News from Plymouth

Rupert

This is a story I've written for tomorrow's Western Morning News newspaper (www.thisisdevon.co.uk) here in Plymouth:

CANADA have released Plymouth Argyle midfielder Jason Bent to play for the Pilgrims at Queen’s Park Rangers on Saturday week.

If the Hoops beat Brentford at Loftus Road next Tuesday, they will be level on points with Argyle at the top of the Second Division. The Pilgrims were keen to keep hold of Bent because, unless their appeal against David Friio’s red card against Oldham last Saturday succeeds, they will be without the French midfielder due to suspension – and maybe Steve Adams due to injury.

Bent was due to play for Canada in a friendly in the Czech Republic on November 15 but the Canadian Soccer Association, mindful of Argyle’s problems, will now call him up only for another friendly against the Republic of Ireland in Dublin three days later.

Argyle manager Paul Sturrock said: “We’re very thankful to the Canadians. Jason has told them of our circumstances and they have been respective of that.”

Bent’s fellow midfielder Adams is almost certainly ruled out of Saturday’s FA Cup first-round trip to Northampton Town but may be fit to face QPR. “He has a slight tear in his calf muscle,” Sturrock explained.

Argyle have sold their entire allocation of 3,300 tickets for the trip to Loftus Road. The initial supply of 3,000 tickets sold out last weekend, and a further 300 restricted-view seats have been snapped up this week.

“We’re very pleased,” Sturrock said. “It’s wonderful backing, and hopefully the team will rise to the occasion.”

I don't mind this. I hope he goes 90 against the Irish. With Aguiar, Bircham, Imhof, Stalteri all available in the midfield we have lots of d-mid options and right side options. I wonder how QPR will feel with Argyle with Bent playing them while they miss Bircham (I assume).

cheers,

matthew

He did have a slight ankle injury last week but since then he has played 210 minutes of competitive first-team football in four days. So he's fit. And, no offence, but you have to be a lot fitter to play in the English Second Division than in, say, the A-League.

Remember though, Bircham has stated in the past that he did not want to miss any club dates while the team is fighting for promotion - and with Plymouth in first at the moment, this is probably a key match from his perspective. It wouldn't surprise me if Bircham, too, is only available for the Irish match. If so, a nice chance to look at Bernier methinks, as well as Aguiar (now that we know that all of our top U23 players will definitely be with the Olympic team that week).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Remember though, Bircham has stated in the past that he did not want to miss any club dates while the team is fighting for promotion - and with Plymouth in first at the moment, this is probably a key match from his perspective. It wouldn't surprise me if Bircham, too, is only available for the Irish match. If so, a nice chance to look at Bernier methinks, as well as Aguiar (now that we know that all of our top U23 players will definitely be with the Olympic team that week).

Boy, it really is falling into place for Bernier and Reda. Look at the U-23 roster and the guys who are probably going to be club-tied, and the Scandanavian players must be shoe-ins. At least, I sure hope so.

I'm all in favour of calling up Reda, but doesn't Bernier play in the Norwegian 2nd tier? I don't think that a match against a side the calibre of the Czechs is really going to be the right time to give this guy his first cap. We're going to need to field the best squad we possibly can just to avoid a blowout so I say leave Bernier at home and use Stalteri and Aguiar in central midfield.

Archived