vancouver at seattle 07/10 [R]

snake

Sometimes I'm amazed the Seattle announcer has a job.

He was talking about the number of "ticky-tack" fouls called in Vancouver last night, then he came up with this profound statement..

"Seattle was called for, I believe, 24 fouls last night, while Vancouver had 39 or 40 in the end."

39 or 40? Nothing like a little exaggeration to make your point. Vancovuer had 21.

Vancouver only brings 14 players to Seattle tonight. 0-0 about 10 minutes in.

I'm also amazed this guy has a job. Just loved his comment about Martin Nash: "I was told at the game last night that Martin Nash is NBA star Steve Nash's brother, but I don't see it. Theres no resemblence at at all. It could be true but they look nothing alike."

I would have thought that he'd have checked it out today before going on the radio making stupid comments.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

I hope we beat these bums, since this is their last season in the A-League, we won't have many chances more.

I think they'll still be in the A-League next season, as they are not among the 2 expansion teams (Chivas, Utah) that MLS is bringing in for 2005.

There is speculation that Seattle will be announced as a 2006 expansion site during Wednesday's press conference announcing the 2005 teams.

Adrian Hanauer has already said that it's likely there will be no Sounders for 2005.

And his comments over the past few months seem to indicate an "MLS or bust" attitude. If Seattle doesn't get an MLS team (which I think is not a lock) then I would guess it would have to be another group bringing the USL back to Seattle.

Apparently shots were 19-18 for Seattle and Burpo made 9 saves to Alex's 3. It didn't sound that way to me from the broadcast, but then I get phone calls every few minutes from people wanting to know the score, so maybe I missed all of Vancouver's chances. Either that or they all came early during the Jeff Stock interview. :-)

Yep, the speculation is that they will be announcing no A-League for Seattle next season during that press conference as it will be too taxing on them preparing for MLS and running an A-League team at the same time. Besides, once they announce they are going MLS in 2006, what remaining Sounder fan is going to care? They aren't even going to be the Sounders in MLS, so the rest of the fans will jump ship.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Allison A

Sometimes I'm amazed the Seattle announcer has a job.

He was talking about the number of "ticky-tack" fouls called in Vancouver last night, then he came up with this profound statement..

"Seattle was called for, I believe, 24 fouls last night, while Vancouver had 39 or 40 in the end."

39 or 40? Nothing like a little exaggeration to make your point. Vancovuer had 21.

Vancouver only brings 14 players to Seattle tonight. 0-0 about 10 minutes in.

I heard that too, and just figured he was confused. Also seemed to openly doubt that Marty Nash was Steve's brother "they told us he was Steve Nash's brother up in Vancouver but I don't know, doesn't look like him at all". Very bad announcer in general when it came to calling the game as well, agreed. Really needed to have a decent colour commentator to force him to just stick to play-by-play.

I think he was trying to show that Vancouver is a more physical (codeword: dirty) team than Seattle, but when he saw the stats didn't agree with his numbers, he just threw in a figure that would prove his point.

The Seattle announcer, along with their PR, coach, etc, goes a long way to try to dispel the impression that they are a very chippy team. And though while things seem to have improved this year, they are once again leading the Western Conference in disciplinary points.

But don't forget what their coach said in the press this week:

"We need to play more aggressively," he said. "We are a 'nice' soccer team. We play good, attacking soccer. But when you're 7-7-2, you can't be nice anymore. I don't mind aggressive fouls."

Tighten up the shinguards, Western Conference. The Sounders are 7-8-3, in danger of falling out of the playoffs, and word is the Sounders will be shot on field at the end of their last game this year to put them out of their misery..

This could get very ugly.

quote:Originally posted by Allison A

I think he was trying to show that Vancouver is a more physical (codeword: dirty) team than Seattle, but when he saw the stats didn't agree with his numbers, he just threw in a figure that would prove his point.

The Seattle announcer, along with their PR, coach, etc, goes a long way to try to dispel the impression that they are a very chippy team. And though while things seem to have improved this year, they are once again leading the Western Conference in disciplinary points.

But don't forget what their coach said in the press this week:

"We need to play more aggressively," he said. "We are a 'nice' soccer team. We play good, attacking soccer. But when you're 7-7-2, you can't be nice anymore. I don't mind aggressive fouls."

Tighten up the shinguards, Western Conference. The Sounders are 7-8-3, in danger of falling out of the playoffs, and word is the Sounders will be shot on field at the end of their last game this year to put them out of their misery..

This could get very ugly.

No uglier than your obviously biased posting on the Sounders' play.

Stats are only part of the story. So is making claims about 2 matches that you didn't attend, but only listened to.

The only way A-League clubs have found to stop Jonathan Bolanos is to triple team and trip him. This the 'Caps did numerous times. It worked. So, are the Caps "dirty," "smart," or both?

The ONLY Sounder who I think consistently plays "dirty" because of his lack of skill level is Chad Brown. A few others play tough and don't give ground, but also don't look for the foul.

Roger Levesque (forward) is one of the leading foulers on the team. He gets called a lot for trying to make space in the box. He's not out to foul, he's out to score goals. He also gets his share of fouls for pushing back against over-agressive defenders, you know, the "see the second push" syndrome.

In the matches against Portland this year the Sounders have not been overly rough, save for the moment in game one, which was started by the Timbers Josh Saunders swinging his elbows during a clearance when hands would have sufficed.

So, there are always two sides to a story. Allison represents the "bitter rival to the South" side. She spends lots of time making much fun of the Sounders organization. She and other Timbers fans have posted that the Sounders "make it too easy" to poke fun at them.

I say time spent away from talking about her Timbers is time well spent, indeed.

Over on the useless discussion boards you claim that Vancouver was the dirtier team because Seattle had more players injured? That sounds a little biased as well. The game in Vancouver I don't remember any dirty Vancouver fouls, can't really say what went on in Seattle, although if anything remotely bad had happened (caused by Vancouvers dirty play) the Seattle commentator would have had a stroke.

I think the number of Seattle injuries has more to do with the fact they played 3 games in 4 nights, not dirty Vancouver play. Blame whoever made Seattles schedule for that.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Over on the useless discussion boards you claim that Vancouver was the dirtier team because Seattle had more players injured? That sounds a little biased as well. The game in Vancouver I don't remember any dirty Vancouver fouls, can't really say what went on in Seattle, although if anything remotely bad had happened (caused by Vancouvers dirty play) the Seattle commentator would have had a stroke.

I think the number of Seattle injuries has more to do with the fact they played 3 games in 4 nights, not dirty Vancouver play. Blame whoever made Seattles schedule for that.

Not because of the injuries. That night they were just the more physically aggressive team.

Archived