Seattle player throws ball at Calgary bench

Stormy rivalry with Seattle

By IAN BUSBY -- Calgary Sun

This pesky Calgary Storm team is getting under the Seattle Sounders' skin.

With the game tied yesterday and a minute left in extra time, Sounders midfielder Zach Scott threw the ball at the Storm bench instead of towards the goal.

"We're doing well against them and it shows when they're getting into fights -- I like that," said Storm substitute coach Tommy Wheeldon Jr.

Calgary and Seattle were even at 1-1 in an A-League game at Foothills Athletic Park when the ball scooted out of bounds in front of the Storm bench.

As Scott came over to throw it back in, he turned around and fired it back at Wheeldon.

"The guy came in all guns blazing because we haven't given the ball back and he's stamping on our feet," said Wheeldon, who was promptly tossed for arguing the play.

"Then he turns around and throws the ball at me -- and he gets nothing for it. Somebody has to show me the rules because I don't understand it. At least the game was nearly over.

"It's a black mark against my name again."

Calgary head coach Tommy Wheeldon Sr. was in the stands for a suspension from getting red-carded a week ago against the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Midfielder Nick Zuniga got the Storm on the board in the 38th minute after jumping into the rush, pulling down a loose ball and firing it past Sounders goalkeeper Rich Cullen.

Seattle drew even in the 53rd minute on a beautiful one-timer, as Marco Velez sent a perfect cross through to Andrew Gregor, who zipped it by Storm goalkeeper David Wiebenga.

With the tie, Calgary improves to 4-7-2 and rides a two-game unbeaten streak. The Storm handed the Sounders (6-2-4) one of its only losses this season prior to falling in extra time the last time the teams met.

Even the wolf can learn. Even the sheep can turn. Even the frog can become at last the prince. - Peter Hammill, Over (1977)

Archived