Interwiews with Pesch and Hume

Peschfan

givemefootball catches up with Pesch to talk about his hat trick his role with the club and his international plans.

Can be found at

http://www.givemefootball.com/interviews.html?interviewID=698&method=full

Paul Peschisolido - Sheffield United

It was a great weekend for Sheffield United's 'Dad's Army' brigade as 32-year-old Paul Peschisolido and 35-year-old Wayne Allison tore Gillingham to shreds last Saturday. The diminutive Canadian helped himself to a hat-trick as the Blades won 3-0 to move onto the shoulders of West Brom in second place. The duo have spent a large portion of the campaign on the bench as Neil Warnock has persisted with younger options but they proved that there was plenty of life left in the old dogs yet with vintage displays to keep United's promotion bandwagon bubbling along nicely. Ian Clarkson caught up with Peschisolido to discuss his three-card trick and whether this could well be the year they return to the Premiership in another givemefootball EXCLUSIVE.

Q TALK ME THROUGH YOUR THREE GOALS AGAINST GILLINGHAM?

A They weren't bad although a lot of the credit must go to my partner in crime, Wayne Allison, for at least two of them. The first goal was route one as he won a flick on and I latched onto it and scored. The second goal was after another header by Wayne and the final one was a header from myself - for a small bloke I'm not too bad in the air!

Q YOU OBVIOUSLY ENJOY PLAYING WITH WAYNE THEN?

A We always play pretty well together even though most of our appearances in tandem have been for about ten minutes off the substitutes bench this season! I always seem to read his flicks quite well and it paid off at Gillingham. It is probably the oldest strike force in the league as he is approaching 53 and I'm not far behind him! However, we get on well off the park too and he is a really nice lad.

Q THE SEASON HAS BEEN A LITTLE BIT STOP-START FOR YOU SO FAR HASN'T IT?

A I am just happy to get a good run of games as I have only started about six this term and managed to score in four of them. t has been a little bit frustrating for me but hopefully scoring a hat-trick will keep me in the team, although I have scored two goals and been dropped before so I am not counting my chickens.

Q PROMOTION IS STILL THE AMBITION AFTER LAST YEAR'S NEAR MISS THOUGH ISN'T IT?

A We are still on course as it was heartbreaking last season. We also want to go up automatically as losing in the play-off final is the worst feeling ever. I think our season ended on May 26th last year, which meant it was a dismal three weeks before we started back training again.

Q EVEN THOUGH IT ULTIMATELY ENDED IN DISAPPOINTMENT, DID YOU ENJOY LAST SEASON'S EXPLOITS - NOTABLY IN THE CUPS?

A Definitely. It was the most exciting season of my career so far. We reached two semi-finals in two major tournaments and ran both Liverpool and Arsenal close as well as producing a great comeback in the play off semi-final against Nottingham Forest. Even though it hurt at the end I will always remember last season fondly.

Q HOW MUCH OF A BLOW TO THE CLUB WAS THE LOSS OF MICHAEL BROWN TO SPURS IN THE TRANSFER WINDOW?

A It was obviously a big blow, but we have a prodigious amount of young talent at this club and it will give somebody else a chance to come in and fill his shoes. Obviously you don't want to lose a player of his quality but Nick Montgomery is a great player and he has had to live in the shadow of Michael a little bit so this is a great opportunity to show us how good he is.

Q WHAT IS THE SITUATION WITH YOUR INTERNATIONAL CAREER AT PRESENT?

A It is back on! Frank Yallop has taken charge of the national team and I am in his plans and we have a World Cup qualifier against Belize. If we get through that then we will go into a group of about eight teams for the three qualifying places. Mexico and USA are usually nailed-on certainties to qualify from the CONCACAF region, which leaves us with one other space to go for. It isn't the strongest region in world football, but with a lot of British players appearing for countries like Jamaica then it has made it a tall order to try and qualify.

Q WHAT ABOUT THIS WEEKEND'S FIXTURE AGAINST WEST HAM?

A I am looking forward to the game and hopefully I will be playing. My dad is coming over from Canada for a couple of weeks so it would be really nice for him to see me play again. My contract is up at the end of the campaign so I need to keep playing to either earn myself a new deal or keep people aware of me.

givemefootballcatches up with Iain Hume to talk about his Fa Cup heroics

it can be found at...

http://www.givemefootball.com/interviews.html?interviewID=699

Iain Hume - Tranmere Rovers

It was a wonderful midweek for Tranmere Rovers and their Canadian international striker Iian Hume, who hit the winner to dump Premiership Bolton Wanderers out of the FA Cup. And to rub salt in the wound Rovers completed the job at the Reebok Stadium after drawing the first game at Prenton Park. Brian Beard spoke to Iain about the win and what lies ahead.

