Know Thy Enemy: MLS fines Guevara $2,000

nolando

September 2, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- MetroStars midfielder Amado Guevara was fined $2,000 by MLS on Thursday for his actions during a 1-1 tie with Columbus last Sunday.

Guevara was given automatic fines of $200 and $300 for getting two yellow cards for arguing calls. He also was ejected, another $250 fine.

The league's disciplinary committee fined him an additional $500 for disrespecting the assistant referee, and another $500 for failing to leave the field when he was ejected. Finally, MLS fined Guevara $250 for publicly criticizing the refereeing.

Guevara is suspended for the next game for which he is available to the MetroStars, on Sept. 11 vs. New England. He will be playing for Honduras in World Cup qualifying this weekend.

Geez, I know who just became my "first carded player" for the pool.

You know what the funny part about all this is, he is never like that in the National team or when he played in his club side in Honduras, or in his other team in Mexico and Spain. He actually always is the calming force, but in the MLS he just becomes another guy. I saw him once pull a "Rivaldo" once that was shameless. If i am not mistaken somebody on the sideline touched him with a towel when he was going to do a through in and he fell like he was shot by someone in the stands...

Archived