David Seaman retires

Alberto7

From BBC.co.uk/football

Seaman quits football

Man City agree James fee

Manchester City goalkeeper David Seaman has announced his retirement from football.

The former England international's decision came shortly after City revealed the club were in talks to sign West Ham goalkeeper David James.

Seaman, 40, joined City last summer, signing a one-year deal with the club, after having spent 13 years at Arsenal.

The goalkeeper won the last of his 75 international caps against Macedonia back in October 2002.

Seaman has suffered a recurring shoulder problem and was substituted after 13 minutes of Manchester City's Barclaycard Premiership defeat at Portsmouth on Saturday.

"I have reached this difficult decision after much discussion with my family and those in the game whose views I respect," he said.

"It has become clear to me that this type of injury will not quickly disappear - and I think now would be a good time to hang up my boots, rather than at the end of the season as planned."

Kevin Keegan added: "This has been a difficult decision for David - but I fully respect it.

"It says a lot about the man that he has been incredibly helpful to us as a club in finding a successor at such a testing personal time for him.

"His record is incredible and his achievements unbelievable but most importantly I will remember him as an ultimate professional who cared about others.

Seaman has played over 1,000 club and international matches.

His last game for Arsenal was May's FA Cup final when Arsene Wenger's side beat Southampton 1-0 with Seaman - captain for the day - making a stunning save in the match's closing stages.

I can't say that I ever liked him as a keeper but I certainly respect what he has done over the years with Arsenal and with England.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

I can't say that I ever liked him as a keeper but I certainly respect what he has done over the years with Arsenal and with England.

LOL...any more expressions of admiration for him and someone might suggest that your "nickname" ought to be changed from "7" to "Alberto VO5"

From an article on Soccernet.com

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=288550&cc=5901

"'It's disappointing that I had to finish earlier than I wanted to but overall I have had a great career.'

Seaman nominated his amazing one-handed save from Sheffield United's Paul Peschisolido in the FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford last April as the best of his career and Leeds' decision to show him the door as a 19-year-old as the worst moment."

Pesch gets props from Seaman!

Archived