WWC - Interesting Things Going on in Group D

Massive Attack

If the Canadian girls pull off the win over Japan, finishing second in our group may not be a bad thing...

Australia has just pulled off a 1-1 tie with China.

Russia beat Ghana 3-0 earlier.

Russia needs a win or a tie against China to win first place in Group D. If Russia pulls this off, Canada would play Russia in the quarters.

Team MP W D L GF GA Pts

RUS 2 2 0 0 5 1 6

CHN 2 1 1 0 2 1 4

AUS 2 0 1 1 2 3 0

GHA 2 0 0 2 0 4 0

i thought the same. Even if China wins, they have not been that impressive and look like they could be beaten. Also, Russia only defeated Australia 2-1....a side we handled quite well.

This could set us nicely for a semi-final against the US. And then anything can happen.

The irony is that in spite of our bad performances....things could be going our way.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

i thought the same. Even if China wins, they have not been that impressive and look like they could be beaten. Also, Russia only defeated Australia 2-1....a side we handled quite well.

This could set us nicely for a semi-final against the US. And then anything can happen.

The irony is that in spite of our bad performances....things could be going our way.

But right now we are not handling anyone "quite well" so I don't know that we can extrapolate results. Either Russia, China will be a handful if we can get past Japan.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

But right now we are not handling anyone "quite well" so I don't know that we can extrapolate results. Either Russia, China will be a handful if we can get past Japan.

Good point! And either way, if you finish second you are stuck with the best team from the other group.

As an aside, there's been some mention on these boards that some of the teams picked hotties/cuties on their squad to enhance public appeal. But I think we can deem China innocent of any such accusations. [xx(]

The way we're playing right now anything is going to be difficult. We'll need a good performance to beat Japan. If we're going to go to the QF we're going to have to right the ship first.

This actually does remind me of the men at the Olympics. Start off by losing by more than we thought to a very good team, eke out a result and look bad doing so. Then we got a result (obviously a tie won't do for the women) and looked good doing so and then we played a great game in the QF to go on.

Russia or China will be a step up from Japan, but if we can do the business Saturday, we should be ready to play at a level that gives us a good chance in the QF.

cheers,

matthew

The way we're playing right now anything is going to be difficult. We'll need a good performance to beat Japan. If we're going to go to the QF we're going to have to right the ship first.

This actually does remind me of the men at the Olympics. Start off by losing by more than we thought to a very good team, eke out a result and look bad doing so. Then we got a result (obviously a tie won't do for the women) and looked good doing so and then we played a great game in the QF to go on.

Russia or China will be a step up from Japan, but if we can do the business Saturday, we should be ready to play at a level that gives us a good chance in the QF.

cheers,

matthew

Archived