G&M on ManU....

the New York Yankees would get even more worse of a reception in europe because no one cares about baseball. Therefore, it is a fair exchange, hmmm, 57,000 at the Coliseum, in fact, no bad, better than any (formerly - Los Angeles) Raiders NFL matches that were played there and go figure, people know who the Raiders were in L.A.

Yeah, glad to see it wasn't just me who thinks 57,000 is a decent attendance. I mean, we're talking about probably the worst sports-town in North America here, if not the world! The game should have been played in a city where something other than what kind of car you drive matters.

Andrew, New York City

But I think the writer's point was that the people who attended the game were already Mexican Club América fans or English Man United fans. One of the big reasons for the tour by the Euro clubs is to try to attract some new interest, but obviously this didn't work in Los Angeles. If this were in Toronto, and I'm sure many other cities, the local media would be all over it, generating hype, and non-fans couldn't help but take notice, which is what the touring club would be hoping for.

Speaking of the Toronto media, they had a short write-up of this game in the Toronto Star. They didn't have a write-up of the Gold Cup final, and didn't even mention the Barcelona vs. Juventus game, which was much better and more significant. This is what got me hating Man United in the first place (yes, the hype which I spoke of above actually works as anti-hype on me).

Wasn't the match moved from the 27,000 seat Home Depot Centre to the larger LA Colliseum because of ticket demand? And I think 57,000 is fairly decent for a meaningless friendly. If LA Had a 60,000 seat NFL football stadium, this game would be a sell out (or a near one) at that.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

But I think the writer's point was that the people who attended the game were already Mexican Club América fans or English Man United fans. One of the big reasons for the tour by the Euro clubs is to try to attract some new interest, but obviously this didn't work in Los Angeles. If this were in Toronto, and I'm sure many other cities, the local media would be all over it, generating hype, and non-fans couldn't help but take notice, which is what the touring club would be hoping for.

You hit the nail on the head. 57,000 is no big deal for Mexican soccer in LA. I was at a Mexico vs. Argentina (Only their domestic players) friendly at the LA Coliseum in February and it drew 70,000.

quote:Speaking of the Toronto media, they had a short write-up of this game in the Toronto Star. They didn't have a write-up of the Gold Cup final, and didn't even mention the Barcelona vs. Juventus game, which was much better and more significant. This is what got me hating Man United in the first place (yes, the hype which I spoke of above actually works as anti-hype on me).

Why was the Barcelona vs. Juventus game more significant?

quote:Originally posted by Rivaldo

Why was the Barcelona vs. Juventus game more significant?

Well, I just figured the combination of the two teams is bigger on a global scale and they have more of a history/rivalry with each other, particularly after meeting a couple of months ago in the Champions League. But then again, since this was a friendly maybe that didn't really matter, and maybe the uniqueness of having a huge English team against a big Mexican team made that one more significant. Whatever, either way the Star should have at least mentioned Barcelona vs. Juventus if they were going to mention Club América vs. Man United, but it is a common trend for Man United and other English teams to get better treatment.

Archived