This is football: Spanish Cup final [R]

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

I realized watching the game being played so close to where I live that i could hear the crowd after goals, that I hadn't enjoyed a single game final in a long time. What a difference, no comparison with home and away series, where there is so much speculation on the away goals rule that it takes the pure drive out of many games.

Zaragoza has been playing well since Victor Muñoz, a former player of that side and Barça, took over as coach. They have a wonderful midfielder in Movilla, ex At. Madrid, plus strikers Villa and Galletti. The central defence was excellent, featuring Argentine Milito, who Real Madrid rejected for physical reasons in the pre-season (he has been perfectly healthy all year).

A game played intensely, attacking, challenging the defenders on both ends, with a lot of hard fouls and cards, with Zaragoza down to 10 men in m. 67 and Guti going out in the last minute of reg time for Madrid. After a fine Beckham free kick, the "maños" came back and Dani, ex-Barça, scored after controlling a cross in the box. A penalty that was clear gave Zaragoza the lead (Villa), but Roberto Carlos nailed a very long hard free kick to tie it and go into extra time. Galletti then hit a long shot that was going out, bounced and slightly altered direction to sneak past Cesar (in the nets for the Cup, Casillas on the bench). A fine game and I of course am very glad to see Madrid fall, in spite of a certain soft spot for them this week after the horrible attacks of last Thursday. Had a long talk with a Madrid supporter on the bus today, normally I would just ignore them, I can't stomach them. But they deserve a bit of humanity this week -all this easier if el Real loses though.

Great game... glad I missed Celtic and Liverpool (both had league games) to watch this. Couldn't understand Forrest's comments after the Sportsnet broadcast though. Not played with a high degree of technical skill? Sure Madrid weren't at their best but what game was he watching? Some of the individual moves, ball control, passing, and shooting was breathtaking. Great saves by the Zaragoza keeper (3 times!) on Zidane as well. This game had it all: passion, skill, drama, extra-time, and even a deserved win by the underdog.

Mike.

®

I can't beleive Craig said that, he usually is a very astute observer and commentator in my opinion. Probably, he is a fan of English long ball (I'm not being perjorative, it is also beautiful in its own way when done right).

As I said on the "diving" thread, I think, IMHO, it was the match of the year so far, with the great possession and passing game, it was a clinic in useful backpassing. The relative lack of interest in Italy over the years so far can be mainly attributed to the two-leg final (it is especially unfortunate this year, with the second leg of todays final not occuring for two months, May 12, with one side leadfing 2-0: a still-born match).

I wouldn't blame the away goals rule for the lack of drive and speculation in the two-leg series. IMO, before they brought it in, the usual tactic was for the visiting team to hunker down defensively to frustrate the home team and crowd, and the development of the away goal has really helped to even up the tempo.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Had a long talk with a Madrid supporter on the bus today, normally I would just ignore them, I can't stomach them. But they deserve a bit of humanity this week -all this easier if el Real loses though.

Hmmm.. that's funny cuz, as much as I hate Real Madrid, I always found their fans to be the best and coolest people around. At least compared to fans of any other giant-club (possible exception might be Barcelona fans). Inter Milan and Man Utd fans I would rate the most annoying! ... But maybe Real Madrid fans living outside Spain act different than the ones still living in Spain!?

---

I think the Coppa Italia final is 2-legs mainly for security reasons (imagine 50,000 Milan fans and 40,000 Roma fans travelling to, say, Turin for a one-leg final).

Archived