Another Canadian Abroad! (Sergio De Luca)

Rood

Guest Jeffery S.

On a quick look through game reports this season, his name does not appear as having played. The reports are not all complete however. In one match they played vs. MTK, where neither Boskovic nor Servedio, listed in Canadians Abroad in Hungary as with them, appeared. Will have to look more for them on that team's site.

I think De Luca only played a few minutes in one game for the Lynx in the 2002 season, as he soon went off to play in Italy (for which teams, we have never found out). He seemed fairly quick & a little hot-tempered as he nearly got into a fight with an opposition players in the few minutes he was on the field. That's the extent of my knowledge about the guy.

Nice to see his name crop up again.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

he soon went off to play in Italy (for which teams, we have never found out).

It's listed on the site which Sigma posted above: AC Voltana (6th division).

Speaking of that site, for some stupid reason it lists all contact information. Bad idea.

Pasquale was also on the roster and flew down as injury coverage for Mexico 86 for game three (Waiters didn't have the entire team down there, not wanting lots of bench warmers potentially grumbling), but never saw action. I believe he became a high school teacher (and soccer coach). He was an Edmonton contribution to the national team, followed by Norm Odinga and now Lars and Tam. Can't think of any others from the City of Champions.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The mid-80's actually for Pasquale. He played for the NASL Blizzard & was a last-minute sub for Canada in the historic 2-1 victory Honduras that saw us qualify for the World Cup in 1985.

It is almost definite that De Luca will sign with first division Hungarian club. He played the first half of a friendly match today against a second division Hungarian team. If you can understand Hungarian there are details on the club website: www.pmfc.hu. I will continue to post more details as I found out more information.

Here's a clip on the De Luca story, coming straight from the club's website. Is there a Hungarian interpreter on this forum???

http://www.pmfc.hu./?id=276&PHPSESSID=fe6545c1410024704560db3b9e92bf63

"...Az elsõ félidõ a próbálgatásokkal telt. A próbajátékon a csapatnál lévõ Vranjes és De Luca játékával meg volt elégedve a vezetõedzõ, de a sorsukról a klub vezetése késõbb hoz döntést. A második félidõben a csapatunk végig mezõnyfölényben játszott, az utolsó 10 percben ez a fölény már a gólokat is meghozta.

Erõs Gábor jobboldali beadását Szabados József a hosszúba fejelte, míg néhány perccel késõbb ismét Erõs Gábor szenzációs passzából Horváth Gyula beállította a 2 gólos gyõzelmünket..."

De Luca is in the middle of negotiating a contract with Pesci. He is creating quite a fuss in Hungary. A Hungarian newspaper credited him as one of the best players on the field during a friendly match on Saturday. There are also other clubs interested in signing him in Portugal and Croatia. I have a decent translation of the Hungarian text above:

"The first half was full of trials and errors. The coach was satisfied with the two audition players (Vranjes & De Luca), but there will be a later decision whether thy will stay or not. On the second half, our team dominated the game, but in the last 10 minutes this domination could be seen on the score sheet as well.

Eros Gabor's cross from the right was headed into the top corner by Szabados Jozsef whilst a couple of minutes later Eros Gabor again made a sensational pass, and with that Horvath Gyula finished the attack, the game ended with a 2 goal victory"

Within the next couple of days we should hear something. The only issue at hand right now is negotiating a contact. The contact, if he signs, will be for 18 months. The club is supposed to make a final decision tomorrow. De Luca is already talking about getting himself in the starting 11. He seems confident that the team will sign him. However, you never really know in soccer. Anything could happen.

Archived