Canadians abroad: February 27 - March 4, 2004

DJT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar was subbed on for the last half hour as Benfica hung on to knock Rosenborg out of the UEFA Cup, in the away match played in Trondheim. Benfica, who had won 1-0 at home, went throught on away goals as Nuno Gomes got one back after the Norwegians went up 2-0 early. The 2-1 was enough even though Gomes was ejected before the break and Benfica had to fight off the aerial onslaught for the whole 2nd half.

UEFA draw is coming up in a few hours, Benfica is not seeded so could end up with a tough nut. But not Barça, I am hoping we see them in semi-finals. I went to Barça-Brondby last night, we really coasted through after winning 0-1 there, 2-0 at the half here and they got a late one to make their rowdy supporters happy. Brondby is worse than any team in Spanish first division, but their keeper had a fortunate night and our strikers were a bit lax.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar was subbed on for the last half hour as Benfica hung on to knock Rosenborg out of the UEFA Cup, in the away match played in Trondheim. Benfica, who had won 1-0 at home, went throught on away goals as Nuno Gomes got one back after the Norwegians went up 2-0 early. The 2-1 was enough even though Gomes was ejected before the break and Benfica had to fight off the aerial onslaught for the whole 2nd half.

UEFA draw is coming up in a few hours, Benfica is not seeded so could end up with a tough nut. But not Barça, I am hoping we see them in semi-finals. I went to Barça-Brondby last night, we really coasted through after winning 0-1 there, 2-0 at the half here and they got a late one to make their rowdy supporters happy. Brondby is worse than any team in Spanish first division, but their keeper had a fortunate night and our strikers were a bit lax.

Guest Can. in UK

Just a couple of quick notes:

De Rosario scored for San Jose the finals of that tournament in Spain, but the Quakes lost in penalty shoot-outs.

More importantly... Edgar Bartolomew was waived by the MetroStars Tuesday and will be made available in the upcoming MLS Waiver Draft, to be conducted on Thursday.

Guest Jeffery S.

Imhof played 90 to no avail as St. Gallen was upset at home by modest Wil, 1-2. The home team's goal only came in the final minutes. Bad loss for a team whose only chance at champagne and song this season was the Cup final, to be played early April.

Archived