Sportsnet will air Spain match live at 9.00am EST

snake

quote:Originally posted by snake

what i want to know is how much are the fifa payments to top teams at wc type fifa tourneys.i seem to recall that canada got five million for qualifying for world cup 1986.

I think F.I.F.A. ONLY makes payments to the senior teams. But I am probeley wrong. If I am please tell me.

Go Canada Go.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

I just thanked them for realizing the importance of this game has for the development of this beautiful sport in this great country.

Unfortunately, if we don't win I can't see how broadcasting this game will do much for the development of soccer in Canada (and even if we do win --- I'll get to that below). I doubt that very many people outside the hardcore fans will know that this game is on (I spoke to several people on Thursday night who are interested but none of them knew about it), and at 8 or 9 in the morning there aren't going to be too many people stopping by accidentally.

Besides the poor timeslot, the other big problem is that the previous matches were not shown. The women did so well on Sportsnet because viewers got to see them play a lot and win a lot, which created excitement and left viewers wanting more, which in turn was a benefit to Sportsnet and the future of women's broadcasts. This has not happened for the men. I think that it was essential to broadcast the Burkina Faso game because we had such a great chance at winning (unlike against Spain) and making history. By waiting until now, Sportsnet was late to react. The Spain broadcast is great for us fans, but not much beyond that.

If we upset Spain then much of what I wrote above could be irrelevant --- IF Sportsnet was to rebroadcast the match, and the remaining two, in a better timeslot!!! Otherwise average viewers (who made up the majority of the big WWC numbers) still wouldn't have seen the men's achievements. While there would still be hype going into the semifinals, it's not the same if people don't get to see it with their own eyes.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Would any pub be opened to show it at 7:00 am (or even a few hours later), if it is being showed at most homes free of charge, even if on a hours delay? Even Limericks wouldn't do this. It's not like it's on Setanta on and they can charge $20 to desperado footy fans (all power to them and other outfits like the Crown and Anchor, at least they offer it and take the risk).

Actaully, that $20 goes to Setanta. The bars that show the games don't get a cent of it. And since in most (maybe all?) of Canada they can't serve alcohol 'til late morning or afternoon, the bars really have no incentive to show soccer. That's why very few do (even for European domestic leagues and World Cup, etc) and those that do cannot survive on soccer alone (thus they turn into some stupid hockey bar or something by early afternoon).

One day someone has to explain to me how not serving alcohol during certain times of the day benefits anyone!? I'm pretty sure Canada is the only country on the planet who has such a ridiculous law (except maybe the Middle-East, but even there I'm guessing its not enforced as much. Plus they have other things besides alcohol [:P])!

Archived