Canucks in Germany Update

Guest Ed

Saturday sees the end of the Bundesliga 1 season and Paul Stalteri's lasat game in Germany will be away to 1.FC Kaiserslautern. Werder Bremen have clinched a UEFA spot for next season but if both Hertha Berlin and VfB Stuttgart lose, Werder Bremen can sneak into the last Champions League spot with a win. Unlikely but that's why they play the games.

Julian de Guzman's season is finished but his Hannover 96 squad will be the ones who could put Bremen into the Champions League as they are away to Hertha Berlin.

There is a possibility that there will be ZERO Canucks in Germany playing at the 'pro' level after Sunday's massive Bundesliga 2 last round. And all the pivotal games on Sunday have a Cdn connection. Energie Cottbus, who've just signed Kevin McKenna, are tied on points with Tam Nsaliwa's 1. FC Saarbruecken. They are only 2 points up on LR Ahlen going into the last round.

11 Karlsruher SC 33 10 10 13 43:45 -2 40

12 1. FC Saarbrücken 33 11 6 16 43:49 -6 39

13 Energie Cottbus 33 10 9 14 33:45 -12 39

14 Eintracht Trier 33 9 11 13 38:52 -14 38

15 LR Ahlen 33 9 9 15 39:46 -7 36

16 RW Essen 33 6 15 12 35:50 -15 33

17 RW Oberhausen 33 8 9 16 39:61 -22 33

18 RW Erfurt 33 7 9 17 33:58 -25 30

On the bright side, Nik Ledgerwood's senior team, 1860 Muenchen, are in 4th place, fighting Eintracht Frankfurt for the 3rd and final promotion spot up to the Bundesliga 1. They take on LR Ahlen at home on Sunday and will be desperate for the 3 points. Energie Cottbus are away to Karlsruher SC and 1.FC Saarbruecken are home to local rivals Eintracht Trier. Given what happend in the EPL last weekend, it's nail biting time all round.

Nik Ledgerwood and his 1860 Muenchen amateur team take on FSV Mainz amateurs Friday and a win will guarantee their survival in the Regional League South next year. An 1860 win likely relegates FSV Mainz so they will have a battle on their hands.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Energie Cottbus, who've just signed Kevin McKenna, are tied on points with Tam Nsaliwa's 1. FC Saarbruecken. They are only 2 points up on LR Ahlen going into the last round.

3 points, according to those standings you posted. What's the tiebreaker?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

3 points, according to those standings you posted. What's the tiebreaker?

Yeah, sorry, I was looking at the points for Trier I think. I believe the tie-breaker is goal differential before they look at how they played each other. Assuming LR Ahlen win and both Cottbus and Saarbruecken lose, Cottbus would go down. Here's hoping for some other scenario to play out.

Huge 3-2 win for 1860 Muenchen amateurs, coming back from a 0-2 deficit to visitors FSV Mainz 05 amateurs. With the win, they cannot be relegated and are safe for next season in the Regional League South.

Fantastic win for Nik and the boys!!:D

Here are some pics of Mr. Ledgerwood in action

(Photos: Robert Hettich)

18.jpg

19.jpg

Here's hoping they do better next season and their senior side earns promotion this weekend!!

Can somebody tell me something about Ike "Johnny" Sulentic?

There is rumour that he is coming to my favorite team FC St.Pauli, third division, Germany.

I figured out that he plays for the Whitecaps and has one NT-cap.

Whats his position, is he skilled? Third division shouldn't be too hard or what do you think?

The team is trying to promote next year having already buyed back old mega-hero Thomas Meggle from Bundesliga-relegating Hansa Rostock.

The unlikely happened. Werder Bremen beat 1.FC Kaiserslautern 2-1 away; Hertha Berlin can only manage a goalless draw at home against Hannover 96; Stuttgart lose as expected to champions Bayern Munich. Werder Bremen sneak into the 3rd spot in the Bundesliga 1 table and get the Champions League qualifying round spot. Paul Stalteri comes out at 15 minutes with an ankle injury after an early chance.

It looks like McKenna owes a big "Thank You" to Nsaliwa's Saarbruken as they tied Eintract Trier

1-1 with Nsaliwa going the full 90. The result combined with Ahlen's victory over 1860 Munich and Cottbus' loss to Karlsruher left Cottbus tied with Trier in the last relegation position. Cottbus remains in B-2 on goal differential just one better than Trier.

