Man U question

Reza

It's pretty certain that they will sign star midfielder Joaquin Sanchez from Real Betis. That will more than make up for the loss of Veron... But officially Man Utd. haven't completed any major signings this summer YET.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

I haven't followed the English transfers very closely, but I was curious whether Man U has gotten anyone to replace Beckham and Veron with?

Reza

Andrew, New York City

Unless the NA games were a charade Man U doesn't need anybody else. Just give the ball to Ruud. Also, is Howard (aka Timmy) as good as the guys on Fox Sports World make him out to be? Or is it just a marketing ploy by Sir Alex? Don't get me wrong because Howard looked fine but a lot of keepers would.

kleberson is not a replacement for veron. kleberson is another djemba-type. we now have keane, butt, djemba, and kleberson (assuming permit goes through) as defensive midfielders. i think fergie is looking to move keano back to an anchor/central defender position sooner than keano would like.

also, i have heard nothing suggesting joaquin is eager to join united. he said he wants to stay at betis at least one more year!

tim howard is good, but his decision making leaves something to be desired. compared to other american goalkeepers he is THAT good. compared to the best europe has to offer, he is barely a first teamer. however, that said, give him 2 years in england and he'll be the best keeper in there. he's going to be another schmeichel. shouting and all.

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

Whooah there, cowboy.;)

Manchester U. might be the best team to get groomed on but he is not going to be the best 'keeper in England untell Friedel dies. (Damn Yankees!!)

Well wait and see about Howard. That man could be something all right, but we'll see. The EPL and the whole football culture may take a lot of adjusting. Especially mental.

"Minority of one"

quote:Originally posted by Reza

It's quite the team that Chelsea is putting together though. Should make things interesting.

Why didn't that Russian guy buy a Russian team and try to lead them to European glory? It really bugs me that he didn't invest at home, just like when Canadians don't. (Putting aside the questions surrounding his fortune, anyway. Otherwise the whole thing is pretty screwy.)

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Why didn't that Russian guy buy a Russian team and try to lead them to European glory? It really bugs me that he didn't invest at home, just like when Canadians don't. (Putting aside the questions surrounding his fortune, anyway. Otherwise the whole thing is pretty screwy.)

I agree, this guy should invest in football in his own country. Anyway, can you imagine how we could the money he spent this summer just buying 5-6 players? Where's Canada's football benefactor!?!

Nobody would want to go to Russia right now! Besides, it would be a bad investment buying expensive players for a Russian team since there will be no big pay-off later (ie. not as much money coming in like there could be at Chelsea).

The Russian league must be horrible right now!! The best team by far (CSKA Moskva) just became the first team ever to lose to a Macedonian team in the second-round of Champions' League Qualifying. They lost to FK Vardar by 3-2 aggregate.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

[brWhy didn't that Russian guy buy a Russian team and try to lead them to European glory?

Andrew, New York City

"Just give the ball to Ruud": That's the problem. There's nobody to give the ball to Ruud as the team stands now! Don't let the NA games fool you - they're just friendlies. Btw, Sporting crushed United yesterday so if you wanna talk about friendlies....

quote:Originally posted by kclee

Unless the NA games were a charade Man U doesn't need anybody else. Just give the ball to Ruud.

Andrew, New York City

Originally posted by amacpher

"Just give the ball to Ruud": That's the problem. There's nobody to give the ball to Ruud as the team stands now! Don't let the NA games fool you - they're just friendlies. Btw, Sporting crushed United yesterday so if you wanna talk about friendlies....

Of course you are right. I was just being facetious because Ruud did look unstoppable. Glad to see Sporting win over Man U.

Archived