T&T Losses Big Finanacially......

Winnipeg Fury

$.4 million loss by TTFF after World Cup qualifiers.

By: Kwame Williams.

After the two 2006 World Cup qualifying matches played in Trinidad this year, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation’s unaudited statements of income and expenditure show that the Federation suffered a huge financial loss.

The deficit, estimated at $436,452, came after the second home match, in which T&T drew goalless with Costa Rica at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on March 30.

The TTFF spent $1,408,395, with the lion’s share of that money going towards match fees for the local players ($220,465), advertising ($131,992) and travel ($493,461).

Mediocre ticket sales, which generated $503,652 and $146,080 in sponsorship rounded off the revenue to a disappointing $649,732. This resulted in a deficit of $758,663 for that match alone.

The TTFF fared a lot better with the first match, played against the USA at the Queen’s Park Oval on Ash Wednesday (February 9), taking in a whopping $1,454,609.

Ticket sales for that match hauled in $1,384,609 of the total income, while $70,000 for media rights made up the balance.

Total expenditure amounted to $1,132,398, which was considerably less than that for the Costa Rica match, despite of the fact that the TTFF expended more money for entertainment on Ash Wednesday ($26,087) than on March 30 ($19,500).

Travel ($272,825) and advertising ($165,023) also formed a big portion of the expenses for the USA match and were surpassed only by the $312,925 in accommodation expenses.

Match fees for the USA match amounted to $148,259—$72,206 less than that for the qualifier against Costa Rica—with $64,259 being paid to the foreign-based T&T players and $84,000 going to the home-based.

The TTFF was given a much-needed boost last week when the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs granted the Federation $1,684,921. This is to be put towards continuation of the national team’s World Cup qualifying campaign.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

This is what happens when a team has to endure the long and arduous hexagonal process without actually having much of a chance of qualifying.

Is it wrong to enjoy T&T suffering financially for playing a couple of minnows to earn the free pass to get thumped in the hex?

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

This is what happens when a team has to endure the long and arduous hexagonal process without actually having much of a chance of qualifying.

Is it wrong to enjoy T&T suffering financially for playing a couple of minnows to earn the free pass to get thumped in the hex?

cheers,

matthew

in a word....NO

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

By: Kwame Williams.

After the two 2006 World Cup qualifying matches played in Trinidad this year, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation’s unaudited statements of income and expenditure show that the Federation suffered a huge financial loss.

The deficit, estimated at $436,452, came after the second home match, in which T&T drew goalless with Costa Rica at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on March 30.

The TTFF spent $1,408,395, with the lion’s share of that money going towards match fees for the local players ($220,465), advertising ($131,992) and travel ($493,461).

Mediocre ticket sales, which generated $503,652 and $146,080 in sponsorship rounded off the revenue to a disappointing $649,732. This resulted in a deficit of $758,663 for that match alone.

The TTFF fared a lot better with the first match, played against the USA at the Queen’s Park Oval on Ash Wednesday (February 9), taking in a whopping $1,454,609.

Ticket sales for that match hauled in $1,384,609 of the total income, while $70,000 for media rights made up the balance.

Total expenditure amounted to $1,132,398, which was considerably less than that for the Costa Rica match, despite of the fact that the TTFF expended more money for entertainment on Ash Wednesday ($26,087) than on March 30 ($19,500).

Travel ($272,825) and advertising ($165,023) also formed a big portion of the expenses for the USA match and were surpassed only by the $312,925 in accommodation expenses.

Match fees for the USA match amounted to $148,259—$72,206 less than that for the qualifier against Costa Rica—with $64,259 being paid to the foreign-based T&T players and $84,000 going to the home-based.

The TTFF was given a much-needed boost last week when the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs granted the Federation $1,684,921. This is to be put towards continuation of the national team’s World Cup qualifying campaign.

Why worry abot T&T i doubt Canada did very well on the money side either? Mins you with the lack of friedlies prior to wcq, we might

have broke even, and thats a plus.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

No, no, Geezus, no.

Altogether, it's sort of made my week.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

And us beating the mighty Belize was not beating minnows?

No, but it's not analogous to the point I was making. With the exception of Costa Rica and Jamaica all of the teams in the final leg of the preliminary round played minnows. We played Belize, T&T played the Dominican rep. Nowhere did I mention the preliminary round.

In the semifinal round T&T had a defacto free pass only needing to beat out St. Kitts and Nevis and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. While these ties obviously made the task of advancing to the hex easier, T&T drew 7,000 for St. Kitts and 10,000 for St. V&G. While those numbers aren't terrible, they aren't helping the bottom line I would not think.

The big problem now is that they are in the hex and are relative no hopers. While many Canadian supporters (and US and Honduran and a lot of other nations) were moaning that they didn't have to beat anyone decent to get to the hexagonal, their easy path appears to have dented the wallets at the T&T FA. They only drew 8,000 for Costa Rica (yes I know we didn't draw that many for Costa Rica, but we were never spending $100k + on advertising and discussing and enjoying T&T's financial situation doesn't really have anything to do with Canada. I only mention it because I know someone else will too.) after losing 5-1 in Guatemala.

The point I was making was that T&T may have received a generous draw to get the to hex, but they made little off the SF round with small crowds for poor teams and now that they are there and appear to be out-classed, their support is staying away and the T&T FA is losing money.

None of that has anything to do with us beating Belize. Of course as a true Canadian supporter through thick and thin, I was at the two Belize matches. I'll watch my team play minnows and hopefully help the CSA's bottom line.

cheers,

matthew

Funny thing too, Belize played their home leg in Kingston as the CSA agreed to foot the bill and push a little cashola Belize's way off the gate if I remember correctly. Good on the CSA that.

Anyway, as happy as I am to see the TTFF showing a deficit I can't help but believe that the numbers are misleading, exagerated or at least cooked. A half million for travel expenses?

Archived