Story on Waldemar Dutra

Journey into the unknown

Local product Waldemar Dutra is headed to Germany hoping to make a name for himself with Schweinfurt

By SCOTT ZERR -- Edmonton Sun

Waldemar Dutra could be the type of homegrown talent the Edmonton Aviators are looking for.

He's a skilled central midfielder who has had experience with Canada's youth squads and on international soil.

But instead of bolstering the lineup of the local pro team that is searching for goal-scoring help, Dutra headed overseas yesterday, the fourth year he's made the trek to Europe to further his career.

The 21-year-old from Sherwood Park, who spent a chunk of his short off-season keeping in shape by attending the Aviators' practices, is slated to join Schweinfurt in the German Third Division this season after spending last year toiling for NK Osijek in Croatia.

IT WAS A LOT OF FUN

"I would love to play for the Aviators. I spent a whole week training with those guys and it was a lot of fun, but their season is only four or five months," said Dutra, whose home is plastered with memorabilia from foreign teams as well as medals and trophies from his own amateur successes.

"To make a career playing in the A-League is pretty difficult. I could try and play here and then in the NPSL (indoor league) in the winter. I make a comfortable living in Europe and playing in that environment - even in the Third Division there are 10,000 people at the games.

"It was quite shocking to me when I got there just how much they love the sport. You just don't realize how much even watching it on TV. Once you're there and hear how loud it is - they sign through the whole game - it's unbelievable."

Last year with Canada's under-21 side, Dutra was a teammate of both Chris Lemire and Gordon Chin who joined the expansion Aviators this summer.

The Croatian experience wasn't an entirely smooth one for Dutra as the team's coach and president clashed over his playing time.

His lone break came when the coach went behind the president's back to put Dutra in the starting 11 in a feature matchup against Dynamo Zagreb.

A game later, Dutra wasn't even on the bench and it was soon time to look for another opportunity.

Had Dutra - whose parents and two siblings were born in Argentina - stayed home, it's a good bet he would have landed a full-ride scholarship from an NCAA school, played for a club team at home during the summer and then taken a stab at the pro game in North America.

That just didn't have the appeal to Dutra that immersing himself in the European game did.

TRYING TO MAKE IT

"When I first went over at 17, I got my diploma by correspondence and I decided to 'Why not see how far I can go and try to make it,' " he explained.

"Now that I'm in my 20s, I'll see how far I can go. If I get to 24 or 25 and I feel I'm not going to go any higher then I can come home, have some money in the bank and go to work.

"But if I feel I'm moving up and I'm starting to get recognized, I can stay and keep going."

Dutra has a number of role models to follow, with Edmonton Tam's Nsaliwa at the front of the list. Nsaliwa has been a regular in the German leagues for the past three seasons, as has Julian de Guzman, a fellow member of Canada's World Cup team.

Dutra's journeys admittedly start out with a touch of homesickness, but those aches dissipate when it comes time to start kicking the ball around.

"It does get a little lonely, but for me, I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, what I love to do," said Dutra.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2004/07/06/527048.html

Guys, this is a terrible move for Dutra. He has nothing to gain from going to FC Schweinfurt. The team was relegated from Regionalliga Süd (Bundesliga-3) this year way down into the most lowest amateur divisions (Division-4) of the Bundesliga. I would think that the A-League is a much better competitive league than this Division-4. Dutra you are wasting your time. I would rather see you stay home with the Aviators.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys, this is a terrible move for Dutra. He has nothing to gain from going to FC Schweinfurt. The team was relegated from Regionalliga Süd (Bundesliga-3) this year way down into the most lowest amateur divisions (Division-4) of the Bundesliga. I would think that the A-League is a much better competitive league than this Division-4. Dutra you are wasting your time. I would rather see you stay home with the Aviators.

Perhaps you are right, Luis, but my suspicion is that getting into Germany can rarely be a bad thing, even if it is at a lower level. The Germans develop very strong technical players, and Dutra will do well to plug away and learn as much as he can. Let's be honest, he'll probably get a fairer shake than what he was getting in Croatia. In Germany he will have every opportunity to show his quality, and will not have to battle Croatian nationalism just to get on the damned field. If he does well, then he will reap the rewards. If he does not move up, then he can always come home to play in the A-league. The sky ain't falling, Henny Penny.

FC Schweinfurt beat 1860 Muenchen 2-1 on the weekend. No Cdns in action in that one. Nik Ledgerwood is with the U23 1860 Muenchen team and they have had a couple of exhibitions already, losing 1-0 today to a local team. I should have more on Nik later.

You'd rather see him stay home and play for a team who's owners are the biggest morons you've ever seen? That says a lot about what you think about FC Schweinfurt.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

If you are going to come on board this forum just to take a cheap shot at me, then that's fine by me. But you still haven't answer my question: what Division in the Oberliga (Bundesliga-4) is FC Schweinfurt playing-in????

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

You'd rather see him stay home and play for a team who's owners are the biggest morons you've ever seen? That says a lot about what you think about FC Schweinfurt.

Blair

• 3 weeks later...

According to Fußball Transfermarkt, it now appears that Waldemar Dutra has successfully impress during his trial, and that he is now a member of FC Schweinfurt 1905 of the Oberliga - Bayern Division (Division 3).

