Hamilton Thunder could move to top N.A. division

Today in the hamilton spectator there was a write up on how the thunder have made a bid for the A-league next year. the execultive director of the USL was at there game on thursday and was very pleased with the fan turn ouy. but the thing it the only said there was 500 people, one of the grands stands were full, the stadumi holes 5000 so there had to be at like 1500. If any could get this article can you tell me howyou get them of the web. thanks

www.cpsl.ca

www.hamiltonthunder.com

soccer_man__01@hotmail.com

This is the way you do it. Go to the article on the Web of the Hamilton Spectator. Once you are there, press on the left button of your mouse and start highlighting the whole article. Next, click on the right button of your mouse and select "copy". From there, "paste" the article on this website and you will see the article here on this page.

heres the write up its on www.hamiltonthunder.com

Thunder could move to top N.A. division

Josh Brown

Special to The Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton is one step closer to joining Canada's top soccer league after receiving a positive review from the North American A-League's head honcho.

"I came here very skeptical, however, what I'm seeing here is enormous potential," said David Askinas, executive director of the United Soccer Leagues (USL). "Unlike a major market like Toronto, you could be a very big fish in a smaller pond here. I think there is an opportunity for it to become a very big thing in the community. I'm encouraged. I think it can happen here."

The A-League includes the top pro teams in North America, such as the Toronto Lynx, Atlanta Silverbacks and Vancouver Whitecaps.

Askinas was on hand for Thursday's Canadian Professional Soccer League game at Brian Timmis Stadium between the Thunder and Brampton Hitmen. His comments are encouraging for the two-year-old franchise, especially after a rough month that has seen the team go through three coaches in three weeks and the withdrawal of a major sponsor.

Thunder management has been feverishly recruiting international players and coaches throughout the season in preparation for the potential jump to the A-League next year. The move would mean more money for players and a better calibre of soccer in Hamilton. If the deal goes through Hamilton would be the fifth Canadian team in the 19-team league.

Askinas has been going over marketing and financial proposals with Thunder management. Thursday's game was the first time he saw Thunder play. He was pleasantly surprised by the organization and the more than 500 fans in attendance. Ideally he'd like to see the Thunder play out of Ivor Wynne Stadium, next door to Brian Timmis, since it provides individual seats, better concession booths and corporate boxes.

"As a temporary home it sets up well," he said referring to Brian Timmis. "

Askinas said the USL -- which is the governing body of the A-League -- will spend the next month reviewing expansion plans and hope to make a decision about Hamilton by mid-September. Unfortunately the mood wasn't as peppy on the field where the Thunder dropped their second consecutive game, losing 2-1 to Brampton. The loss drops the club to third place in the league's western conference.

The Thunder came out strong but it was the Hitmen who struck first when Hugo Herrera grabbed a loose rebound and potted a goal at the 14 minute mark. Five minutes later Hamilton defender Srdjan Markovic picked up a red card, putting the Thunder down a man for the rest of the match. The patient Hitmen used the extra player wisely and upped their lead on a goal by Phil Ionadi for a 2-0 lead by halftime.

Despite being outmanned, the Thunder dominated the latter stages of the game and cut the lead in half. Speedy forward Kevin de Serpa took a pass from David Simpson and weaved through three Hitmen players before beating goalie Roy Blanche with just three minutes left in regulation time. But it was too little, too late.

The Thunder hosts St. Catharines Wolves next Thursday at Brian Timmis. Kick-off is 8:30 p.m

www.cpsl.ca

www.hamiltonthunder.com

soccer_man__01@hotmail.com

If the Hamilton Thunder is pretty close of winning an A-League franchise right, I just hope that the management of the club will consider the name change to the STEELERS. I was talking to the Thunder Marketing Director Steve Kalotinis about this issue, and he told me that the club will review the option of the name change. According to Kalotinis, the name Steelers will be consider very seriously in the selection process, but it still to soon to decide in anything. Hey hamiltonthunder!!! Have you managed to talk to Kalotinis about the name change??? Or have you forward an E-mail to Kalotinis about your thoughts on the name change???

HamiltonFan,

A-League.com is a fan site not the official site of the USL / A-League.

These are just reprints of all the articles that we have already seen. There is nothing new here.

If we can see something at http://www.uslsoccer.com/ then we can start to believe that there may be something to this.

At this point in time, everything we've read has been club generated apart from an interview with Askinas who was very polite and politically careful.

Archived