Toronto MLS expansion/Canadian League

MC

Hello soccer fans. Its good to know that there are soccer fans in Canada that not only follow the international scene but also the domestic scene.

I know the subject can actually be two different threads but relevant nonetheless. First off, I've always wanted Canada to have a structured league (Div. 1, 2, etc). Since the demise of the CSL in 1992 the concept of a national league has been in the air. As you see in Europe, it would be nice to have a league (eg. "Premier League") that would consist of "big market" teams/cities (egs. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc.) and "smaller markets" teams (eg. Windsor, Kelowna, St. John's, etc). With semi-pro clubs from the CPSL and other provincial/regional leagues merging with newly-formed clubs it would generate a truly national league that (hopefully) people can identify with.

On the other hand, since the prospects of a national league being formed seem unlikely I would love Toronto (and other Canadian cities follow suite) to participate in the MLS. Obviously, yopu can only have one wish, right? well, if Toronto does ever land an MLS franchise

and a Canadian league is formed why not be involved on both fronts. For eg., we can have a "B" team competing in the national league. There would be logistical implications to be dealt with (costs, scheduling, etc).

Anyways, hope to hear responses from anyone (I'll take in the good and bad). Take care.

PS By the way, we should start a thread with possible names, team colors for a future Toronto expansion team. There is no way, we can enter the league with "Lynx" being our club name. No offence to fans or the club but that image is --------.

There's no way an MLS expansion team in Toronto would have anything to do with the Lynx, so no worries there. Call them the Blizzard and have some tradition.

If there ever was a division 1 Canadian league (and there never will be) I doubt Toronto would enter another team in that circuit, there'd be no point, nobody would support them.

Lots of people in the city still have fond memories of the Blizzard (there are still many people who think they were Toronto's last pro soccer team, totally unaware of the Lynx), if they could get the rights to Blizzard name it would be great for them to use that. Failing that, the Metros.

There's no way MLS will allow a potential Toronto team to be called the Metros while the NY/NJ MetroStars (aka the Metros) are around.

This isn't the CFL we're talking about ;)

Archived