Jump to content

Canucks in England - Oct 21


Recommended Posts

Pesch starts and plays 60 as Wigan and Sheffield United draw 1-1. DeVos of course, still injured. No sign of Brennan for Norwich.

In the Second, Iain Hume plays 90 and sets up a 90th minute game winning goal as Tranmere win 1-0. He seems to have put early season woes behind him. Bircham plays 90 as QPR lose 2-0 to 10 man Swindon (50 mins ->). Again nor sign of Mark Rogers for Wycombe.

Dunfield was an unused sub in Bury's game today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Text of the article for those who don't want to register:

Tranmere vs Swindon

Tranmere Rovers Football Club 1 - 0 Swindon Town Football Club




Prenton Park



Match Report

Gary Jones gave a timely reminder to the new boss of just what he can do with a vital winner in injury time.

Just as the game looked to be ending goalless a ball through by Iain Hume was met and fired home with precision by Jones for his fourth of the season.

A late penalty miss by Eugene Dadi didn’t go down too well but in the end it didn’t prove costly as Tranmere continued their resurgence under the new boss.

Brian Little kept faith with the side that beat Oldham on Saturday, naming both the same starting XI and subs bench, while the visitors handed a debut to 6’5” midfielder Junior Lewis, signed on a month’s loan from Leicester.

Deon Burton partnered Tommy Mooney in attack, but Paul Linwood, Graham Allen and Tyrone Loran looked solid as they limited

Iain Hume’s rich vein of form was continuing, twice bringing saves out of Rhys Evans in the opening seven minutes, as Tranmere started the brighter of the two sides.

They were dominating possession as well as working well as an attacking and defensive unit, Paul Linwood getting better and better with each game was solid in the heart of defence while Iain Hume was once again the main threat.

Simon Haworth was almost back on the scoresheet on nine minutes, Gareth Roberts whipping in a good cross for his fellow Welshman at the near post, but Evans reacted well to tip the header over Iain Hume.

It was all Tranmere now and Swindon had the crossbar to thank for keeping the match goalless two minutes later.

Hume did well in the area and could well have won a penalty, when his first shot looked to have been handled but with the return ball he curled a dangerous shot goalbound unluckily for him it was deflected onto the crossbar.

Swindon were forced into an early change on 22 minutes, goalkeeper Rhys Evans limping off to be replaced by veteran Bart Griemink.

Hume bought the first save out of Griemink on 32 minutes, letting fly wit a shot from the edge of the box which Griemink did well to parry wide. Haworth picked up the loose ball, laid it off for Connelly and Harrison headed the cross just wide.

John Achterberg gave Tranmere some nervy moments six minutes later, deciding not to come out for a ball and then kicking the clearance straight to Tommy Mooney. But the Rovers number one redeemed himself with a good save from the former Birmingham striker.

Matt Hewlett was the first player in the referee’s notebook, when he was shown the yellow card for a late challenge on Gareth Roberts.

Half Time Tranmere 0-0 Swindon

After some less than impressive goalkeeping at both ends things eventually settled down and Iain Hume was again the creator on 52 minutes breaking clear of the defense only for his first touch to let him down.

He reacted well and flicked the ball out for Roberts whose cross was just too close to the Town keeper, as Connelly prepared to shoot.

This was Connelly’s last contribution appearing to be injured as he headed straight down the tunnel after being replaced by Steven Jennings,

Hume and Haworth linked up well on 58 minutes, the former going close to making it three goals in three games. After some neat footwork he played a good one two with Haworth before hitting a shot straight down the throat of Griemink in the visitors goal.

Little made his second change of the match on 66 minutes, Eugene Dadi replacing Mickey Mellon as he did on Saturday, it paid off then so why not again tonight.

Tommy Mooney went for a speculative effort five minutes later, hitting a 45-yard lob after seeing Achterberg way off his line but the Dutchman watched as it sailed just over the bar.

The chance came about after four Rovers players saw shots blocked at the other end; the best falling for Iain Hume but some resolute defending prevented the deadlock being broken.

Tranmere had an excellent chance to open the scoring with just 10 minutes remaining with what can only be described a very harsh penalty when a shot by Harrison, straight at Hayward was deemed a handball.

With the regular penalty taker sat on the bench Eugene Dadi took responsibility but he blazed over from the spot.

Just as we looked to have dropped two points the winner came in injury time. Iain Hume once again the creator as he slid the ball through for Jones who made no mistake sliding the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

So two wins in two for the new boss and plenty of positives to take before the weekend’s tricky trip to QPR

Tranmere Rovers: Achterberg, Allen, Loran, Linwood, Roberts, Connelly (Jennings 53), Mellon (Dadi 66), Harrison, Navarro, Hume and Haworth.

Subs: Howarth, Nicholson, Jones

Swindon Town: Evans, Hewlett (Garrard 77), Gurney, Duke, Mooney, Burton, Heywood, Reeves, Robinson, Lewis, Howard.

Subs: Griemink, Stevenson, Smith, Viveash

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...