Rogers Centre for U-20 ?

G-Man

They do(or did) put up screens behind the north end goal so that stray balls don't end causing accidents on King St. For something like the WYC it would look extremely amateurish to have that, but for the Lynx it would be an upgrade in the presentation of their product.

re: Lamport...

Where is this info that it isn't wide enough? Lamport is the largest park in Toronto width & length. I know so because I have played on it many many times. Currently it is a dump, but in its current config it would be ideal given an upgrade ( seats, turf, roof? press-box ). Yes, a south stand would cut into parking but with its central locale, and proximity to the CNE and the Gardiner, GO train, access isn't a problem. Lots of pubs for games, plenty of places to park. This could easily be upgraded to a 20000 seat facility, offer a legacy, and give Toronto soccer a hub to use for years in keeping why it was originally built. It's a site with a bit of character, much like a Molson stadium in Mtl.

quote:Originally posted by Ajax Jambo

re: Lamport...

Where is this info that it isn't wide enough? Lamport is the largest park in Toronto width & length. I know so because I have played on it many many times. Currently it is a dump, but in its current config it would be ideal given an upgrade ( seats, turf, roof? press-box ). Yes, a south stand would cut into parking but with its central locale, and proximity to the CNE and the Gardiner, GO train, access isn't a problem. Lots of pubs for games, plenty of places to park. This could easily be upgraded to a 20000 seat facility, offer a legacy, and give Toronto soccer a hub to use for years in keeping why it was originally built. It's a site with a bit of character, much like a Molson stadium in Mtl.

This basically tells you all you need to know about Lamport's problems. Robin posted this awhile back in this thread:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2801

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From one of my old reports from 1997 when Toronto Supra played at Lamport Stadium, I'd rate the place as dangerous. It was so narrow that the lines reached almost to the concrete walls.

Also the field was short 100 yard football field and 10 yard end zones.

I could remember a few incidents of players being pushed into the wall. CNSL/CPSL had no fishnet access so balls sailed into the parking lot on the south end or onto King Street if sent over the north fence.

http://home.eol.ca/~robing/cnsl9708.htm

2nd half:

Halftime Supra subs...Mitchell replaces Ionadi.

.....................................Broomes replaces Faria.

48 min...Supra YELLOW card...Manuel for elbowing Gebczynski while both going for header at midfield. Gebczynski is seriously injured. The game is delayed for 30 minutes as although he's near sidelines, the field is bounded by low concrete walls so a deflected ball could cause further injury. Eventually an ambulance drives through the south gate (time wasted as it can't enter from the north) and right onto the field (artificial turf). Gebczynski is stretchered into the ambulance with a neck brace.

City sub...Player/coach Roney replaces Gebczynski.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

shot of lamport:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.638626,-79.423396&spn=0.004860,0.005450&t=k&hl=en

you might have to click on the satelite button.

In comparision to the Ottawa Fury's home :

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=ottawa&ll=45.388738,-75.694127&spn=0.004860,0.005450&t=k&hl=en

Or where the Wizards played:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=ottawa&ll=45.271890,-75.957681&spn=0.004860,0.005450&t=k&hl=en

Lamport with a few bucks thrown in, isn't looking that bad.

I sense there is a lot of mis-information here on Lamports dimensions, and lines etc. The field is a dogs breakfast when it comes to the visuals, but I can safely say that it is easily 120 yds long by 80 yds wide. The city, in their wisdom have always had the Soccer lines extended to the limit, bringing into play the walls. In this config, a corner requires an almighty welly to get it into the box. Any FIFA competition has a 110 to 115 long by 65 to 75 wide for games. This would give the ability to knock down the dangerous walls, lower and level the field slightly, and move forward with making the place a little more conducive to passing a ball 5 yards with out the risk of it running for 50 yds.

Just a thought.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Back to the original topic of this thread: the Italy vs. Serbia game at SkyDome will be played on natural grass.

so it can done. line up the U-20 games and give the 35 million to Stephen Harper to develop a personality.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

so it can done. line up the U-20 games and give the 35 million to Stephen Harper to develop a personality.

Stephen Harper........at least Stanfield had a Banana and Kim Campbell had a robe and Manning had a......well......aaaaa.....nasel voice and McKay has no soul as he sold it to Harper and Belinda crushed his heart. I don't think any of these cost $35 mil.

Back to topic. Just put the Dome up as the host and go show that the biggest, most densely populated area will pay to watch soccer or shut up. No more excuses[}:)]

Archived