Swiatek Honoured in Calgary

Guest Ed

Taryn Swiatek was named Calgary's female athlete of the year last night. Congratulations. Perhaps someone from the CSA coaching staff would like to comment.

Here's the Calgary Herald story:

Soccer goaltending star Taryn Swiatek and perennial speed skating great Jeremy Wotherspoon have been named Calgary's male and female athletes of the year.

"They brought the biggest honour to the city of all the athletes in Calgary," said Leon Nellison, president of the Calgary Booster Club, which administrates the awards.

Born and raised in Calgary, Swiatek helped make women's soccer one of the fastest growing sports in Canada as she and the national women's team surprised the world by winning silver in a 2-1 overtime final loss to Brazil at the Pan American Games in the Dominican Republic last July. A few months later, the former University of Calgary Dino helped her team prove Canada has arrived on the international soccer scene, as Canada nearly upset soccer powerhouse Sweden in the FIFA World Cup and finished a respectable fourth.

In recognition of the 23-year-old's standout performances, including two shutouts in 2003, local media voters made Swiatek the first soccer player to be given the Henry Viney Trophy as Calgary's female athlete of the year in the award's 18-year history.

"These accomplishments I'm being recognized for are the accomplishments of Canadian women's soccer teams I played on last year," said Swiatek.

Swiatek was almost as surprised when informed she was the award winner as she was when she returned from the World Cup.

"At the World Cup we were pretty sheltered, so I didn't know how much Calgary and Canada were behind us," said Swiatek. "The support was overwhelming."

Swiatek will soon return to the W League's Ottawa Fury for another season, or play for a professional team in Europe.

Wotherspoon was chosen by Calgary media as the winner of the 47th annual Scott Mamini Memorial Award after another stellar year on the international long-track speed skating circuit in 2003. He almost went undefeated all season and broke an outdoor World Cup 500 metres record at Inzell, Germany, on his way to becoming the World Cup 500m champion.

Just 27, Wotherspoon is the only speedskater to be named Calgary's top male athlete. And he's done it twice, earning the honour in 2000. The skater from Red Deer thanked his parents, his coaches, his teammates and Olympic Oval staff for helping him to continue improving after several years on top of the speed skating world.

"I'm still eager and I definitely have a lot more to show," said Wotherspoon. "There's always little things I notice I can improve on . . . It's hard to be motivated every day, but the other guys I skate with will push me on those days."

Wotherspoon will rest for a month before resuming his training for next season.

Gymnast Kyle Shewfelt finished a close second in balloting for the male award. Other men who earned votes were Calgary Stampeders defensive lineman Joe Fleming, international soccer star Owen Hargreaves, national team bobsled driver Pierre Lueders, National Hockey League forward Dany Heatley, national team skeleton athlete Jeff Pain and Major League Baseball player Chris Reitsma.

Long-track speed skater Cindy Klassen was second in balloting for the female award. Other women who earned votes were University of Calgary Dinos volleyball player Amanda Moppett, golfer Lisa Vlooswyk, national team skeleton athlete Michelle Kelly, and Team Canada hockey player Hayley Wickenheiser.

Another feather in the cap of Calgary minor soccer, they seem to have been very successful in producing soccer players. Kudos to all in Calgary involved in any way, this is also an award for the coaches, trainers, and parents who worked so hard with the kids over the years!

And the successful stars are just the tip of the iceberg, the rewards in myriad for the tens of thousands over the decades are also there.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Another feather in the cap of Calgary minor soccer, they seem to have been very successful in producing soccer players. Kudos to all in Calgary involved in any way, this is also an award for the coaches, trainers, and parents who worked so hard with the kids over the years!

And the successful stars are just the tip of the iceberg, the rewards in myriad for the tens of thousands over the decades are also there.

Agree. Calgary is very progresive in their youth programs. Congratulations to Taryn and all who contributed to her success.

Archived