Impact draw 9,763 in Québec City

Daniel

Good game this afternoon in Quebec City with the biggest crowd ever for a soccer game in Quebec City. The crowd was very quiet during the first half but was more animated in the second.

Sebrango goal was superb with an excellent delivery from Chris Williams. I was dissapointed by Gervais play in the first half, he look very shaky and made some very unusual mistakes for a defender of his caliber(Gervais was much better in the second half). On the other hand Nevio Pizzolito was superb all game long, very confident with Nevio being included for wednesday game against Guatemala.

A bit dissapointed not seing Sutton in goal for Montreal but I was impressed by Olivieri play, very confident in the air and made some good saves.

The game was much more interesting than last year game against Syracuse but the players still seems to have some problem with the field surface.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

It is Fieldturf, permanent football lines and doesn't have lights.

It's great for a university stadium, but it isn't much more (it looks kinds rinky dink, too :S).

The turf is not Fieldturf but a similiar product. I only maake this comment as some players I know that have played soccer there havve commented to me that it is not up to Fieldturf standards.

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

The turf is not Fieldturf but a similiar product. I only maake this comment as some players I know that have played soccer there havve commented to me that it is not up to Fieldturf standards.

Good point and the players had a difficult time controlling the ball.

The B team won the match in the last 10 minutes. Biello was awful. Was Ribeiro playing? He was invisible.

De Santis will have to give more playing time to Lavrynenko.

Darko Kolic was offside 5 times in 10 minutes when he came in to replace Commodore who can't walk these days let alone run.

Chris Williams made a good impression when he came on, replacing Braz.

Nevio was fantastic and Gervais had an off day. Ze Roberto picked up his 8th yellow card and could be suspended 3 games if he gets another one.

Andrew proved he's a good back-up and was solid in the nets.

We have to find a way to beat teams like that by more than one goal. We just don't seem to be able to impose and dictate the play.

When facing a team like Puerto Rico, we seem to play at their pace.

Yes Bxl Boy, I forgot to say that I was impress by Grande and that it was too bad that he pick up an injury at the end of the first half.

If Sutton stays with the Impact next season, Olivieri should try to find a #1 spot somewhere else in the league or even try to go in Europe(Scandinavia would be a good place) because he looks like a very promissing keeper.

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

Astroplay, The same surface at Canada Inns Stadium in Winnipeg and Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton is installed at PEPS in Quebec City

The PEPS surface is not FieldTurf but AstroPlay. I played on both type of surface and FieldTurf is definitely better. The carpet is not the same, Astroplay is more like a green turf carpet they sell at HomeDepot.

I was at the game. Vincello centre’s are terrific.

The Lynx scheduled one of their games against the Islanders for School Day. Montreal drives them right out of town by having the game in Quebec City? :)

What's the reaction of season ticket holders IN Montreal? What do the Western Voyageurs (who commented on the Lynx midday games) think about out of town games? At least the Lynx stopped playing in cities like Kitchener a few years ago. Hey it was Centennial Stadium in Kitchener back in 1999 against Minnesota.

I think out of town games are absolutely garbage. The aim of a club is to build a fan base in their own city. If they are going to screw their own loyal supporters by playing a couple of home games out of town they aren't serious. A real league would insist that it's teams play all it's games in it's own city in it's regular stadium unless there is some real reason for playing agame at another stadium.

Hmm, it should only be done rarely , and well publicized to potential season -ticket holders well before the the season starts.

On the other hand, if it is of a moderate distance away and can create enthusiasm in a city, like last year's Storm-Caps match in Saskatoon, I say bravo. However, it should not be done on a regular basis, and no more than once a year.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

What's the reaction of season ticket holders IN Montreal? What do the Western Voyageurs (who commented on the Lynx midday games) think about out of town games? At least the Lynx stopped playing in cities like Kitchener a few years ago. Hey it was Centennial Stadium in Kitchener back in 1999 against Minnesota.

Again, it has to do with the Impact being supposedly "Québec's (province) team", notably with the Government money and the franchise rights.

Being a season ticket owner in Montréal is more expensive than buying the same tickets each game!!! (12+2 for playoffs) x 15$ = 210$ whereas season tickets cost 225$! They include the CanAm final if Montréal hosts (and we all know what happened there) and preseason games (all free anyways, none at CCR). There are no GA season tickets, only 3-game flexpasses at 20$.

It's getting annoying going to Québec as this is the 3rd year there with absolutely NO prospect of a franchise in la Vieille Capitale. Sherbrooke might be fun and will showcase their new stadium (which could hold WCQs ;)....). One game away from Montréal is tolerable, 2 is annoying. Although it just means less nights where I'm kicking myself watching the Impact :P.

A big problem is that the Impact leaves ticket duties to the regional associations (which means we can't buy tickets in Montréal and our flexpasses, season tickets, etc. can't be redeemed). These associations usually run the game in a very amateurish fashion (example, the PEPS ran out of food and drink by halftime).

And I think I speak for most fans here when I say I don't give a crap what Western Voyageurs thik about this issue [}:)].

I can't see Quebec City getting an A-league team. Where would the talent come from? Dynamo is known for its girls programs over it’s boys program. I think QC has a better hope of maintaining a W-league team than a big-ticket item like an A-league team. A PDL perhaps? A Impact feeder team? Using entirely players from the province?

And as for the Impact playing in other towns, it’s a smart move. They expand their fan base, move some shirts and generally promote the game across the province. I’m sure it also helps the RDS ratings. Why limited your market? It's such a western notion to talk about exclusion that we out here east simply don't understand why you want to limit making money or expanding your fan base.

Thank god Roma, Liverpool, Porto and Man U don't play all their "home" games in their respective cities. I wonder why they do it?

Well done Imapct.

Old Joke:

How many Man U fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

One but he has to drive up from London to do it.

Maybe....during the play-offs, you just might see a bus or two from Estrie or Quebec City dropping fans off at the gate.

Minnesota has played out of at least 4 stadiums this year. I asked one of their supporters why they do this and he said it's because they want to reward youth soccer in certain areas of town by playing home games in their neighboourhoods. Well if these youth soccer people were really interested in the team wouldn't they make the effort to watch Minnesota if they stuck in one stadium? All that playing out of various stadiums does is makes the fans want the team to come to them and dissuades the fans from going to the team.

But the difference is that there are actually a good number from outside Montréal which attend games at CCR regularly.

I think that an A-League team in Québec City wouldn't have problems with players. 5 international on top of maybe 13-15 Canadians, with maybe 10 Québec players. An LSEQ all-star team defeated PR by 2-1 last week. The first seasons would be rough, but it's not like they'd have mediocre 16-year olds playing for them. The problem is the stadium and no prospective owner.

Daniel is right, the problem in Quebec City is the stadium and no private prospective owner. At the PEPS we are too far from the field because of the track and the surface is not the best (FieldTurf is better). What we need is a dedicated facility with around 6000 seats, FieldTurf and lights.

Also the only private investor who could own a franchise is the Tanguay family and they are already well implicated in hockey (Québec Remparts and Rimouski Océanic) and in football with Le Rouge et Or.

Archived