Lazio-Chelsea on TV Sun

beachesl

Damn Telelatino! Please get your schedule out sooner! When this game didn't turn up on their schedule I tuned in to the Web audio broadcast instead. Then I received their e-mail notice during the game! This isn't the first time this has happened, their system isn't too reliable.

Tune in and see the new Rivaldo! No, not a player who's as good as Rivaldo, but a player who's named Rivaldo! He's a young guy from Paraguay.

For a Canadian connection, apparently there is a Lazio scout, supposedly the guy who discovered Alessandro Nesta, checking out some youngsters in Woodbridge this weekend. There's an article in the July 18 edition of Lo Specchio, a local Italian paper. I'll post more if I can find the article.

BTW, beachesl, I deleted my spoiler in the other thread and adjusted your message appropriately. (I also reversed "Chelsea-Lazio" to "Lazio-Chelsea" since it's more accurate. [:P])

Damn Telelatino! Please get your schedule out sooner! When this game didn't turn up on their schedule I tuned in to the Web audio broadcast instead. Then I received their e-mail notice during the game! This isn't the first time this has happened, their system isn't too reliable.

Tune in and see the new Rivaldo! No, not a player who's as good as Rivaldo, but a player who's named Rivaldo! He's a young guy from Paraguay.

For a Canadian connection, apparently there is a Lazio scout, supposedly the guy who discovered Alessandro Nesta, checking out some youngsters in Woodbridge this weekend. There's an article in the July 18 edition of Lo Specchio, a local Italian paper. I'll post more if I can find the article.

BTW, beachesl, I deleted my spoiler in the other thread and adjusted your message appropriately. (I also reversed "Chelsea-Lazio" to "Lazio-Chelsea" since it's more accurate. [:P])

Thanks, I lead with Chelsea so that those of us who are starved for soccer on TV would follow my idea of not opening the other thread.

Nice to see some players in blue jersys for a change (all those damn clubs, as opposed to countries, with red jerseys!).

It will , however, only be my second choice for the weekend. The WNT game live on 7:00 pm EDT Sunday is what I am really looking forward to.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Nice to see some players in blue jersys for a change (all those damn clubs, as opposed to countries, with red jerseys!).

You're not going to see what you're probably expecting to see. Chelsea wore dark blue (almost navy from the photo I saw) and Lazio wore white with dark blue sides and shoulders. I don't know about Chelsea but what Lazio wore is official for the coming season, probably for the Champions League though it hasn't yet been made clear.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

You're not going to see what you're probably expecting to see. Chelsea wore dark blue (almost navy from the photo I saw) and Lazio wore white with dark blue sides and shoulders. I don't know about Chelsea but what Lazio wore is official for the coming season, probably for the Champions League though it hasn't yet been made clear.

Danny,

Do you have any Idea where that stadium is and which club uses it? I was curious while watching bits and pieces of the game and was trying to figure out where the game was played. I quickly clued in that it wasn't The Olympic stadium nor Stamford Bridge. Now that I know from this post that it was Stadio Flaminio, Where is this stadium?

Stadio Flaminio is also in Rome. It is a 35,000 all-seater, used as the National Stadium for Rugby, as well as other field sports. It was built in 1957, 5 years after the Stadio Olimpico was completed. It's great because it doesn't have the nearly-omnipresent track that seems to curse so many stadia in Italy. I watched a tape of the game immediately after the Woman's game last night, and was struck (in obvious comparison) by how well the grass there performed. Undoubtedly a better place to watch and play football, although it has no canopies for the fans. We'll see the Olimpico used for all but exhibiton games though, as it seats over 82,000. Lazio and Roma have been talking about building a shared large soccer-only stadia for the last couple of years, but that is unlikely to happen for awhile given the large financial problems of both clubs.

Excellent response from beachesl! Are you Italian? You seem to follow Italian soccer much closer than most people. Do you have a favourite team?

The thing about Olimpico is that Lazio and Roma can't fill more than 50-75% of it for an average game. It's nice to have the extra space when they play each other, Juve, the Milans or big European opponents, but even in these cases Olimpico is not more than 90% full. So they could both use a smaller stadium (without a track). However, the real clincher is that the city, not the clubs, owns Olimpico, so I think ownership is the real reason why they are always talking about a new stadium. But this may be intended more to threaten the city than anything else. They have offered to buy Olimpico several times but that never worked out, so maybe they feel they can pressure the city into giving them more control over it by threatening to leave.

BTW, Lazio are now off to the USA and Mexico. They will play CF América in San Jose on July 23, CF Monterrey in Monterrey on July 26, and Los Angeles Galaxy in Los Angeles on July 31.

I think I'm an Italian trapped in an Anglo body. I have travelled around Italy somewhat. Have cheered for Napoli since the 60's, and have kept an eye on them even though I'm no fan of Maradonna. Probably because I love the Neapolitans. They are friendly and gregarious. They can't stop talking, and keep talking to you after you've walked a block away. I think all Italians secretly long to be Neapolitan even as they make fun of them.

Basically, I cheer against any team from Milan, because of the way the city and its teams are so dominant. They have a great stadium there, though. I have been to Italy 5 times in my life. I always see an opera and a calcio game when I go, or the visit wouldn't feel complete.

Archived