ATTN: Canadian pub in London, plus help needed

Guest Gooner

Guest Gooner

Hello people, i am going to your wonderful country in April, i'm wondering whether any of you know of a decent pub in Vancouver and then Toronto which shows english games live or recorded?, i'd prefer one which has alot of english ex pats if thats possible:)

If any of you canucks come to london there's a "canadian pub" here;

CALLED

The Maple Leaf

ADDRESS:

41 Maiden Lane,

London,

WC2E7LJ

NEAREST TUBE/UNDERGROUND

Covent Garden

Cheers for any advice given[^]

There are many pubs in Toronto that show EPL games live on Saturdays, but one in particular is called Scallywags (just outside the St.Clair subway - ie. underground/tube - station). This used to be the meeting place of Toronto's Man Utd. fans but they got kicked out of there, so its another nice bonus if you are an Arsenal fan. :)

Assume you're an Arsenal fan. Here's some Vancouver-related info for you.

There are lots of EPL games shown live out here. On any given weekend, as many as 5 of the 10 EPL games are on live TV -- 2 on Rogers SportsNet (Saturday, regular cable); 2 on Fox SportsWorld Canada (Sunday, digital cable); 1 on Monday (FSWC). What you need to keep in mind is the time difference -- both between Canada and England, and within Canada itself. (There's a 3-hour difference between Toronto and Vancouver; when it's 10 a.m. there, it's 7 a.m. here.)

What that means is the Saturday EPL games that are shown live in Vancouver come on extremely early. Today, for example, Birmingham-Leeds was on at 5 a.m., followed by Chelsea-Wolves at 7 a.m. Tomorrow (Sunday), it's Bolton-Newcastle at 5 a.m., then Arsenal-Man U at 7 a.m. As a result, you're probably better off finding a TV (and not a pub) to see these games live.

Weekday games being shown live in Vancouver, however, usually are on at a more reasonable hour -- 11:30 a.m. or noon. They often include a Monday EPL game (if there is one scheduled), as well as selected UEFA Cup and Champions League games (this week we saw Arsenal-Chelsea live at 11:45 a.m.; Celtic-Barcelona live the next day at noon).

Here's a link to a list of soccer-friendly bars in Canada. (Maybe some Vancouver folks on this board have some additional ideas.) You could call the appropriate places to check if they're open that early or if they're showing replays:

http://seattlepitch.tripod.com/publist/canada.htm

Also, here's a regularly updated link that tells you what soccer is available on TV in British Columbia (the province where, as I'm sure you know, Vancouver is located). You can see the Arse-Man U FA Cup semi next week is scheduled for a godawful hour, too:

http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/tv_guide.htm

Enjoy your time in Canada. Cheers.

The Duke of Gloucester on Yonge St. south of Bloor shows a number of matches each week and sees a good turnout for matches not on basic cable (read: Sportsnet/TSN) or for European matches. Added bonus is it's closer to the downtown than Scallys. It's also home to official Rangers and Liverpool clubs and is an Arsenal fans gathering place, though fans of almost every club bar ManU frequent the pub.

Guest Gooner

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

If you see a big english fella going off his head celebrating as The Arsenal go through to the Champions league semi final, that'll be me.;) probably be in canada till mid April.

Cheers for the advice Loud mouth soup, BC supporter and Gian-Luca.

quote:Originally posted by Gooner

If you see a big english fella going off his head celebrating as The Arsenal go through to the Champions league semi final, that'll be me.;)

Well, me too. Except for the big English fella bit.

Another nice spot on Saturday mornings/afternoons is Betty's on King Street East in Toronto. I've watched Arsenal there before - plus the food and pints are awesome.

Archived