Saint John & St.John's new teams in the QMJHL

argh1

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Mile One Arena or whatever it's called.

That's right Mile One Stadium , current home of the St. John's Maple Leafs (AHL) & Saint John will play in Harbour Station former home of the Saint John Flames also of the afore mentioned carpet beggars league.

Both rinks are fairly new 10 years or less range and both seat slightly over 6,000.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

There's talk that the St John's side might play in Corner Brook if they don't get the lease deal they want for Mile One.

Apparently St John's city council isn't happy with who won the rights to the expansion team.

Yeah , the Dobbin brothers beat out the city to win the franchise bid.

But after a quick look around The Pepsi Centre in Corner Brook was built in 1999 has a capacity of 3,220.Which sounds small but after a quick search it's in line with a lot of Q rinks. Just the Atlantic arenas in size : Acadie-Bathurst Titan , K.C. Irving Centre 3,524. P.E.I. Rocket , Charlottetown Civic Centre 3,718. Cape Breton Screaming Eagles , Centre 200 4,670. Moncton Wildcats , Moncton Coliseum 7,200. Halifax Mooseheads , Metro Centre 10,000.

So if need be I'm sure they can get by in Corner Brook and the Western region of the island is hockey mad (Corner Brook Royals were Senior League giants) . But then again after the season is done this year and council realizes there's no tennant for Mile One things may change. But time will tell. I'm sure these millionaire brothers didn't pay 3 million for the franchise with-out some fall back plans.

EDIT: The average attendance in the Q in 2003-04 (according to QMJHL site) was 3,119 and an average rink capacity of 5,187.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I thought the Mooseheads had been moved from the Metro Centre to a smaller arena.

No that was new owner Bobby Smith getting a lease instead of the one that the pevious owners had , all worked out before the season started.

The unnamed Saint John franchise hires New Brunswick hockey guru Tipper LeBlanc as general manager.

CanadaEast.com Article

I'm not sure which rendition of the Moncton Jr A Beavers he played with. But the current Beavers have played for quite awhile in the Maritime Jr A League (tier2). Part of the 138 member , 10 league Canadian Junior A League (tier2)

CJAHL site

Edit:

I deleted a whole stupid rant about how Hockey Canada is much more organized with national leagues than the CSA .......Kinda like tell me something we all don't know. We can only dream of having close to 200 junior soccer teams playing under two national umbrella leagues like they do in hockey. :(

Archived