Euro Attendance.

bettermirror

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

but is that high compared to other tournaments?

Not really. For such an large and well-known Sporting venture, the tickets were rather affordable. More so at the high end then the low end. The most expensive tickets were relatively inexpensive while the 'bad' seats were kind of pricey.

(Edit - Spelling)

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

so i've been meaning to bring this up for a while. i can only remember 2 or 3 euro 2004 sellouts.

were the prices outrageous? poorly organized? difficult venues to get to? difficulty travelling into portugal?

i just found it odd for such a massive tournament.

Some things might help explain:

Firsly, there HAD to be more than 2 or 3 sellouts! Just England and Portugal played in a combined 9 games by themselves and you couldn't buy a ticket for these matches thru conventional methods.

Secondly, the tickets were not expensive compared to what North Americans and people living in either Britain or countries that use the Euro are used to. I disagree with the person who said the "bad" seats were pricey. 35 euros is quite reasonable compared to what we pay for the cheapest seats for NHL, NBA playoff games here. And also there are no bad seats in those stadiums.

Thirdly, a problem is when you have Denmark, Czech Republic and Greece doing so well. Not too many non-Czechs or non-Greeks would be interested in matches involving these teams . And for Czech Rep. (not sure about Greece) who aren't using the Euro then, yes, the prices are steep.

Fouthly, the venues are easy to get to once you are in the city </u> (the public transport in Portugal's cities - one of the poorest countries in the EU - is still light years ahead of Toronto, for instance). However, aside from Lisboa, good luck trying to find a hotel room in a city that has a match that night. Many people i imagine wouldn't go after tickets until they found a hotel for that night, which was very difficult (then you have disorganized people like me who spend the night in train stations).

The organization and accessibility to the stadiums was exceptional. That was not the reason for the non-sellouts.

Most of the empty seats at games could be attributed to poor distribution of tickets by respective soccer federations. The Italian federation was one of the biggest culprits.

Additionally, the tickets were relatively expensive for the locals to attend and justify (unless it was Portugal). While tickets were 'cheap' compared to North American prices for sporting events, they were expensive for those living in Portugal.

Archived