May 21 - Toronto Lady Lynx vs. New York Magic [R]

Got a flat tire on the 401 in the express lane while on my way to Centennial.To make this one short I did not make it.Tried to get the score,phoned a bunch of papers.No one had the score.This morning nothing in the Star.Received a media release from the Lynx and saw we won again.They listed over 2000 spectators.What a media mess.

Result of the Saturday May 21st, 2005 W-League game between Toronto Lady Lynx and New York Magic played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 4:00pm.

19 min...LL Deana Everrett GOAL...Everrett steps around goalie on left when she took ball away from defender and rolls 5 yarder into open net from extreme left after getting around goalie Ronale McKenzie.

42 min...LL Melanie Booth GOAL...LL Cicchini cross from 50 yards on right finds LL Booth who steps behind defender at 30 yards on left side and rushes in alone and 12 yard shot rolled in to right side of net behind goalie playing her.

Final Score:.........Toronto Lady Lynx.............2............New York Magic.............0.............

Attendance was announced as 2171. I'd heard on Thursday at the CPSL press conference that 1800 tickets had been sold. The number in attendance was by my estimate about 900 people. It was the middle of a holiday weekend in Toronto. I've heard there's a great effort by Oakville Soccer Club to publicize these games to the soccer community. That is so much better that the 2004 Toronto Inferno crowds. The demographic was more female than a Toronto Lynx game. These aren't near the numbers of the Whitecaps/Canadian National Team or Ottawa Fury yet but I don't think the crowds have peaked yet. Two home wins is a good way to get things started.

The Lady Lynx dominated this game. Kim Warner was again the faster player on the field. Melanie Booth had some good runs and took a high percentage of the corner kicks and free kicks. Goalie Stacey Ban Boxmeer once again didn't have much to do.

While Kim Warner didn't play on the Toronto Inferno in 2004, she has in previous years. I know that technically the Lady Lynx are a new team but I don't think her biography in today's program insert should have not mentioned it. I saw three Inferno execs from last year watching the game today.

New York Magic could have used their 2004 W-League U-19 player of the year, defender Nicole Krzysik who wasn't on the roster today; neither was fellow defender, Irish International Delores Deasley. Welsh International Eleri Earshaw played in defence. Recent signing Jayne Ludlow, from Arsenal FC of the Premier League was a right-in on the roster at midfield. Ludlow should really have scored at 65 minutes when she missed an open net from 3 yards. It certainly would have made the game a nail biter. I didn't like goalie Ronale McKenzie's early play to start the game as I thought she was coughing up too many rebounds but the Lady Lynx couldn't capitalize. The Magic logo of the New York skyline still features the silhouettes of the Twin Towers. I suppose the team has been questioned enough in the last four years and it makes a constant reminder to "Never forget".

Lynx men's coach Hubert Busby Jr visited the press box. I asked him how the Lynx were going to get to their game this Thursday in Thunder Bay Ontario for a friendly against PSL team Thunder Bay Chill. In the press box someone estimated it was a 14 hour drive by car. The Lynx then have a home game on Saturday night. Busby says the team will fly. Team owner Bruno Hartrell said this team can score and joked that he should sign some for the men's team. I laughed more for thinking how the humour impaired on the Voyageurs web site would cringe from such a statement.

Next Lady Lynx game is Sunday June 5th against Vermont Lady Voltage at 4:00pm.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Team owner Bruno Hartrell said this team (Lady Lynx) can score and joked that he should sign some for the men's team.

Can somebody explain to me what the joke is? Is it not the goal (no pun intended) of every team owner to improve his or her team? [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Can somebody explain to me what the joke is? Is it not the goal (no pun intended) of every team owner to improve his or her team?

I think Robin meant that Bruno joked that he should move some of his women players to his men's team.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I think Robin meant that Bruno joked that he should move some of his women players to his men's team.

I still don't understand what the joke is.

[:P]

Thanks buddy. ;)

I was trying to be funny. Especially considering Rocket Robin's line about "humour impaired Voyageurs".

I guess I need to learn two rite better. Or use those smily thingys. :D

Archived