Guatemala Suspension "Temporarily Lifted"

beachesl

from tailend of Reuters report:

FIFA's deputy general secretary Jerome Champagne added that FIFA had temporarily lifted the suspension imposed on Guatemala following governmental interference in the running of the Guatemalan FA last year.

The situation in the central American country would be reviewed when the executive committee met in Paris on May 17.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpYjk0aWtjBF9TAzk1ODYzNTkwBHNlYwN0aA--?slug=reu-fifa&prov=reuters&type=lgns

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

from tailend of Reuters report:

FIFA's deputy general secretary Jerome Champagne added that FIFA had temporarily lifted the suspension imposed on Guatemala following governmental interference in the running of the Guatemalan FA last year.

The situation in the central American country would be reviewed when the executive committee met in Paris on May 17.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpYjk0aWtjBF9TAzk1ODYzNTkwBHNlYwN0aA--?slug=reu-fifa&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Guatemala will be a formidable opponent. Although El Salvador is rated higher by some due to their appearances in the hex and at past WC's, I would say that ( judging from what I saw ) the Guatemala is more formidable as a potential semi-final opponent right now. Thats why i fear, even more the WCQ draw that Canada was given. I saw (on TV) the US play Guatemala in Guatemala during the last WCQ. I thought that the US were very lucky to escape without a loss. Then, I sat and watched the US play ES at the gold cup after can-CRC. At the GC I saw a very weak ES team. They did not impress me one bit and I honnestly thought that Canada put in a much better showing versus the US in the past years than what I saw from ES on that day.

More details from FIFA news release just posted:

http://www.fifa.com/en/display/mrel,74392.html

excerpt

"The Executive Committee also ratified the Emergency Committee’s decision on 9 January 2004 to suspend the association of Guatemala. However, at the same time, it temporarily lifted the suspension and will revert to the matter at its next meeting in Paris on 17 May. In this connection, it was also decided that FIFA and CONCACAF should recognise only José Mauricio Caballeros, the President of Fedefut, as the person responsible for the association’s international affairs. The sphere of responsibility will include the Guatemala national team’s participation in international competitions, particularly the FIFA World Cup™, the participation of Guatemalan club teams in CONCACAF’s club competitions, managing financial aid from FIFA, issuing international transfer certificates etc. The Executive Committee also resolved to appoint three members who will oversee continuity in the management of Guatemala’s national football affairs alongside the General Secretary of Fedefut elected in September 2003."

Looks like FIFA really want Guatemala to take part in WCQ's.

Archived