MLS Coverage

Mimglow

I am loving the fact that we get to see the MLS live on Fox Sportsworld Canada. I cannot believe the amount of headway they've made in the past couple of years in terms of talent.

ESPN should get rid of Eric Wynalda. All he does is whine when players make mistakes. He is so negative. A more balanced approach would be more pleasurable.

Anyone with me on this?

Anybody got a favorite MLS team? Personally, I love the New England Revolution. Players, jerseys, location. Awesome. Can't wait to see them in person sandwiched between Gold Cup games on July 12th!

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

John Harkes is outstanding. Very insightful, very knowledgeable and willing to call a spade a spade (diplomaticaly of course. Well, mostly). Given experience I think our man Craig could do at least as good a job as Mr. Harkes and that would only be a good thing for football broadcasts in this country.

Agreed that the football has come leaps and bounds over the seasons. What can I say? MLS is a billionair's play thing. Wish Canada had a billionair with a thing for playing.

Too detached to have a favorite team but I'll admit I do follow a little bit of the 'quakes doings. Canadian content and all that.

"Minority of one"

Yes, John Harkes is really good. Easy to listen to.

That billionaire's plaything is starting to look first rate. Hey, maybe Eugene Melnick likes soccer.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

I've been following the league since day one. I somehow latched on to Kansas City (it might be Pat Harrington's fault) who always has been good to Canadians and Scots and played nice attractive football for their first few years before Ganslerball reared its ugly head.

I'm really enjoying watching games on FSWC and not having to try to track down bars with ESPN2 and the FSW regional channels to see a few games. I actually thought the play was better last year and the year before than what I've seen this year, but it might be early in the year to say that. It's definitely miles ahead of the first season's play.

All that being said if Anschultz or Hunt ever pull out the league is in big trouble. It's amazing that two people can basically sustain an entire league.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

I have to say that I like the way they try to play the game. I am pretty impressed at the way they keep the ball on the ground as much as they do. Having said that, of the game I've seen, there has been little in the way of creative attacking play. I'd say the top 3-4 teams would be competitive in the English 1st, but probably fighting to avoid relegation due to an inability to score. The best game I've seen for skill was the San Jose - Columbus game. But even the only goal in that game came off a defensive miscue. I didn't watch the second half of today's game but the 1st half didn't reach that level.

The opinions expressed above are just that.

I'd agree with the assessment that the level of play is actually down this year as compared to last and 01. The style is encouraging in most of the teams. The real area lacking in my mind is in the backs. Very few except Hejduk can actually get forward and get a semi-decent cross in. As well, the marking can be a shambles at times.

However, overall I really like MLS because it is bent on trying to play "real" soccer and not jazz it up or disguise it as something else.

I follow the Quakes (even have a supporters scarf) because of DeRos, and Yallop. Not a big Onstad fan, but he'll do. Don't mind KC either and Quill impresses the hell out of me.

Archived