LR Ahlen upset hosts 1860 Muenchen (senior) team 4-3 to avoid relegation and put Energie Cottbus in peril. Cottbus fail to keep the lead (2-1 at halftime) falling 3-2 to Karlsruher SC. But a late 1.FC Saarbruecken goal gives them a 1-1 tie with Eintracht Trier who are relegated. Good news for Tam Nsaliwa and Kevin McKenna as their squads will be in the Bundesliga 2 next season. 1860 Muenchen stay in the Bundesliga 2 as they fail to dislodge Eintracht Frankfurt from the third promotion spot. Final standings:

1 1. FC Köln 34 20 7 7 62:33 29 67

2 MSV Duisburg 34 19 5 10 50:37 13 62

3 Eintracht Frankfurt 34 19 4 11 65:39 26 61

4 1860 München 34 15 12 7 52:39 13 57

5 Greuther Fürth 34 17 5 12 51:42 9 56

6 Alemannia Aachen 34 16 6 12 60:40 20 54

7 Erzgebirge Aue 34 15 6 13 49:40 9 51

8 Dynamo Dresden 34 15 4 15 48:53 -5 49

9 SVW Burghausen 34 13 9 12 48:55 -7 48

10 SpVgg Unterhaching 34 14 3 17 40:43 -3 45

11 Karlsruher SC 34 11 10 13 46:47 -1 43

12 1. FC Saarbrücken 34 11 7 16 44:50 -6 40

13 LR Ahlen 34 10 9 15 43:49 -6 39

14 Energie Cottbus 34 10 9 15 35:48 -13 39

15 Eintracht Trier 34 9 12 13 39:53 -14 39

16 RW Oberhausen 34 8 10 16 40:62 -22 34

17 RW Essen 34 6 15 13 35:51 -16 33

18 RW Erfurt 34 7 9 18 34:60 -26 30

quote:Originally posted by Tim St.Pauli

There is rumour that he is coming to my favorite team FC St.Pauli, third division, Germany.

Whats his position, is he skilled? Third division shouldn't be too hard or what do you think?

The team is trying to promote next year having already buyed back old mega-hero Thomas Meggle from Bundesliga-relegating Hansa Rostock.

Hey Tim, I've only seen Sulentic play live twice but he is an offensive midfielder who is quite skilled. I don't know if he is inconsistent because he has only had the one go at the national level. Best place to inquire further is: http://www.vancouversouthsiders.com/

Well certainly looks like less TV coverage of Canucks in Germany next year. With Paul Stalteri and Julian de Guzman off to other leagues, nobody currently will be playing top flight. Looks like Maycoll Canizales has disappeared once again so I would not bet to see him with Hannover 96 senior team any time soon. Tam Nsaliwa is out of contract so we'll see if he re-signs with Saarbruecken. Kevin McKenna will hopefully be playing every week. 1860 Muenchen NOT being promoted might be good from a Cdn perspective as Nik Ledgerwood's chances of seeing senior team action might have been compromised by the club being back in the top flight.

Should be interesting to see what happens with Nik and Tam over the summer.

Sulentic is skilled for a Canadian raised player. His best position is as an attacking midfielder. He had two trials 3 or 4 years ago with Dynamo Zagreb but couldn't find a place even though he is of Croatian descent. He should do really well in 3rd division. The Whitecaps offered him a contract this year to play in the USL, but he wanted more money. They weren't offering him enough to live decently all year round. He's around 26 or 27 years old so he needs to make some good soccer money soon, or learn a trade.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for the infos!

Today appeared a new article about St.Pauli mentioning Sulentic.

Pauli seems to be really interested and the negotiations continue...

I am desperate for canadians in Germany after the terrible loss of Diesel and DeGuz! Would be perfect if my favorite team got one!

Sulentic is currently on trial with 3rd division St. Pauli rivals Wuppertal (7th place) and scored in a friendly against a lower division team in which Wuppertal played several trialists. Both St. Pauli and Wuppertal are apparently interested in signing him at the moment.

