCSL and frequently played their first team players on their PCSL team.

Guest Jeffery S.

Yes, That is who I meant.

So help me understand how a keeper who is listed as third stopper for the Whitecaps, and has played for the Reserve side, plays regularly for a rival team of the latter, even vs. his own team?

Guest Jeffery S.

Yes, That is who I meant.

So help me understand how a keeper who is listed as third stopper for the Whitecaps, and has played for the Reserve side, plays regularly for a rival team of the latter, even vs. his own team?

Jeffrey, the answer is either that the Caps Reserve Teams coach, who is Chris Bennett prefers Kindel as his goalie, or Serge has strong ties to UBC. Bennett has strong opinions and may have resisted pressure from the Caps head coach to use Serge. Perhaps Richard can shed more light on the situation.

Isn't it better that both Kindel and Djekanovic get to play regularly? Maybe Djekanovic lives closer to where the Thunderbirds practise and its nothing more than a matter of convenience - I don't know the real reason, just speculating.

Archived