Canada U20 v Turkey?

Martyr

We were supposed to play in Antalya, Turkey last night. I can imagine the boys are pretty freaked out right now considering the terrorist bombing going on in Istanbul right now. They are supposed to go to Dubai on the 21st. I assume that they are far away from all the bombings - but you've got to feel for their parents, who must be pulling their hair out.

I checked the Turkish FA web site but they don't even have the Latvia result up yet.

http://www.tff.org/ENGLISH/tff_indexing.htm

If anyone finds any info about the match or their situation please post it in this thread. Thanks.

Actually the boys left Istambul at 8:55 am this morning and are off

to london(Heathrow)and going from there to Dubai. Bombings this morning were at 11:00 Am (local)therefor they should have already left. The Team beat Antalya's (I believe local Pro team) 4-1 on Monday and lost to Turkey Yesterday.I believe the score was 3-1 or 4-1.

You are right but I imagine the CSA is not flush with cash so they probably got everyone to London from NA (the cheapest place to fly to). Booked returned tickets to Instanbul for the squad from London. And then return tickets for London to Dubai. I imagine that would save them quite a bit of cash.

Anyway..its just an assumption.

Observer,

I believe thats exactly what they've done. Also with the final squad only beeing anounsed after tickets were issued, each player had a confimed ticket back to London and only a reservation from Heathrow

to Dubai which by now has been confirmed for the attending 20 players. As for flying from Istambul to London it's a 3-4 hour flight. If they can save a few hundred bucks on each tickets x players,coaches and staff (28) then what the heck that cash can be

spent wiser somewhere else. There may also be other logistic reasons

that are not known (ie.availability, timing etc.) . This didn't make much sence to me as well but hey, go figure.

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Friday, November 21, 2003

Mitchell Announces Final Youth Roster

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Men’s Youth (U-20) Head Coach Dale Mitchell has named his 20-player roster for Canada’s second consecutive FIFA World Youth Championship. The 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship will be held in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) from November 27th to December 19, 2003.

The roster was finalized following a 4-1 loss to Turkey on Wednesday, November 19th in Ataturk-Antalya Stadium in Turkey. Canada’s single goal was scored by Josh Simpson in the 72nd minute of the friendly.

“We failed to recover from a poor start today against a quality European side,” said Mitchell following the match. “Turkey scored goals at key times in the match when our concentration should have been better. The boys have worked hard during our camp here in Antalya.”

Canada will travel to Dubai, UAE today for final preparations.

In the forward position, Mitchell has named Wyn Belotte of (Wisla Krakow), Elliot Godfrey (Watford FC), Iain Hume (Tranmere Rovers), and Chris Lemire (Montreal Impact) to lead the attack for Canada.

The Midfield will be lined by Francesco Bruno (Syracuse University), Gordon Chin (Vancouver Whitecaps), Jason DiTullio (Montreal Impact), Waldemar Dutra (NK Osijek), Atiba Hutchinson (Osters IF), Sita-Tatay Matondo (Montreal Impact), and Simpson (University of Portland).

Defenders Andres Arango (Montreal Impact), Richard Asante (Syracuse University), David Edgar (Newcastle Utd. FC), Kevin Harmse (Tromso), Nikolas Ledgerwood (1860 Munich), and Winston Marshall (Wright State University) have been chosen to play on Canada’s back line.

Mitchell will bring three goalkeepers to the UAE; Alim Karim (Syracuse University), Thomas Lindley (Sheffield United FC), and Joshua Wagenaar (Hartwick College).

The A-League is well represented with five players; Arango, DiTullio, Lemire, and Matondo, and Chin.

Dylan Hughes was invited to the training camp in Turkey but turned down the invitation in order to remain with his club Kaiserslautern, thus eliminating him from the final selection.

Hutchinson, Karim, Marshall, and Matondo have joined the youth team following the two game CONCACAF Olympic qualifying series against El Salvador which Canada’s Under-23 team triumphed 5-4 on penalties in Kelowna, British Columbia on Wednesday.

Canada will face Australia, Brazil, and the Czech Republic in Group C. They begin first stage play on November 28th against Brazil, continue on December 1st against Australia, and conclude on December 4th against the Czech Republic.

Second stage play will begin on December 12th with a group of 16 teams; the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship final will take place on December 19th in Abu Dhabi, UAE.

Canada secured their spot after a 3-2 victory over the United States in Charleston, S.C. in November 2002 with two goals by Iain Hume and a single by Chris Lemire.

2003 FIFA WORLD YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP ROSTER

Pos # Name Club or Training Centre DOB Hometown Prov

GK 1 KARIM, Alim Syracuse University 20-Apr-83 Scarborough ON

D 2 MARSHALL, Winston Wright State University 26-Feb-83 Scarborough ON

D 3 LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas 1860 Munich (Germany) 16-Jan-85 Lethbridge AB

D 4 HARMSE, Kevin Tromso (Norway) 04-Jul-84 Coquitlam BC

M 5 DUTRA, Waldemar NK Osijek (Croatia) 20-Feb-83 Sherwood Park AB

D 6 ARANGO, Andres Montreal Impact 23-Apr-83 Etobicoke ON

M 7 DI TULLIO, Jason Montreal Impact 06-Jan-84 Montreal QC

M 8 CHIN, Gordon Vancouver Whitecaps 26-Mar-83 Burnaby BC

F 9 HUME, Iain Tranmere Rovers FC (England) 30-Oct-83 Brampton ON

F 10 BELOTTE, Wyn Wisla Krakow (Poland) 06-May-84 Montreal QC