May 15 - Edmonton Aviators at Minnesota (R)

Edmonton Aviators lose 2-0 to the Minnesota Thunder in A-League soccer

posted May 15 @ 22:30, EST

EDMONTON (CP) - The Minnesota Thunder handed the Edmonton Aviators their first A-League soccer loss Saturday.

The Thunder scored goals in both halves en route to a 2-0 victory. The loss dropped Edmonton's record to 0-1-2.

Rookie goaltender Nick Stankov made his debut for the Aviators as did forward Sipho Sibiya.

"We worked hard tonight, however I think what this game showed us is that we still have a lot of work to do in order to be a top team in this league," said Edmonton coach Ross Ongaro.

Edmonton will play its next game on the road, taking on the Calgary Mustangs on May 28. The Aviators will face Minnesota on May 30 in their home opener at Commonwealth Stadium.

Still can't believe starting your 1st season with five(?) matchs on the road. That's harsh. Coming home to Commonwealth with a few points though, so no matter the result in Calgary they'll have taken something from this initial road tour.

I'm going to guess the groundskeeper at Commonwealth said no bloody way are your spikes on my green before May 30th. Just a guess.

Archived