Any Match Coverage?

George

With regards to Olympic qualifier tv coverage, it would appear from this blurb I picked up on bigsoccer.com the Americans are getting shut out, so I unfortunately suspect that we will be as well.

OLYMPIC QUALIFYING Olympic qualifying games in the Concacaf region will not be televised in the United States. The games next month in Mexico (eight nations, including the United States, playing for two spots in the Athens Games) will be available only via closed circuit, which is picked up primarily in bars and restaurants that cater to Hispanic patrons. There was no response to e-mail messages sent to Concacaf officials seeking comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/13/s...cer/13SOCC.html

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

With regards to Olympic qualifier tv coverage, it would appear from this blurb I picked up on bigsoccer.com the Americans are getting shut out, so I unfortunately suspect that we will be as well.

OLYMPIC QUALIFYING Olympic qualifying games in the Concacaf region will not be televised in the United States. The games next month in Mexico (eight nations, including the United States, playing for two spots in the Athens Games) will be available only via closed circuit, which is picked up primarily in bars and restaurants that cater to Hispanic patrons. There was no response to e-mail messages sent to Concacaf officials seeking comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/13/s...cer/13SOCC.html

If I recall correctly that last olympic qualifying tourny was televised in Canada and I believe Sportsnet sent down their own crew. This was at the time that they were still a relatively new to soccer. Its gone downhill quite a bit ( as far as coverage) hasn't it. Don't know if US networks were their as well even though it was played in Hershey Pa. US networks appear to be equally brutal but at least they are consitent.

We've had at least some Olympic qualifiers televised in Canada for as long as I can remember......actually I can't recall if this was done for the 1984 Olympics (but at least then we saw them televise Canada'a matches at the Olympics). I can recall watching qualifiers on TV for the 1988, 1992, 1996 & 2000 Olympics, so if we get none this time around (especially when we've already have two matches held in Canada) this would be a major step back, IMO.

Archived