Intriguing Possible Promotions to top-flights

amacpher

I was just checking the second-divisions around Europe to see if there are any teams who are looking good for promotion to the top-flight who could really add something to that top-flight league and/or would make a really good story. Feel free to add to this list...

Italy

Messina and Palermo (currently Palermo in first place, Messina in 5th only 5 points back of first):

Could be first Sicilian team(s) in serie A since ’83. Could have first Sicilian derby (?) in serie A since 1963-64 (Catania x Messina) as far as I can tell!? Messina has had only one season in serie A (1963/64) and in 1999/2000 they were playing in the 4th division!

Livorno (4th place):

Last time in serie A was 1948.

Spain

Levante (currently third):

Would create a Valencia derby in La Liga!

England

Reading (currently tied for last playoff spot):

Never been to top-flight!

Wigan (currently 3rd):

Never been to top-flight (albeit that's not saying much)! Plus another Manchester derby ... they are in Manchester, right?

Villareal is in "the Valencia Community" and less than 100 km up the coast, so Villareal-Valencia is like a derby.

Wigan is in Greater Manchester county/shire, as is Bolton, so would be 4 Manchester clubs, if Bolton and Manchester City continue to avoid the drop! Greater Manchester used to be part of Lancaster shire, which included the Liverpool area.

Germany

Energie Cottbus, a short autobahn ride from Berlin, should be promoted as they currently lead the Bundelsiga 2, which would be good if Hertha Berlin are demoted (I think it's a shame when a major world city doesn't have top flight football nearby). It's also good to see an old East German team in the top flight besides Rostock.

FC Nurnberg are second, which is good because Munich 1860 may go down and there would at least be a Bavarian state derby. Nurnberg

will also be a site for the WC 2006.

One of Oberhausen and Aachen, both in the crowded Nordrhein-Westfalen state should replace luckless Koln and any other of their state brothers that go down.

If Mainz climbs up from fifth, and Eintracht Frankfurt survive, that would be a derby of sorts.

France

Istres, an old French backcountry town 50 km from Marseilles, is first in the second division with a stadium of only 7,000, so will likely be an unlikely derby partner with Marseille, which has the largest club stadium in France.They have never been in the first division.

St. Etienne, the greatest club in French history, is second, and should have regional derbys with nearby Lyon Olympique. they have been absent from the first division since 1996.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

St. Etienne, the greatest club in French history, is second, and should have regional derbys with nearby Lyon Olympique. they have been absent from the first division since 1996.

St-Étienne were actually relegated after the 2000-2001 season because of a passport scandal.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I was just checking the second-divisions around Europe to see if there are any teams who are looking good for promotion to the top-flight who could really add something to that top-flight league and/or would make a really good story. Feel free to add to this list...

Levante (currently third):

Would create a Valencia derby in La Liga!

The only time Levante was in 1st division was in the 60s, I think for one year, maybe two. So this is a nice revival of a derby. I posted on BigSoccer about that a few months ago, will look for and refer the thread, as Levante is an interesting team.

Archived