Elliott Godfrey released by Watford

I'm sad to say that Elliott Godfrey has been released from Watford, after five years of service with the club.

Good on him for going out with such a bang, scoring four goals in his last match with Watford Reserves. Hopefully it will be a foot in the door to his next club.

You can listen to his audio interview here: http://world.watfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/asx/secureAsx.asp?path=%2F%5Fcache%2Fcannon%2FlatestNews%2F10400%2F355%2Fdefault%5Fmedia%2Easx

Interviewer: What a night. We can't go through all the chances, because we'd be here all night. It was a great game.

Elliott Godfrey: It was a great game. You know, the lads battled hard, and it was a tough game, Boreham Wood've done very well, and at their ground it was a good result.

I: What did [manager] Nige say at half-time, because it was one chance, one goal for them, and we just couldn't force it in.

EG: We know just how we've gotta keep playing and, you know, just stay confident and not get down cause we're 1-nil down, just everything will come, so carried on, just battled in, played some good stuff and got the goals we needed.

I: Little bit of sadness for you, you being told you're released and you wear that shirt with pride, didn't you?

EG: Ah definately, you know, it's probably gonna be my last game now, because the game tomorrow against Millwall, so probably the lads who don't play are playing that, so I won't play on Wednesday. So yeah, it was a good day for me, and I finished five years here with some good goals, I was happy.

I: You and Sam Swonnell sort of seemed best of mates, really, on the pitch, and you've probably been in the same year all the way through, haven't you?

EG: Yeah, we've been through together everything together, me and Sammy and I. Played in the Rezzies together for... for, I don't know how many years. It's good actually, we've come back for ...[mumble]... Chris somewhere else.

I: What do you think of the game overall, I mean it's an exciting match, wasn't it, for those who were here.

EG: Yeah, you know, the fans were good (laugh), they was all there, and the game was bit end to end as well, so it was an exciting game to play, it was a good game to play, didn't get nasty at all, it was good.

I: Peak of the goals, the last one?

EG: Yeah, definately, little alright for an outside of the foot finish. Could have taken Fisken's one 'ere off my face, I could say that one, but definately the last one will do. My best goal.

Sad to see Godfrey released, thought Watford might give him a shot but this could be a blessing in disguise. Maybe a second division team will take notice of him and he can establish himself playing first team football, and who knows, may even be another Iain Hume in the making. Might be a good replacement for Hume at Tranmere if the rumors are true and he is being sold to the Premiership. As far as where Hume will be traded to, well The Bolton Rumor is logical seing as how Hume knocked them out of the FA cup with his winning goal. Birmingham could be a possibility, Karren Brady always on the look out for talent and keeping tabs on him with her canadian connection. Southampton is also logical considering Paul Sturrock came form managing Plymouth in Division 2 so he will know fist hand what Hume can do.

So all these teams have connections or dealings with Hume in some way and would all make sense in making a move for him. Hopefully there is a definite move immenint, would be a shame if Hume had just fallen out of favour, but I doubt very much that is the case.

quote:Originally posted by Peschfan

Sad to see Godfrey released, thought Watford might give him a shot....

They decided to promote French striker Hameur Bouazza from the Reserves to the first team, so there was little room for Godfrey to move up after that.

Watford already have numerous strikers, so as you say, perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.

quote:Originally posted by Peschfan

Southampton is also logical considering Paul Sturrock came form managing Plymouth in Division 2 so he will know fist hand what Hume can do.

This might be the biggest stretch considering they have an in-form Kevin Phillips, James Beattie, Brett Ormerod, Marian Pahars not to mention Agustin Delgado (albiet likely on his way out). Although Sturrock has given more than his fair share of Canucks a chance.

Photos from the Herts Senior Cup Final (Boreham Wood 2-4 Watford Reserves, AET):

0,,10400~352129,00.jpg

Striker Elliott Godfrey fires home the decisive fourth goal in extra time

0,,10400~352133,00.jpg

The lads celebrate their 4-2 extra time success with boss Nigel Gibbs [Godfrey is front row, second from right, with only his head showing

0,,10400~352130,00.jpg

Captain Sam Swonnell [Godfrey's best mate] is all smiles as he lifts the trophy

There is always a club around interested in young talent. Playing in the Barclaycard Premier Reserve league certainly doesnt hurt. With his strong performances in the reserves some scout must have stood up and taken note. He will probably have to get a few trials with Division 2 or 3 clubs and just establish himself playing first team football. Hopefully everything works out for him.

Hornets to let young trio go

http://www.thisishertfordshire.co.uk/sport/sportwatford/display.var.479246.0.hornets_to_let_young_trio_go.php

By Oliver Phillips

WATFORD have told three young professionals their contracts will not be renewed. Sam Swonnell, Elliott Godfrey and keeper Steve Graham will not be retained.

"I think it was only fair to tell them sooner rather than later. The budget means we are not going to be able to re-sign many. In such a situation, we need to go for the more experienced ones," said Ray Lewington, who worked with the young players when he was reserve-team manager under Luca Vialli.

"I worked with Sammy and Elliott and, throughout their time, their application has been good. They have been model young professionals, good, nice kids and you willed them to do well," admitted the manager.

"But they have not been able to force their way in. Both have talent but I just feel there are one or two above them in the pecking order."

RAY'S TRIBUTE TO DEPARTING DUO

WatfordFC.co.uk

0,,10400~352746,00.jpg

Elliottt Godfrey and Sam Swonnell made their final appearances in a Watford shirt this week - and both signed off in style.

They have been told their contracts will not be renewed in the summer after being at the club since their school days and received glowing tributes from manager Ray Lewington.

Striker Elliott, 21, scored all four goals in the Reserves' Herts Senior Cup success over Boreham Wood on Monday, while midfielder Sam, 22, lifted the cup as captain and then came on at halftime on Wednesday against Southampton and scored the second goal 10 minutes later in the Reserves' 2-0 win.

"Being a manager is not always as great as some people think," said Ray. "Getting abuse from the fans, pressure and things like that all pale into insignificance when you have to tell young players that they haven't got a career at your club. It's one of the toughest jobs a manager has."

Both players came through the Academy ranks and played key roles in helping Nigel Gibbs' side to the Premiership Reserve League crown last season with Sam as captain.

"It was particularly tough telling Sam and Elliott," admitted Ray. "When I first came here they were in my squad as reserve team manager and they were top lads and really gave it everything."

• 15 years later...