Those who were maintaining the Canadians Abroad ..

Jarrek

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Can the folks who were maintaining the Canadian Soccer Players part of our website give me a shout? I'd like to get that up and running again now that we have lots of extra space.

Marc, I believe that you were one of these people? Ray ?

Oh yeah, sorry, I got your email...I've jsut been busy and it kinda filtered down the pile accidentally.

WF / Ray did most of the tracking, I just did the manual updating pretty much. We could get it going again but if GL and friends are going to do the same in the forums, should we just link to the last page of the Cdn Abroad forum discussion?

I don't really have a preference, however.

I was maintaining the list of official caps. I also helped out here and there with Marc's "notable" Canadian squads section.

I would be glad to continue in this role if you think official cap-tying of players is still important since the rules changed. I can also help with other info gathering if required.

quote:Originally posted by ray

I was maintaining the list of official caps. I also helped out here and there with Marc's "notable" Canadian squads section.

I would be glad to continue in this role if you think official cap-tying of players is still important since the rules changed. I can also help with other info gathering if required.

Ray, I still have the caps info you sent me ages and ages and ages ago. My apologies for not putting it up, but the site was being re-organized so I say no point in updating at the time.

What are our capabilities for a player database? If we could get a DB going for players it would be easy to 'query' caps stats and who is playing abroad as opposed to home.

To continue, I was thinking something very basic. Forget the full profiles for now, I’m envisioning something along these lines

Name – Position – Club – date of birth – city born – hometown – second nationality – caps

…and any other info that could be useful. In regards to the squads info, if we had columns for each significant squad, it could be as simple as a checkbox or querying based on a yes/no sort of thing.

I’m thinking just kind of basic line info on players, more of a database to be used for different queries or whatever, potentially to be expanded later if need be for full profiles or whatever use.

Is this doable/possible/useful?

quote:Originally posted by ray

Hi Marc.

I do think it would be useful to maintain a Canadian player database. The basic data fields you mention are a good place to start.

Glad you agree.

It'll take a bit of work to setup, but it's faster than doing a DB of full profiles, that's for sure. It'll be easier to update, and it doesn't take long to input new players, and in no time we'd have a the most comprehensive Cdn player database on the Net, as opposed to just static lists of caps and players abroad.

With a DB like that we could query lists for Cdn Abroad, Cdn playing domestically, Caps, Cdns playing for other nations, tournament squads...what else? Any other ideas?

Any other ideas plase fire away... :)

I don't know anything about ASP but am willing to give it a look and see if there is anything I can do. I am more familiar with Java and will also try something with that. I'll let you know. If it doesn't work out I still think we could have a static page for a while until we develop some coding expertise.

I can report considerable progress toward an ASP/MS Access solution that would allow simple "canned" queries such as a player's surname, birth year or the country of his club. Marc, I will send you an e-mail with my database and you can let me know what you think of the data fields (useful or not).

Archived