CMNT has used 33 players in last 13 months.

Vancouver Fan

Including Scotland we have played 8 games in total at the senior level.Our World Cup team has brought in and looked at a total of 33 players since the Scotland match last October.Here is a look at the list.

8games

Hastings-706 min.

Imhof-682min.

7games

Stalteri-630 min.

McKenna-621min.

6games

Fenwick-540min.

Hirschfeld-495min.

Pozniak-398min.

5games

Canizales-200min

4games

Nash-311min.

Onstad-270min

Fletcher-242min

Hutchinson-211min.

3games

De Vos-270min.

deGuzman-270min.

Dasovic-270min.

Nsaliwa-262min.

Hume-140min.

Corazzin-97min.

Friend-44min.

2games

Brennan-180min.

Radzinski-180min.

Bent-158min.

De Rosario-135min.

Xausa-70min.

1game

Bircham-90min.

Menezes-90min.

Pizzolitto-90min.

Watson-90min.

Peschisolido-70min.

Matondo-68min.

Jazic-45min.

Klukowski-30min.

Williams-22min.

We all have our favorites that we wish would play more often and those we feel shouldn't play at all and some who are not listed above and who we hope will be called into duty shortly.WCQ is still 7 months away and it looks that this list may yet grow some more depending on who shines in Olympic qualifying and U20 WC.

Thanks for all that work. Could spark some questions. Doe's the games total include games where a player was on the squad but never got any playing time?

Good question.No the games total does not include unused subs.Only where the player actually made an appearance.For example there was the Germany game where Jason Jordan was called but never made it to the field.I think Xausa was the same for the Scotland match.There were others of course.Remember Holger didn't like to sub much.I was just curious to see who's had a good look and who hasn't.I also had some free time on my hands.

Good job Vancouver fan. I was going the same thing (plus figuring out who had spent the most time in each position), but I hadn't updated it since the Germany game. With Holger gone, I didn't really see the point.

The first thing that jumped out at me then was that Hastings was our most consistent first choice starter. Looking at this now I'm surprised McKenna has as many minutes as he does and same with Canizalez. Fenwick at number five and DeVos at 13 explains a bit about our form of late.

I think 33 players is a pretty good number. We've called in at least four more guys who didn't get a look - Jordan, Budalic, Harmse and Reda. There might be more, but I can't think of them, did Stamatopolous back up anywhere? Reda was called for the US and then injured in training right?

I got the idea to track this because someone on a US board I followed got talking about the 93 players the US looked at between World Cups 98 and 2002. It produced a discussion about the 93 they might look at in the next four years. That list of 93 is impressive. There's at least five guys who were total garbage and a handful more who wouldn't have gotten a look with us. Now they're talking about using 29 guys in qualifying and I have no idea where that number came from, but it makes for interesting reading.

How many players do you think we will realistically look at over the qualifying period and how big does our pool need to be. If you include the five we didn't use, that's a pretty nice pool. Add Aguiar, Stamatopolous and Rogers and we have 40 guys in 13 months. Not bad at all. I can't think of too many guys (Bernier and maybe Gervais) we're missing and the only breakthrough should come from the younger guys stepping up in the next year or two.

cheers,

matthew

I think you are on the right track when you mention 40.Of course you'd probably have to subtract Watson and Dasovic at this point.Corazzin is still a possibilty.The players we havn't used in the last 13 months that you mentioned are definite candidates.Depending on how Olympic qualifying goes a few more names might be added.Maybe even someone from u20 like Belotte.

Leading up to the World Cup, this is one of the bright spots right now. The pool was indeed expanded under HO and now Miller and that is absolutely essential going to a long 18 game qualificaiton procedure.

I think if we go all the way, we will probably end up using as many as 30 of these guys, so the more friendlies and practice time, the better. Neverthless, hopefully we can get one game with our core 18 players at some point too.

I think it says something about our starting lineups of late when these important players have played in 4 games or less out of 8:

Nash-311min.

De Vos-270min.

deGuzman-270min.

Nsaliwa-262min.

Hume-140min.

Brennan-180min.

Radzinski-180min.

Bent-158min.

De Rosario-135min.

Bircham-90min.

Menezes-90min.

Peschisolido-70min.