Here's the direct site, but the details of his contract are very vague at the moment. It appears that he has made the team, for his name was NOT</u> listed there last week:

http://www.transfermarkt.de/index.html?anz=/vereine/00_m.php4?verein_id=103

Schweinfurt is expected to kick-off the season with SpVgg Greuther Fürth on August 4/2004.

Hi,

I'am supporter of the 1. FC Schweinfurt 1905, I operate the fan page www.schnuedelseite.de.

After not receiving the license for the Regionalliga because of commercial issues, the team starts in the Oberliga Bayern called Bayernliga.

To the history of the club:

Founded 05/05/1905

Until the foundation of the Bundesliga 1963 the 1. FC Schweinfurt 1905 played in the existing highest league of Germany.

The Regionalliga was the second highest league in Germany until the 2nd Bundesliga was founded 1975.

Biggest success:

Champion of the Regionalliga Division South 1966

1975 finishing the season of the 2nd Bundesliga as third.

Then the bad times of the Club started.

In the next season the club went down in the Bayernliga (3rd league at this time).

In the 80's the club made two seasons in the 4th league (Landesliga).

But 1989/90 they won the Bayernliga and ascend to the 2nd Bundesliga.

But the coach Werner Lorant and the best player Bernhard Winkler left and so the visit in the 2nd league last only one year.

With growen debts the team played in the Bayernliga again. By founding the Regionalliga in the mid of the 90's Schweinfurt went down in the 4th league.

1998 they were champion of the Bayernliga and went up in the Regionalliga Division South.

It came better. 2001 Schweinfurt ascent as 3rd into the 2nd Bundesliga.

But again only for one year.

The debts grown to 1.8 Mio Euros. So the League Commission decided Schweinfurt has not the commercial condition to take part of the Regionalliga.

The Bayernliga Season 2004 / 2005

TSV Großbardorf, VfL Frohnlach, BCF Wolfratshausen, SC Fürstenfeldbruck,

1. FC Passau, Greuther Fürth Am., SpVgg Ansbach, SpVgg Bayreuth, SpVgg Weiden,

1. FC Kötzting, FC Memmingen, SpVgg Unterhaching Am., FC Ismaning, TSV Aindling, SC 04 Schwabach, FC Ingolstadt 04, 1. FC Nürnberg Am., Jahn Regensburg II.

Schweinfurt was free from play at the first gameday this weekend.

Because I live now in Detroit I only saw one pre season game in July when I was on a visit in Schweinfurt.

So my informations are based only on phone calls with friends and whats available in the internet.

Now my questions:

For my team roster I need some informations about Waldemar.

Date of birth, teams he played for.

There is an other player called Ryan Thompson coming from the canadian Kratky-Connection playing now for Schweinfurt. Do you know him?

What do you know about Michael Kratky? His company is called World Wide Soccer. Have you heard about this company?

Thanks and if you want I can give you here a brief update every week on Waldemar and the 1. FC Schweinfurt 1905.

Best regards

Castro

Thanks Castro.

I will start, I am sure others will add to my answers.

Waldemir Dutra was born in 1983. His professional career, in Canada, started with Calgary Storm in the A-League in 2002. He then caught on briefly with Osijek in Croatia in 2003, during which time he was a member of Canada's U20s in UAE. This was the team that advanced to the quarter finals, but lost to Spain by golden goal. I cannot remember if Dutra saw the field in UAE, he may have played a few minutes in the opening round.

This is the first we had heard about Ryan Thompson in a while. Last we heard, he was playing with Hajduk Split in Croatia. Prior to then, he was playing in Ontario, in the CPSL (Hamilton Thunder?).

Please keep us informed as to both Waldo & Ryan's progress at the club. I am sure others can and will add to this.

Wow!!!!!!!! Ryan Thompson has now teamed-up with Dutra at FC Schweinfurt. This is indeed a huge surprise to me. I was under the impression that he was still in Croatia.

About Michael Kratky, I do know that he has an office in Munich. I got reason to belive that he may be Canadian. He has delt so much with Canadian talent.

Sorry, things changed.

Ryan is no longer part of the team.

He is now practicing at Rot-Weiss Essen to get a contract there. That is a team of the 2nd Bundesliga. As a former part of the youth national team he looked for a bigger challenge than 4th league.

So it is.

The clubs don't have so much money as five years ago. He will have a hard time to get a contract. Because of reducing the number of players per team there are a lot of players out without a contract.

In a friendly game Schweinfurt lost 0 : 4 against the french first league club OGC Nizza. Waldo played only the second half.

• 2 weeks later...

So the 4th game day takes place tomorrow and Waldo has still no license to play for Schweinfurt in official league game.

His former club Osijek insists on fulfillment of his contract there.

Furthermore his situation is unclear.

quote:Originally posted by Castro

So the 4th game day takes place tomorrow and Waldo has still no license to play for Schweinfurt in official league game.

His former club Osijek insists on fulfillment of his contract there.

Furthermore his situation is unclear.

Castro, that is really strange to believe. If knowing well that he still had commitments with his old club Osijek (or should I say, still capped with the old club), why did he signed with a German club in the first place??? Obviously Osijek will not release him until Schweinfurt pays Osijek the remains of the termination of his contract.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know this adress but I can confirm that Waldo has now received the license to play for Schweinfurt. My sister told me she heard it in the news of a local radio station and a local news paper reports it too.

Also Alen Marcina and John Jr. Castrillon have a contract and the players license now.

Next game is on Saturday. Schweinfurt has not lost one of his five games up to now.

Best regards

Castro

Archived