Field Turf

ted

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

No. There are significant differences between corporate culture in Canada and the United States. In Canada the culture is to whine about taxes and put as little back into the community as is possible. In the United States, the culture is to whine about taxes and put something back into the community (Arts, Education, Sports), albeit often targeted towards the sectors that least need it. Tragically, this difference extends also to the uberwealthy, although in Canada, the uberwealthy do pay significantly more taxes. There is absolutely no way that a Stadium in Toronto would attract any significant Corporate interest, and even naming rights will go for a meagre amount. Also, in the United States, for reasons that defy explanation, the public sector is more than willing to subsidize professional sports teams to the tune of millions, simply to have the sports team in their community. Note that one the of MLS Stadiums has a local school board participating to the tune of $10,000,000. Think that would happen in Canada? And thank goodness it doesn't, I say. But there is no excuse for the corporate element.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

Ahh, the field of battle for the modern City-State. Professional sports.

If we had more cash I can just imagine Mayor Glen Murray happily joining the fray. In his finest after hours lisp "Bring me my armor!"

"Minority of one"

I disagree. Corporate donations need to be explored. I can provide numerous examples in Kitchener Waterloo alone...

RIM Park in Waterloo - RIM employees provided $7 million (the City

after the fact decided to name the park in the company's honour)

- Manulife has its name on the Recreation complex in RIM

($million plus)

Schlegel Centre WLU - $2 million from the Schlegel family

(Pavestone Company)

Children's Museum in Kitchener - $millions from Jim Balsillie of RIM

Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo- $120 million from the three founders of RIM.

Centre International Governance and Innovation, Waterloo - $30 million from Jim Balsillie of RIM.

All of the above corporate donations occurred over the past 5 years. And I doubt my community is unique.

I would not paint corporate Canada with that brush. The key is to understand what interests the Corporate donor. If you don't make proposals you don't get.. It seems we decided to go directly to government without any effort.

No. There are significant differences between corporate culture in Canada and the United States. In Canada the culture is to whine about taxes and put as little back into the community as is possible. In the United States, the culture is to whine about taxes and put something back into the community (Arts, Education, Sports), albeit often targeted towards the sectors that least need it. Tragically, this difference extends also to the uberwealthy, although in Canada, the uberwealthy do pay significantly more taxes. There is absolutely no way that a Stadium in Toronto would attract any significant Corporate interest, and even naming rights will go for a meagre amount. Also, in the United States, for reasons that defy explanation, the public sector is more than willing to subsidize professional sports teams to the tune of millions, simply to have the sports team in their community. Note that one the of MLS Stadiums has a local school board participating to the tune of $10,000,000. Think that would happen in Canada? And thank goodness it doesn't, I say. But there is no excuse for the corporate element.

Guest Georgio
quote:No. There are significant differences between corporate culture in Canada and the United States. In Canada the culture is to whine about taxes and put as little back into the community as is possible. In the United States, the culture is to whine about taxes and put something back into the community (Arts, Education, Sports), albeit often targeted towards the sectors that least need it. Tragically, this difference extends also to the uberwealthy, although in Canada, the uberwealthy do pay significantly more taxes. There is absolutely no way that a Stadium in Toronto would attract any significant Corporate interest, and even naming rights will go for a meagre amount. Also, in the United States, for reasons that defy explanation, the public sector is more than willing to subsidize professional sports teams to the tune of millions, simply to have the sports team in their community. Note that one the of MLS Stadiums has a local school board participating to the tune of $10,000,000. Think that would happen in Canada? And thank goodness it doesn't, I say. But there is no excuse for the corporate element.

The Oil companies in Calgary and even a couple that I have worked for have significant investment in community (education, education, sports). It seemed when I worked for Gulf Canada, they were either making donations or supporting the community in some form on a weekly basis. The tax right-offs make it worth while for Canadian companies to make contributions.

In Calgary, there is the

Talisman Centre (was Lindsay park) - $10 million

Pengrowth Energy - everyone knows that one.

Jimmy Condon - avails the Jimmy Condon award ($1000) to every student athlete in Alberta and the Jimmy Condon hockey arena/complex in Calgary.

Max Bell - Max Bell Arena for hockey

The only one I am sure of the amount of money donated is the Talisman Center because Talsiman has been in alot of trouble because of their operations in Sudan and the contribution was seen as basically blood money by a few protesting human rights groups.

Nevertheless, a 10 million contribution to any project ranging from 20 mil to 40 mil is quite significant.

I guess my problem is more with the cost, size and surface of the facility though. Maybe the CSA is trying to see how much they can get from the gov't before they go corporate.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

I disagree. Corporate donations need to be explored. I can provide numerous examples in Kitchener Waterloo alone...

RIM Park in Waterloo - RIM employees provided $7 million (the City

after the fact decided to name the park in the company's honour)

- Manulife has its name on the Recreation complex in RIM

($million plus)

Schlegel Centre WLU - $2 million from the Schlegel family

(Pavestone Company)

Children's Museum in Kitchener - $millions from Jim Balsillie of RIM

Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo- $120 million from the three founders of RIM.

Centre International Governance and Innovation, Waterloo - $30 million from Jim Balsillie of RIM.

All of the above corporate donations occurred over the past 5 years. And I doubt my community is unique.

I would not paint corporate Canada with that brush. The key is to understand what interests the Corporate donor. If you don't make proposals you don't get.. It seems we decided to go directly to government without any effort.

I am sure everyone could provide "examples" however, the statisitcal evidence is very clear, and Canadian firms donate far less than than their American counterparts, Research in Motion not withstanding.

Point was not the amounts. More that we can't afford to ignore them..

Corporate donors that is.

I am sure everyone could provide "examples" however, the statisitcal evidence is very clear, and Canadian firms donate far less than than their American counterparts, Research in Motion not withstanding.

Archived