Impact draw 9,763 in Québec City

Daniel

quote:Originally posted by The Coach

Daniel is right, the problem in Quebec City is the stadium and no private prospective owner. At the PEPS we are too far from the field because of the track and the surface is not the best (FieldTurf is better). What we need is a dedicated facility with around 6000 seats, FieldTurf and lights.

Also the only private investor who could own a franchise is the Tanguay family and they are already well implicated in hockey (Québec Remparts and Rimouski Océanic) and in football with Le Rouge et Or.

It opens up the possibility of them having something in the summer ;).

I think the stadium per say is ok, with the track not being as bad as CCR (more like Centennial). Of course, lights reportedly cost $250k to install...

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

I understand that Drummondville might be building a 7K seat go cart track, in which a soccer feild couild be installed. Another Quebec A-league team I guess.

Yeah, and if Ajax, Ontario does it, would you say that?

The only cities where there can reasonnably be an A-League team are Montréal and Québec and maybe Gatineau under the right conditions.

Huh???

A go-kart track in Drummondville and somehow that equals "potential A-League site"???

I still don't get it. Calgary and Québec are decent sites (as in cities) for teams, but, among other things, the stadiums are inadequate.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Huh???

A go-kart track in Drummondville and somehow that equals "potential A-League site"???

I still don't get it. Calgary and Québec are decent sites (as in cities) for teams, but, among other things, the stadiums are inadequate.

Plus there is no history of soccer nor any indication that many of these communities have soccer ( ie.: mens soccer ) demographics.

I am surprised that nobody has noticed this before but take a look at our various pools for male soccer players and canada. Then look at where the players are from. What you will notice about soccer, unlike just about any other sport in canada, is that just about every single player comes from an urban background. Usually a suburb of a major city. You would probably find the same kind of thing if you look at provincial all star squads or provincial amateaur of semi pro leagues.

Therefore I don't see how one can say with certainty that there is market for people to go and watch soccer in a place like quebec city.

Archived