3:0 Erfolg im Testspiel bei Germania Ratingen

In einem kurzfristig anberaumten Testspiel gewann der WSV gestern Abend bei Verbandsligist Germania Ratingen mit 3:0. Trainer Uwe Fuchs nutze die Begegnung um einige Gastspieler zu testen.

Zu den Testspielern zählten Tilman Waegner (Abwehr, Hannover 96 Amateure), Damir Suljanovic (Angriff, Energie Cottbus Amateure), Tibor Tokody (Angriff, RW Oberhausen), Sebastian Metzger (Angriff, FC Eddersheim) und Ive Sulentic (Mittelfeld, Vancouver Whitecaps).

Die Aufgebote beider Teams:

Ratingen:

Hangert, Lindner, Schilling, Platz, Schneiders, Schneider, Kirazaya, Kronenberg, Jondral, Donato, Sibilski, Wienhusen, Schäfer, Tesic, Wallrafen, Eser, Öztürk

Wuppertal:

Schell, Baumann, Waegner, Kohlhaas, Suljanovic, Tokody, Metzger, Sulentic, Tavarez, Nachtigall, Malura, Sowislo, Celik, Rahmann, Bach, Kreil, Marten

Tore:

0:1 Johnny Sulentic (21.)

0:2 Tibor Tokody (28.)

0:3 Sebastian Metzger (57.)

Schiedsrichter: Martin Warmbier

Zuschauer: 50

Die Aufgebote beider Teams:

Ratingen:

Hangert, Lindner, Schilling, Platz, Schneiders, Schneider, Kirazaya, Kronenberg, Jondral, Donato, Sibilski, Wienhusen, Schäfer, Tesic, Wallrafen, Eser, Öztürk

Wuppertal:

Schell, Baumann, Waegner, Kohlhaas, Suljanovic, Tokody, Metzger, Sulentic, Tavarez, Nachtigall, Malura, Sowislo, Celik, Rahmann, Bach, Kreil, Marten

Tore:

0:1 Johnny Sulentic (21.)

0:2 Tibor Tokody (28.)

0:3 Sebastian Metzger (57.)

Schiedsrichter: Martin Warmbier

Zuschauer: 50

Hamburg newspaper MOPO printed this article today:

Trainer Andy Bergmann sagte der MOPO gestern: "Den möchte ich haben. Wir werden ihm jetzt ein konkretes Angebot machen." Der kanadische Mittelfeld-Allrounder (25) hatte den Coach vorige Woche beim Probetraining überzeugt: "Der ist aggressiv im Zweikampf, technisch versiert und hat ein gutes Auge."

(FC St.Pauli) Coach Andy Bergmann told MOPO yesterday:" I really want to have him (Sulentic). We will offer him a contract now." The canadian midfield allrounder (25) convinnced the coach on his training trial: "He is agressive one-on-one, technichal skilled and has a good eye/view."

Didn't knew that Wuppertal wants to sign him too..

• 4 weeks later...

Finally we got our Canadian at FC St.Pauli (Regionalliga Nord (3))!!

St.Paulis Coach Andy Bergmann introduces all new players to Hamburg newspaper MOPO:

Über Ive "Johnny" Sulentic (25/15): "Ein Teamplayer, zweikampfstark, gutes Auge. Um schnell bei uns zu sein, verzichtet er sogar auf einen Einsatz in Kanadas Nationalmannschaft."

Ive "Johnny Sulentic (age25/ number 15):" A Teamplayer, strong one-on-one, good eye. To be with us in short time he refused to play for the Canadian national team."

I don't know if that referrs to the Gold Cup, but I can't imagine that Yallop planned to invite him!

St.Paulis Coach Andy Bergmann introduces all new players to Hamburg newspaper MOPO:

Über Ive "Johnny" Sulentic (25/15): "Ein Teamplayer, zweikampfstark, gutes Auge. Um schnell bei uns zu sein, verzichtet er sogar auf einen Einsatz in Kanadas Nationalmannschaft."

Ive "Johnny Sulentic (age25/ number 15):" A Teamplayer, strong one-on-one, good eye. To be with us in short time he refused to play for the Canadian national team."

I don't know if that referrs to the Gold Cup, but I can't imagine that Yallop planned to invite him!

He was invited at the mini camp in florida a month ago, I don't know if he was there.

He was invited at the mini camp in florida a month ago, I don't know if he was there.

Archived