Bircham Row? Sounds ridiculous!

Guest Can. in UK

Guest Can. in UK

Bircham in alleged shirt row - skysports

Tuesday, 16 December 2003

Queens Park Rangers midfielder Marc Bircham has reportedly landed himself in hot water with the Canadian FA after wearing a QPR shirt during two recent international friendlies.

The 25-year-old, who qualifies to play for Canada through his grandfather, has only returned to the international set-up this autumn following September's resignation of Holger Osieck as national team boss, having fallen out with the German coach in 2001 and refusing to play for his adopted nation.

The former Millwall man - a lifelong Rangers supporters - wore the shirt under his Canada jersey during recent friendly defeats in Finland and Republic of Ireland.

The wearing of the QPR shirt has reportedly annoyed the Canadian Soccer Association but Bircham insists he will continue to wear the shirt under his international jersey in future internationals.

"It's the club I play for, the club I have supported all my life and I'll always be wearing it under my Canada shirt," revealed Bircham.

Bircham and his Canadian team-mates will be waiting with interest on Tuesday's press conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, when it is expected that former Ipswich Town defender Frank Yallop will be announced as Osieck's replacement as the new manager of the Canadian national side.

Yallop recently led the San Jose Earthquakes to their second Major League Soccer title in three seasons in the United States last month.

Grow up for God's sake.

I wouldn't care what he wears under his Canada shirt. Whatever it is, I'll be happy to see it as many times as possible during WCQ. And the more the better. QPR shirt, tank top, red lace bra, whatever. Score a bunch, give us an eye full and we'll forgive you this self indulgence.

Of course, Mr. Bircham will have to make the squad or it's a moot point.

And oh yeah, don't get into a pissing contest with Sharpe. You'll not win.

I doubt there is much truth or significance to this story. This is the Sun after all, who are probably only more reliable than The News of the World as far as British tabloids go.

But I don't think Marc wants to wear that jersey underneath is Canadian one in the heat of Central American jungle next summer.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I wouldn't care what he wears under his Canada shirt. Whatever it is, I'll be happy to see it as many times as possible during WCQ.

But there is a FIFA rule governing what you can and can't wear, and I would interpret this rule to prohibit club jerseys.

Archived