23 man Irish pannel announced for Canada game.

Jayo

Just thought I'd let you guys know the teams been announced and it is...

Given (Newcastle United), Murphy (West Bromwich Albion), Colgan (Stockport County), O’Shea (Manchester United), Carr (Tottenham Hotspur), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Breen (Sunderland), O’Brien (Newcastle United), Harte (Leeds United), Finnan (Liverpool), Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Healy (Sunderland), Holland (Charlton Athletic), Miller (Celtic), Delap (Southampton), Kavanagh (Cardiff City), McPhail (Nottingham Forest), Kilbane (Everton), Reid (Nottingham Forest), Duff (Chelsea), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Morrison (Birmingham City).

Major suprise if West Hams David Connolly being left out for Gary Doherty up front, otherwise it's only minor debatable choices that probably wont effect the starting line up.

Potential new debuts are Andy Reid and Liam Miller, if you guys want to know anything about the players I can fill you in.

Considering the team they have, they are a bit of underachievers. Aside from

their world cup matches, I watched their series against Iran prior to the world cup

and they were not that impressive as that series could have gone either way really.

And considering that Iran and Canada matches in the past were close, maybe

this will turn out to be a close match as well.

Well, I just hope we don't get pasted twice in one week because talentwise

we are definitely overmatched.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Considering the team they have, they are a bit of underachievers.

I agree with you there, we have problems getting our team to play to the sum of it's parts sometimes. Espically the recent Euro 2004 qualifyers, we should have topped that group and instead finished third! Hopefully the new(ish) manager Kerr can turn it around, we have the players to achieve something come 2006 I think.

Considering the team they have, they are a bit of underachievers.

I agree with you there, we have problems getting our team to play to the sum of it's parts sometimes. Espically the recent Euro 2004 qualifyers, we should have topped that group and instead finished third! Hopefully the new(ish) manager Kerr can turn it around, we have the players to achieve something come 2006 I think.

their world cup matches, I watched their series against Iran prior to the world cup

and they were not that impressive as that series could have gone either way really.

Considering that:

1)They still are a good team that is often a contender in UEFA for WC, and euro spots and that this represents another away game for canada, you have to consider them the favourites. On the other hand We may have the element of familiarity and readiness from playing the czechs a few days earlier. Knowing this, for these two matches a better guage of our readiness for next year might be how we play rather than the actual result.

Playing all these games could be a benefit in the long run given that they are played in the toughest of circumstances ( ie.: away matches). What better way could there be to prepare when you play in the more difficult scenarios

Considering that:

1)They still are a good team that is often a contender in UEFA for WC, and euro spots and that this represents another away game for canada, you have to consider them the favourites. On the other hand We may have the element of familiarity and readiness from playing the czechs a few days earlier. Knowing this, for these two matches a better guage of our readiness for next year might be how we play rather than the actual result.

Playing all these games could be a benefit in the long run given that they are played in the toughest of circumstances ( ie.: away matches). What better way could there be to prepare when you play in the more difficult scenarios

I fully expect we will lose both matches, but I believe we can win either as well. If we can beat the Swiss on the road we can beat Ireland in Dublin. We should have a decent lineup and I can't see why we can't give these teams a game. In the end the play on the field is more important than the score, so I hope we give a good account of ourselves and learn a bit more about the squad.

cheers,

matthew

We ought to be better against the Irish than the Czechs (we certainly won't be favoured in either though) giving that its the 2nd match and that we will have a larger squad & thus more depth against the Irish. Plus, while the Irish have an impressive team, the Czech squad is even more impressive.

Archived