Del Bosque, Hierro gone; Rijkaard to Barça

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Real Madrid has decided not to offer Vicente del Bosque a coaches contract for next season. Rumours point to Ferguson's assistant at ManU, is that Carlos Queroz? Supposedly he is negotiationg already, probably even part of the Beckham deal. If so he's a person who could smooth Beckham's entry and would have a good connection with the Portuguese speakers on the team (Conceiçao, Ronaldo, R. Carlos, Figo).

In even bigger news perhaps Fernando Hierro will not be offered another year, with today's announcement effectively denying him the chance to say goodbye last night with the Spanish title. The rift between sport director Valdano and Hierro deepened in the dressing room after the victory last night when Hierro threatened to not publically celebrate the league if Valdano insisted that the team return a second time to greet the packed house calling for them after the match. The team was supposedly irate they were not allowed to jump around the fountain at Cibeles where they habitually celebrate titles, as it is a heritage monument; in response the idea was to NOT go to the Madrid city hall where leagues are always offered as well. Basically acting like a bunch of kids.

Losing Hierro is good for Madrid, as it forces them to look for that top central defender they've needed for years.

The dressing room at Madrid is a bit of a disaster, and we'll see if any new coach can handle things as well as del Bosque did with his soft easy manner. Hierro has gone sour, and probably the move is good on that level. AS for Del Bosque, effectively, by being so low-key, he let his stars do the shining, but did not always do right by ceding to the king-pins in the dressing room, Hierro among them.

Barça have signed Frank Rijkaard for 4 years, in our obsession with the damn Dutch, sorry about that Dennis and Oranje, but it is really too much. Raddy Antic is gone, after doing a decent job over half a year. Frank de Boer will not get a new contract offer, already there is interest from Souness at Blackburn for their UEFA run; Cocu will stay another year, a very fine player, my vote for one of the most underrated players of Europe.

I don't know if there was a "dressing room" disaster at Real this year. I think Del Bosque did great at controlling the egos involved, a lot better than some other big teams in Europe. More of a "front office" disaster in Del Bosque not being backed up and the President there going on buying sprees for player personnel without taking Del Bosque's account of the matter to have a more balnced team.

Imagine, a coach available that knows to act civilized, how to manage to effectively communicate to players, to sort out potential ego problems and to manage to succeed even with meddling bureaucrats trying to screw things up. Hire him now for our MNT! So what if he can't speak English

Probably the Real management got tired of Del Bosque politely and non- publically, but logically, telling them that they need a good defense, not just going broke hiring or trying to hire offensive superstars like Ronaldo, Beckham and Ronaldinho all the time. I don't believe it. I do have respect for the various Portuguese coaches being considered. Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a cockeyed move to me.

Barca's new president Laporta started the breakaway group 7 years ago because of the massive dissent engendered by the firing of Cruyff as coach, so it's almost like he has to show he is somehow redressing the situation. Again, I think that firing a successful Antic (hired by the old guard) is a bit cockeyed, sort of like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I guess winning the Spanish League isn't enough, The Champions League must mean everything to Real.

-------------------------

"You tell me I make no difference,

At least I'm f*ucking trying,

What the f*uck have you done?"

In My Eyes - Minor Threat

Del Bosque paid the price of not winning the champions' league and keeping Hierro in the line-up to long...

François

www.impactsoccer.com

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I guess winning the Spanish League isn't enough, The Champions League must mean everything to Real.

-------------------------

"You tell me I make no difference,

At least I'm f*ucking trying,

What the f*uck have you done?"

In My Eyes - Minor Threat

Del Bosque paid the price of not winning the champions' league and keeping Hierro in the line-up to long...

François

www.impactsoccer.com

Del Bosque can't be blamed for playing Hierro, since he is not the one who decides who his players are, the president is.

Besides, with the state that Real's defence is in, who can blame him?

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Del Bosque can't be blamed for playing Hierro, since he is not the one who decides who his players are, the president is.

Besides, with the state that Real's defence is in, who can blame him?

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Archived