YWC: Deciding games not happening simultaneously

Paddy

Hi,

I thought that after the farce in 1982 that 'ALL' final group games would be played simultaneous.

It is too early in the morning and I have not had enough coffee to figure out if this could hurt us, but FIFA has to make up its mind on this matter and stick to one formula.

I would hate to see us knocked as a result of an earlier game deciding a group and thus negating the second game (ie players being rested and a bottom placed team winning).

Paul

It's certainly not optimal, and I'm surprised they are doing it this way. However, in Groups D and E (the main ones that really matter to Canada's survival), one team in each match is already through to the next round. For those teams, today's matches can determine what order they finish in and who they face next, but at least it's not as bad as it could be.

Ironic that the team to get screwed from the different times for the final group matches is Germany, who were the original culprits back in 1982. According to Jeffrey's post, South Korea, once they were down 2-0, played ultra-defensively just making sure they didn't lose 3-0 since they knew a 2-0 defeat was enough to get them through.

Archived