Q WHAT A GREAT NIGHT?

A Brilliant, as simple as that.

Q A MATCH WINNER NOW BUT YOU DID MISS A CHANCE TO WIN THE FIRST GAME?

A That's right, I did. There was about ten minutes to go at Prenton and I went through one-on-one with the keeper and basically I choked. It should have been a goal but I let it get to me and missed.

Q BUT NOT THIS TIME AND APART FROM REACHING THE NEXT ROUND TRANMERE WILL GET A CASH BOOST FROM THE REEBOK REPLAY?

A Exactly, so I guess I have done them a favour, in a way.

Q AFTER BOLTON SCORED IT WAS IMPORTANT TO STRIKE BACK IMMEDIATELY?

A Yes, it was pretty important that we didn't let our heads drop and we didn't and by scoring so early it gave us the advantage. That enabled us to concentrate on keeping the lead and trying the occasional counter-attack.

Q THERE WAS A BIT OF A FUSS THAT BOLTON DIDN`T PUT OUT THEIR FULL-STRENGTH SIDE BUT HOW DID THEIR SIDE COMPARE TO WHAT THEY PUT OUT IN THE FIRST GAME?

A It was pretty much the same team but, as I have said before, it was still a Premiership club. Reserves or not they are still supposedly top-class players. There were still a few familiar faces in their side, like Pedersen, Frandsen and Nolan and Kevin Poole, their keeper has played first team football all his career so it wasn't too weak a side.

Q IT DOESN'T DEMEAN YOUR ACHIEVEMENT IN ANY WAY, DOES IT?

A No, no matter what team you put out we are in the fourth round and Bolton are not, end of story.

Q YOU DIDN'T REALLY GET INTO IT UNTIL THE SECOND HALF AND BEYOND, IS THAT FAIR COMMENT?

A Yes, in the first half I stayed out wide and never really got myself involved but I think after the interval I started to want the ball a bit more and getting at them and causing them a few problems and then I managed to cap it all by scoring in extra-time and that topped up my game.

Q AS A YOUNG PLAYER HOW MUCH OF A BOOST WAS IT TO NOT ONLY PLAY AGAINST A PREMIERSHIP TEAM BUT AT A PREMIERSHIP GROUND AND PLAY WELL OVER TWO GAMES?

A It's the type of atmosphere you want to put yourself in, playing against a Premiership team because of their status. It's good for young players like myself and other lads in the team to play against such good opposition and to put in such good performances over the two games. Hopefully we can all keep playing like that.

Q AND SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE OPPOSITION IN THE NEXT ROUND, LUTON?

A Yes, we played them on television a few months ago and got beat 3-1 so we kind of owe them one so we are hoping we can go there and repeat our performance against Bolton and get through to the fifth round.

Guest Can. in UK

Sheffield United have handed experienced forward Paul Peschisolido a one-year contract extension.

The Canadian international was concerned about his future at Bramall Lane after failing to cement a regular place in the starting line-up.

Peschisolido is in his third season with The Blades but the majority of his appearances during that time have been as a substitute.

But he grabbed his chance in the starting XI against Gillingham last week by rattling in a hat-trick for Neil Warnock's side.

The Blades boss admits he wanted to reward the 32-year-old with the fresh deal to demonstrate he is a key member of his plans.

Warnock said: "This is not just a reward for last week, it's to let Paul know he's an important member of the squad."

Possible Competition for Pesch

Morris in talks with Blades

Derby striker Lee Morris has been granted permission to discuss personal terms with Sheffield United after the clubs settled on a fee.

United manager Neil Warnock had seen an initial offer of around £100,000 rejected by the Rams but an improved bid lodged over the weekend was accepted by the cash-strapped Pride Park club on Monday.

But a stipulation of the deal means the 23-year-old would be unavailable to play for the Blades against the Rams at Pride Park on 28 January.

And because he had featured for the Rams in Derby's 3-0 FA Cup exit at Ipswich, Morris would also be be ruled out of United's fourth-round meeting with Nottingham Forest on Sunday.

That would leave the Bramall Lane clash with Norwich on 31 January as the first available date on which Morris could pull on a Blades shirt.

Morris had cost Derby £3m from United in October 1999 and is out of contract at the end of the season.

Archived