Canadians in FIFA Player of Year Voting

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

The links are now on the FIFA page, think the article is at http://www.fifa.com/en/display/article,73590.html

Of course no male Canadians or even partially Canuck-men (that would be hermaphrodites or "Whores", ahem, 'scuse that) were voted for, but we were graciously considered on the ladies side. Charmaine Hooper got a first place vote, and a couple 2nd and 3rds, was around 12th overall. Christine Sinclair got a first place vote, and Ms. Latham got a third place vote. Check on who voted for them, quite surprising really: Sinclair got her vote from Mozambique, Hooper her first place vote from the Trinidad and Tobago coach, a 2nd place from Hong Kong, 3rds from Argentina and Germany. Latham was voted for by the Jamaica coach. Winner was Prinz, followed by the perennial Hamm and Ljungberg, then Svensson, lots more Germans like Meinert.

Men's side Zidane wins over Henry and Ronaldo, Ruud, Roberto Carlos and Nedved all high up. 6 of the first 11 are now Real Madrid players.

Colin Miller did the voting for us and chose Zidane, Ruud and Paul Scholes. Scholes is a fine player, got the odd other vote, but not really what you would say was a standout this season. Pellerud voted Prinz, Meinert, Svensson. I think Pellerud got a better look at women's football than Miller did men's this year, but at least Miller, as if under some strange influence, did NOT vote for Jari Litmannen.

scholes doesn't impact mufc!? are you NUTS? (mall rats reference!)

he scores in double digits every season. he scored 20 last year! you read the reports at 4thegame.com at the man united link and all the coaches and players name him as their missing link. other teams single him out as the danger man, not rvn. scholes is lethal, absolutely, if not pretty.

most dangerously consistent offensive midfielder in the game today.

Yeah, but voting for Scholes is still insane, regardless of what he's done with Man U. How, for example, would you say he's had a better year than Pavel Nedved? Led the Czechs to a first place finish over the Dutch in their qualifying group, helped lead Juve to the Serie A championship (if I don't have my years confused), led Juve over Real Madrid (including Ronaldo & Zidane, neither of whom deserved to win over Nedved) to the final in the Champions League & it was his absence in the Champions League final which hurt Juve the most & a major reason why they didn't win it.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yeah, but voting for Scholes is still insane, regardless of what he's done with Man U. How, for example, would you say he's had a better year than Pavel Nedved? Led the Czechs to a first place finish over the Dutch in their qualifying group, helped lead Juve to the Serie A championship (if I don't have my years confused), led Juve over Real Madrid (including Ronaldo & Zidane, neither of whom deserved to win over Nedved) to the final in the Champions League & it was his absence in the Champions League final which hurt Juve the most & a major reason why they didn't win it.

EXACTLY. You hit on the three or four points I was going to make about Nedved (though I might add, led the Czechs to a 21-match unbeaten streak (though some of those matches came in 2002)). He is the player of the year in my mind, no question. The fact that so many Real Madrid players finished near the top just shows how coaches from Tanzania, Nepal, Cook Islands and Dominica (I just picked those at random, I don't know who they specifically voted for) don't really know what's going on and are basically influenced by the over-exposure of that club and its players (I'm sure I've seen more of Nedved than they have, so what makes them better judges?). But, as I've said multiple times, Nedved is very underrated, so I'm not really surprised.

Anyway, should this discussion be moved to the General section? I know some people don't like to wade through all this non-Canadian content, but when the thread starts Canadian and meanders away I'm not sure what to do (unfortunately we can't move individual posts without re-posting --- are people okay with re-posting?).

Archived